Entertainment?

alidor

Hi alidor,

just came back from a cruise on the odyssey. I found the entertainment whilst not brilliant at times, very good. It all depends upon what you are trying to compare it with.

We had four singers from England who were very good, a funny magician, a fine piano player who usually played at the Observation bar and a group in the Club.

The group in the club, at times struggled to keep it together, but when they were assisted by other singers, they were fine.

I enjoyed it when all entertainers got together over "pool party" night, definitely a highlight. The crew director and assistants also got involved and they showed some talent.

Come to think of it, we had a night where a crew member with local Croatian musicians got together, which was excellent. We also had a night opera at Kusadasi, which we loved for its atmosphere and setting. Something I will not forget.

In summary, out of 10, I would give it an 8. Considering that it is on a cruise ship and not Hollywood, I was very happy with the effort of the performers.

take care

Alfa

My least favourite part of the Seabourn entertainment roster is the music the bands play after dinner in the Club.

The evenings go like this. First, there is generally some very lively fun and games with the Entertainment Director (like 'Name That Tune'). This raises energy levels and gets people in the mood for a party and up dancing.

Instead, once the Entertainment Director leaves, the music switches to undanceable jazz stylings and people start departing in droves. I don't understand why the band can't 'read the mood' of the crowd and mix the jazz with a few other danceable genres - funk, pop, reggae, r&b, rock...even country or old-fashioned disco (but not rap!). When things quiet down, towards the wee hours perhaps, that would be the time to introduce the cool jazz, etc.

I have seen videos of Seabourn crew parties with the ship's band playing and their musical choices are much more varied in that setting - perhaps we guests could have some of the same?

Of course, music likes and dislikes are a matter of personal taste and there will be those who like the current after hours Club music - but considering that so many leave when it starts up, I don't think I am alone in wanting a change!

I have sometimes speculated that the deadly music is actually a ploy to empty the Club so the band can stop playing and go to bed, and reduce the pressure on the bar (surely not!)

Rant over

CuriousX..why not request the numbers you would like. Usually they are very game to comply.

I have and they do...the numbers I request usually get people up on the floor. As soon as they end, the band goes back to the other stuff and people go back to their tables...or leave. As I said, I do think the band could do a better job of reading the crowd and playing the music they respond to. Just my 2 cents.

My least favourite part of the Seabourn entertainment roster is the music the bands play after dinner in the Club.

The evenings go like this. First, there is generally some very lively fun and games with the Entertainment Director (like 'Name That Tune'). This raises energy levels and gets people in the mood for a party and up dancing.

Instead, once the Entertainment Director leaves, the music switches to undanceable jazz stylings and people start departing in droves. I don't understand why the band can't 'read the mood' of the crowd and mix the jazz with a few other danceable genres - funk, pop, reggae, r&b, rock...even country or old-fashioned disco (but not rap!). When things quiet down, towards the wee hours perhaps, that would be the time to introduce the cool jazz, etc.

I have seen videos of Seabourn crew parties with the ship's band playing and their musical choices are much more varied in that setting - perhaps we guests could have some of the same?

Of course, music likes and dislikes are a matter of personal taste and there will be those who like the current after hours Club music - but considering that so many leave when it starts up, I don't think I am alone in wanting a change!

I have sometimes speculated that the deadly music is actually a ploy to empty the Club so the band can stop playing and go to bed, and reduce the pressure on the bar (surely not!)

Rant over

On the Odyssey I thought it was pretty good in the Club, the house band alternated with a group called CC Max. CC Max were really good, taking requests and seemed to know what everyone liked, although it was pretty quiet in there, a lot quieter than I remember it being on the Sisters. House band were good, but the lead singer had the mike turned right down and was hard to hear, but still good though, well kept us there until about 0100 anyways. one half of CC Max actually came over to us 1 night apologising for it being so quiet!

I don't care for the LOUD music during cocktail hour before dinner . I prefer the great duo we used to enjoy on the smaller ships. Once the band was hired and played music to LOUD for visiting everyone stopped coming to the Club ~~I visited several times with the CD's ~~even Scotty. But the LOUD music never ceased.

I guess I'll find out as to Club music soon aboard the Spirit.

MB

I leave after the fun games in the Club because as a single, I don't have anyone with whom to dance with or many times, even to chat (and it's loud). Sometimes I sit and watch if the couples are good dancers, but I drift off to a movie, book, or the arms of morpheus.

I leave after the fun games in the Club because as a single, I don't have anyone with whom to dance with or many times, even to chat (and it's loud). Sometimes I sit and watch if the couples are good dancers, but I drift off to a movie, book, or the arms of morpheus.

Jane, would you dance if there was a partner and if you liked the music? I ask because I have seen Entertainment directors in the past make sure that people who want to find dancing partners are able to.

I do agree, btw, that the music is far too loud for conversation...as well as being unsuitable for dancing. Another reason for the exodus, methinks. (of course, movies, books and beds are also great diversions!)

>"Jane, would you dance if there was a partner and if you liked the music? I ask because I have seen Entertainment directors in the past make sure that people who want to find dancing partners are able to."

I should have been more explicit. I now have mobility issues that prevent me from really dancing. I hope my reply did not sound as if I feel sorry for myself, that's not the case.

It's more of not being able to sit and chat afterwards. because of the loud music. When we have the 'Rock the Boat' evening, I watch for hours, perhaps it's the ambiance and being outside that makes the difference.

"

I have already started a thread on dancing lessons and it seems that they are very limited on sailings. But for those who can't dance (either because of mobility or two left feet), what are the trivia contests like, if there are any. How long do they last and are there prizes?

I have already started a thread on dancing lessons and it seems that they are very limited on sailings. But for those who can't dance (either because of mobility or two left feet), what are the trivia contests like, if there are any. How long do they last and are there prizes?

On any Seabourn ship you will get trivia at 12.00 on a sea day.it lasts about one hour and the prizes are staggering.

>"We had trivia one night at 2300 in the Observation Bar..."

I would stay up for that. The only prize I haven't won is an umbrella, the prize I want the most. One time we got 'Cunarad' pens and every time I use mine it makes me smile.

Free cruise!!! :p The prizes are wonderful, but not quite up to the "free cruise" category! All I wanted this last cruise was a bookmark, cos I had forgotten to take one of my dozens with me! Yep...coming last gave us the bookmark! Jane, we have won the umbrellas, and the stuffed animals and the timber box.... plus too many things to remember! The only thing I wanted but never won was the Seabourn mouse pad......one of the other guests gave me his! :D

If you win the over all prize, you will actually get a free cruise.........

BROCHURE!

Marja

Wow, amazing, the same prize as our trivia night! There were some nice Seabourn sun visor/ golf visor thingys that the winning table won, needless to say it wasn't us, too many Vespa Martini's I think, good fun though:p

Archived