The "dress code" as posted outside the MDR by RCI

I checked the RC dress code online. It doesn't actually say no shorts in the dining room during dinner anymore. I know it used to say no shorts during dinner, but they were allowed during breakfast and lunch. I guess that means that shorts (for English-reading/speaking people anyway ;)) are acceptable for dinner hours. I can remember a couple years ago when no jeans during dinner were listed too. I guess times are changing.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000qqVstuwkCBtMAq-MRp-J5qM:12hbioan0?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

Something I find interesting. Shorts are not "recommended attire" for the Meet & Mingles. I guess the M&Ms are now considered more formal than the MDR. :eek:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000qqVstuwkCBtMAq-MRp-J5qM:12hbioan0?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Meet+%26+Mingle&faqId=219&faqSubjectId=343&faqType=faq

that's the whole point! They do not have a dress code other than what the op posted. The dress is something rci "suggests", not "requires". And it's not like the mdr is "like a nice restaurant". It's more like a banquet room. Mcdonald's? That's why they have johnny rockets. :d

exactly!

Shorts have been allowed for awhile now.

We had a tablemate on the Grandeur week of 04/13/09 that was turned away at dining room door becuase he was wearing shorts. Dont know if that was due to spring break week or what but the first time in 8 cruises I had actually witnessed someone actually being turned away for wearing shorts.

We were on the freedom 2 weeks ago and shorts were NOT allowed at dinner. In fact, my son (22) challenged me and wore them. I didn't say a word to him but the head waiter asked him to return to his room and put on pants. He was embarrassed and mom won that battle without opening my mouth!!

I learned something about "shorts" last week while visiting the vatican. The vatican seems to hold the opinion that "shorts" are something that does not cover the knee cap. Anything that goes past the knee cap is acceptable. Anything above the knee cap is not acceptable.

There was one man in our tour group that apparently forgot to read the instructions that, when visiting churches such at St. Peters and the Sistine Chapel, proper dress is required. He wore shorts that were above his knee caps. The soluction? The tour guide had him pull his shorts down to rapper/ganster style so that they covered his knee cap. While it looked tacky THAT was acceptable. Go figure.

Not on all cruises, the Med cruises are more strict.

This sign was on a Med cruise. Like you I was under the impression Med cruises were a little more strict on what to wear in the MDR for dinner but, I guess not so much anymore. Shorts were very rare but did make their way into the dining room for dinner on occasion. Personally, I didn't care to test the water depsite the sign.

This sign was on a Med cruise. Like you I was under the impression Med cruises were a little more strict on what to wear in the MDR for dinner but, I guess not so much anymore. Shorts were very rare but did make their way into the dining room for dinner on occasion. Personally, I didn't care to test the water depsite the sign.

Really??? on our Med cruise , as I have said before, Jeans and shorts were turned away, I guess its down to the individual MD then :confused:

The stated baseball cap prohibition surprises me. I saw a young man on Navigator last spring in suit and tie wearing a baseball cap! He was admitted to the MDR and wore the cap throughout the meal.

I know the hat taboo has been in effect for what--centuries? But when one thinks about it, what is so wrong with wearing a hat while you eat? Women do it. Some fashion "rules" make no sense other than they represent tradition.

The stated baseball cap prohibition surprises me. I saw a young man on Navigator last spring in suit and tie wearing a baseball cap! He was admitted to the MDR and wore the cap throughout the meal.

I know the hat taboo has been in effect for what--centuries? But when one thinks about it, what is so wrong with wearing a hat while you eat? Women do it. Some fashion "rules" make no sense other than they represent tradition.

I'm sure the 8 year old boy didn't know any better and everyone thought he was cute.

In the meanwhile, take your hat off and don't make it look like you want to eat and run.

Where do start with these people = simple etiquette. I know, it's YOUR vacation :confused:

Why even have one then?

I thought the MDR was special.

Like a nice restaurant, not like your local McDonald's.

HEY RCCL. if you let bathing suits in,

you can charge for towels there too.

