Delta baggage question...

MamaParrotHead

I had told my sister that she'd be able to put her formal wear (and my nephew's) in our rolling garment bag for our upcoming cruise. But having never packed for 4 on a cruise before, I underestimated the amount of hanging items my family would be bringing, and overestimated the room in the bag. My question is...if she just has a small, standard garment bag, with 2-3 dresses and a child's dinner jacket, would Delta allow her to be one of her "two personal items" carried onboard? Both she and my nephew have tickets, and both are only planning on bringing aboard a small backpack each for their 4 "total personal items" allowed.

If it come down to her having to pay, then I guess we mash as many items into our garment bag as needed, I'd just rather NOT.

Thanks.

If the garment bag will fit in the overhead, the I would say the "small" backpacks are their personal items and the garment bag theircarry-on. Of course having said that, my experience with Delta is it is often up to the whim of the gate personnel. I would carry it but be prepared if I had to check it at the gate.

-------------------

Helen

Thanks. That's what I was thinking as well.

And I did read the baggage guidelines...but my thinking is that a mostly-empty garment bag (regardless of dimension, as garment bags aren't THAT large, in general) wouldn't take up much more room than a man's long, wool winter coat.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking as well.

And I did read the baggage guidelines...but my thinking is that a mostly-empty garment bag (regardless of dimension, as garment bags aren't THAT large, in general) wouldn't take up much more room than a man's long, wool winter coat.

Never, ever try to apply logic to the whims of airline gate agents!

I just flew Delta last month and the woman at the gate would ONLY allow 1 personal item(purse) and 1 carry on. No more..hope that helps:)

I wonder how that works, considering it's clearly stated in the baggage guidelines that two are allowed. Interesting.

ETA: I see the "Exceptions" clause at the end of the listing. Ah haaaaaaa....

Each airline clearly states on it's websites what constitutes "carryon" and "personal" items.

I realize that. But if some woman's 3 foot high-fashion boho handbag is the same size as my backpack, and both have similar contents, how is it that my backpack isn't my purse/personal item?

I realize that. But if some woman's 3 foot high-fashion boho handbag is the same size as my backpack, and both have similar contents, how is it that my backpack isn't my purse/personal item?

Your posts are really confusing and I don't think you understand about carry-on baggage.

You are allowed one personal item, which DL clearly defines - a purse, a briefcase, a backpack, etc. They are all PERSONAL items. Your backpack is a personal item. Her purse is a personal item.

In addition, you may bring on one other bag, a rollerboard, garment bag, another purse, etc., as long as it complies with DL's carry-on requirments.

justluv2cruisewithhubby's observation that DL would allow one personal item (ex. a purse) and one carry-on item (ex. a rollerboard) is absolutely correct. It's not an exception.

You are overthinking this. Your garment bag can be a carry-on as already stated, as long as the dimensions are within DL's guidelines for a carry-on item. Otherwise, you'll probably be asked to check it.

Trying to call a super-large purse/tote as a "personal item" will rarely work. If you are obviously trying to "game" the system, the GA could very well send you back to the check-in counter to check the bag and pay for it. Remember...they have the power to do a LOT to you, either way.

Be reasonable. Also, let everyone handle their own luggage and you will be off the hook.

If the garment bag is the sort a new suit often comes in and can be folded in thirds then it might fit in an overhead bin.....if there is room in a bin.

These days with people trying to avoid paying baggage charges, the gate agents are really getting fierce. The airlines intend to get their money.

There is too much stress in trying to game the system. A small garment bag that gets checked will not have a chance of surviving.

Archived