Age of Cruisers?

cruzwpj

I just got off the Eurodam in Ft Lauderdale after repositioning from Quebec City, and I would say the avg age was alot older then previous HAL cruises I have been on. Of the 2100ppl, there were at most 20ppl under 30yrs old and maybe 200ppl under 50yrs, no exageration. I imagine school being back in and the fact it was a 14day cruise upped the avg age for this one. There was still a great time had by all.

We just alighted last Friday from the Norwegian Spirit on a voyage from Québec to Boston. It could have been mistaken for a floating nursing home. But there were some younger people on board so were not totally in our own age group.

We were on Sept sailings to Canada/New England on both the Crown Princess(2008) and about 6 years ago on Carnival Victory.

we are in our 40's and both trips we were clearly one of the youngest. I would say it was mostly 60+++ and very few children in Sept.

We enjoyed ourselves very much, but if this would be a negative for you I would think again.

Cruises that don't provide 'thill a minute' scenery and entertainment.

I'm no spring chicken. I can say honestly that many of the passengers who choose to spend their money this way are at least Medicare age.

These are considered physically easy and safe trips. Bingo!

We did a Montreal to New York cruise at the start of Oct. 2003. Most people were in their 50s and 60s. There were very few in 20s and 30s. Never saw a child on the ship (Princess regal). Despite it being easy for those in the north east to get to the ports there were few on board from there, likely due to they are used to the leaves changing colours and are familar with some of the ports. People from California, followed by Texas dominated our passenger list.

Wayne S.

We just alighted last Friday from the Norwegian Spirit on a voyage from Québec to Boston. It could have been mistaken for a floating nursing home. But there were some younger people on board so were not totally in our own age group.

A Floating nursing home?????

somehow that just doesn't sound very nice

Is there perhaps a cutoff age where you think if you are over 50 or 60 you should not live, have fun, cruise, dance, etc.

Hell I've seen couples in their 80's and 90's dancing, singing , holding hands, walking faster and doing more then the younger ones on cruises.

I have to agree with RangerMom. You have to be careful about your wording on these boards. A nursing home is usually defined as a place where adults live either on a temporary or permanent basis because they are recovering from illness, or because of a permanent disability need nursing care.

I doubt that adults in need of nursing home care would be on a cruise. Certainly you will find people using walkers and wheelchairs, but they are enjoying themselves in spite of their mobility limitations.

If your attitude toward seniors is similar to your friend, probably a cruise (with the exception of Carnival and other "party" ships) is not for you.

:confused:

Any input on the general age of passengers on the New England/Canada cruise? I respect the older generation but as a friend of mine stated, "it felt like we were in a nursing home" on the Explorer of the Seas.

Just remember there will come a day that you too will fall into the catagory that your friend chooses to catagorize as the "older generation that makes you feel like you're in a nursing". There will also be someone younger making the same comment. How will you feel than ?

By the way I don't fall into this catagory . Though your friend would probably lump me into the same catagory since I live with MS and have to use a mobility aid. I'm entitled to enjoy myself on cruise without having to worry about narrow minded people making such insensitive comments. Some of those people that your friend feels infringe upon their cruise experience have actually been some of the most fun people I have ever met on a cruise. Also, it's well known fact in the cruise industry that the average age of the passengers on an Alaskan Cruise and New England/Canada Cruise are older than those on a Carribean or Mecico Cruise.

A Floating nursing home?????

somehow that just doesn't sound very nice

Is there perhaps a cutoff age where you think if you are over 50 or 60 you should not live, have fun, cruise, dance, etc.

Hell I've seen couples in their 80's and 90's dancing, singing , holding hands, walking faster and doing more then the younger ones on cruises.

If it were merely elderly passengers then that might have been true. However, on our voyage there were a substantial number of passengers using canes, walkers (some with seats for resting), wheelchairs, scooters, portable oxygen . . . just about every conceivable assistive device imaginable. These were substantial limitations on their abilities, limitations that likely would not be present with a younger crowd. The age and mobility of many passengers was quite similar to the age and mobility of the residents of the facility where my grandmother had spent the last years of her life. In my view these are clearly indications of a nursing home.

The original poster questioned whether or not they might feel as though they were in a nursing home, and I stand by my answer that, yes, they may very well have that feeling.

^ Regardless of your explanation, I think your comment was uncalled for, inappropriate, and somewhat derogatory in nature given the context in which OP was asking about the age of passengers.

~OP, I agree completely with CMM; that was exactly our situation too, on our cruise last year in September. Good time, beautiful cruise, fabulous itinerary, older crowd.

^ Regardless of your explanation, I think your comment was uncalled for, inappropriate, and somewhat derogatory in nature given the context in which OP was asking about the age of passengers.

The comment was accurate. The original poster called for comments and I directly responded to the call. I used the same words as the original poster, so the comment was appropriate. Only one who views nursing homes generally in a negative light would view the comment to be derogatory (nor is the word "floating" derogatory since some many of the attributes of a cruiseship can be preceded by that word, e.g., floating basketball court).

The fact is that people get old, and as their capacities decrease some require assistive devices and/or personal care attendants. Nursing homes are filled with old people who use such devices and attendants. This particular voyage was, as well, well-patronized by this demographic. This may be important to know by potential cruise passengers who might want to be surrounded by certain types of passengers (e.g., young and athletic, mixed ethnicities, specific sexuality, etc.). This was a cruise filled with old and slow people. There is no reason to use politically-correct code words that tends to hide the truth.

^ You're absolutely right; OP did use the term "nursing home" first, as described by a friend. I had missed that the first time around, and I apologize.

This whole conversation makes me sad, though. I still think it's an inappropriate term to use for this purpose. I feel it's being used in a derogatory manner for the purposes of this discussion, which is never appropriate.

That's all for me in this thread. Thanks.

Archived