MDR is a place. The true specialness is what you bring to it. Like the difference between a house and a home. I know some people don't know there is a difference. Only a few people would allow others to take that away if they are with family or friends. I dress nicely and feel wonderful at the local McDonalds. People always smile, sometimes with me, other times at me but I am kool with it:D A place is a place, can be beautiful but still a place. I can 't rememeber one dining room, much of what people were wearing but serveral dining experiences. I dine with family and friends so that's my only care and concern. These days a meal I enjoy is a blessing but if I am not starving no big deal!

What a sad social commentary - they actually have to have a sign advising people how to dress properly for dinner. There was a time when people knew better...behaved like ladies and gentlemen...alas...is it all gone now?

JMOP....Not to ask you to look outside the box but these are International cruises.

Cultures differ from yours but they have chosen to subject the rest of the world, on some lines, to what Americans consider proper or not. A tux for me is the dumbest thing a grown man could wear, but many here live and die by it. Many here would think a formal gathering without certain type of outfit is attended by people don't know how to behave or act. The sign and recommendation could be a pure acknowledgment that the world is not paying attention to the American way of life, or dress code. Do you know what is acceptable from all the different cultures represented on these ships that cater to American taste. Are they wrong is they think a cap is ok to cover their heads indoors?

Proud of where I was born and culture, grateful to live in the good old USA!

I copied the following text from the Alize restaurant in Las Vegas. I noticed it when I was making a reservation. I can still remember when this was the dress expectations for cruise dining.

About Our Dress Code

We request resort-evening casual. Jackets and ties are not required for gentlemen, however, jeans, jogging suites, shorts, tennis or sports-type shoes, T-shirts, tank-tops, and other inappropriately casual clothing are unacceptable. Similarly, ladies are expected to wear considerate apparel. We do not set standards, just guidelines. We ask that, by your attire, you show respect for your fellow diners.

Just returned from the AOS where we had late seating in the Vivaldi dining room on Deck 3. Never saw such an array of "bad" MDR clothing choices on a cruise before. :( And yes, many offenders were the Spanish speaking, but the majority were from the U.S. mainland and from other countries.

We saw jeans, shorts, caps, wife beaters, tank tops, along with dresses that were too short and an over abundance of cleavage (LOL) during dinner every evening. At a table next to us, a passengers idea of Formal was a faded black golf shirt and khaki's, while his wife was dressed appropriately. :rolleyes: I just don't get it! We were not the only passengers taking notice. Met a nice couple from Wales that were appalled, and also some new friends from the U.S. that had similar reactions.

In addition, we saw passengers coming to dinner up to 45 minutes late at each seating. What ever happened to the dining room doors being closed 15 minutes after the seating time? This rude behavior disrupted the waiters routine and also disrupted the diners that were on time.

On another note (and getting off subject), we were in the middle of having dinner with the Captain when on several occasions, his dinner was interrupted by passengers asking to have a photo made with him. It was quite clear that the Captain was not pleased to be interrupted. Nor were his table mates who were in deep conversation with him at the time. :mad:

Also, when our waiter was in the middle of serving my DH and I one evening, he was interrupted by a man wearing overalls and a wife beater. He had apparently forgotten to get his room card during the first seating, so decided to barge in to retrieve it. This guy was practically leaning over us exposing his hairy underarms! YUCK...just what I wanted to see while I was enjoying my $14.95 Chop's steak.

On the last evening, our very "good looking" assistant waiter was asked to leave the area by young females wanting to have their photos made with him by the lobby flowers. Then they would hug him, hang on to him and cry. This happened 3 times during our dinner. It really got to be quite comical.

I will not go into much detail about other bad manners that we saw, but have to mention the next table over from us that were Spanish speaking. Elbows on the table while hunched over their food, drinking from their turned-up soup bowls, picking their teeth with their fingers, and the best...spitting a wad of food out onto their plate. Double YUCK! These same passengers complained about the food, sent dishes back and berated their poor waiters. They asked for specially made dishes, ordered multiple entrees and still couldn't be pleased. I am pretty sure by the reaction of the waiters the last evening, that they were glad to see those passengers leaving the dining room. :D

Sorry for the rant, but I believe that a great onboard offering would be to have etiquette classes! ;)

Something I find interesting. Shorts are not "recommended attire" for the Meet & Mingles. I guess the M&Ms are now considered more formal than the MDR. :eek:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000qqVstuwkCBtMAq-MRp-J5qM:12hbioan0?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Meet+%26+Mingle&faqId=219&faqSubjectId=343&faqType=faq

Okay so I have never worn shorts, jeans, baseball caps, wife beater shirts or the like in the Main Dining Room. On the other hand I have worn shorts to Meet and Mingles. For crying out loud both of those that I have attended were in the late morning in a lounge on a sea day. Boy "The Clothes Police" are sure going to be angry with me. I hope that I didn't destroy the ambiance of anyone's cruise!

My husband has worn shorts to dinner in the MDR on the first night and the last night on caribbean cruises. Please note, they are dress shorts, and he worn them with Tommy Bahama shirts. He is dressed for the Caribbean. We live in Florida. This is what he would were out to dinner here. He has never been turned away.

But one year for breakfast he had on a muscle shirt (sleeveless tee). He was told he could not go into the dinning room. But as long as he covered his arms, he worn my sweater, it was OK. He looked so silly in my sweater, the waiter was laughing, but he was now dressed correctly.

Silly rules

Irene

Can I just add one little thought to this conversation. I love to dress up for my evening meal that is what cruising is all about because you feel special. I also do not like bad table manners so I am not excusing anything.

BUT please spare a thought for a few people who have not received their luggage. On our last cruise we flew in to Barbados and boarded our ship in the evening we met a party of 6 from the North of England who were seated at the next table to us and they had not received their luggage ok not unusual for the first evening. Unfortunately many days later they still had no luggage it became a standing joke and I have to say they were really remarkable about it - yes they bought the essentials to get by and kept getting told that there cases would be at the next port and they never let it ruin their holiday. I seem to remember that on the 15 day cruise they finally got their cases on day 11. I know this is not the norm but it does occasionally happen.

All I am trying to say is please be aware that sometimes people have no options in what they wear.

On the day they received their luggage that evening the Chief Engineer who we had at our table sent a bottle of bubbly over to them and the MD brought out a cake with baloons attached which was a really lovely thing for the staff to do. I must add this was not on an RCCL ship.

If you are right, it should be interesting. :D

Can you just see the Dining Rooms on Formal Nights now? :eek:

They will need Smelling Salts for the Fashion Police. :D

I thought this was funny; my computer screen did not as I had just taken a drink of hot coffee. :eek: :D:D

on our Majesty cruise this past August, there was a table of 20 somethings in back of ours and the gentlemen wore shorts. When the maitre'd came to our table to check on us, I questioned why they were permitted to dine in shorts.

He told me they were instructed to allow more casual attire on short cruises. When I told him all the correspondence on the website specifically said that NO shorts were permitted in the dining rooms, he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Oh well".

If you are right, it should be interesting. :D

Can you just see the Dining Rooms on Formal Nights now? :eek:

They will need Smelling Salts for the Fashion Police. :D

My favorite cc quote of all time...LOVE it.

BTW, also glad to see the loosening of the rules...either written or percieved. Way too much energy spent on what we wear on vacation.

For many years I have seen shorts, hats, T shirts, sneakers and every other combo enter the Dining Rooms on RCCL. That includes on the Formal Nights. :rolleyes:

I have never seen one person turned away at the door on RCCL. There have been tables of passengers next to us on many a cruise in shorts and T Shirts. So I know for a fact I have seen them on Formal nights. It did not ruin anyones meal. You could not help but notice them as they walked to their tables. That was it. ;)

I have seen people dressed like that turned away at the doors when I cruised on other Cruise lines, never on any of my 13 RCCL cruises.

I am not speaking of Europe. Never cruised there.

Archived