The "dress code" as posted outside the MDR by RCI

RCI is re-defining their place within the cruise line industry.

Yes they are. They are going after younger, new cruisers and specifically families. Why do you think all their new bigger ships have all the sports courts, skating rinks, boxing rinks, flow riders, climbing walls, etc., etc. Do you think that is for the benefit of the retiree crowd?

The younger generation loves to go casual, dressy jeans and fashinable tops and heels for younger women are considered casual attire for dinner in the MDR. RCI knows this and will not ban jeans. Younger men will wear dressy shorts and a nice shirt and consider it fine attire for Caribbean sailings on casual nights in the MDR. RCI knows this and will not ban dressy shorts on men.

To not keep up with the differing attire of the younger generation of cruisers would be economical suicide for RCI. That would be akin to banning polyester pantsuits and leisure suits in the '70's and '80's. They wouldn't have had many customers. They are not an upscale cruise line and really never have been. They are mainstream. If you want upscale go for it.

JMO,

Colleen

Yes they are. They are going after younger, new cruisers and specifically families. Why do you think all their new bigger ships have all the sports courts, skating rinks, boxing rinks, flow riders, climbing walls, etc., etc. Do you think that is for the benefit of the retiree crowd?

The younger generation loves to go casual, dressy jeans and fashinable tops and heels for younger women are considered casual attire for dinner in the MDR. RCI knows this and will not ban jeans. Younger men will wear dressy shorts and a nice shirt and consider it fine attire for Caribbean sailings on casual nights in the MDR. RCI knows this and will not ban dressy shorts on men.

To not keep up with the differing attire of the younger generation of cruisers would be economical suicide for RCI. That would be akin to banning polyester pantsuits and leisure suits in the '70's and '80's. They wouldn't have had many customers. They are not an upscale cruise line and really never have been. They are mainstream. If you want upscale go for it.

JMO,

Colleen

Colleen,

This is the absoulte most succint and clear post on this topic on CC. Perfectly worded and I think easy for anyone to understand, even those that may not want to hear it.

That's just a lame excuse. I don't get dressed up for the food, I get dressed up to spend the evening with my sweetie. We've spent the day in shorts and other casual clothes, come evening, time for something different.

We are the same, we like to dress up in the evening, we dont get many opportunities to do it at home.

And the days I am to lazy to dress up on a cruise or after a long excursion, we eat room service. I would not want to eat in the MDR in jeans or casual attire. I would prefer others to have made the same effort but I would not judge them or make any comment to anyone, its just how I think of things. At home in a nice restaurant most people dress nicely, it makes it feel special not like a cafeteria.

Class and good manners have never been defined by what a person is wearing.

For some reason this comment reminds me of a day a couple of years ago when we were on Worth Ave. in Palm Beach, FL. An extremely nice looking Royals Royce pulled up along the street and a gentleman wearing a very nice cream colored blazer and dress shirt got out wearing bermuda shorts, black socks and sandles. No doubt this man had plenty of money to burn but whomever dressed him that morning must have been blind IMHO. I can't help but wonder if RCI would have turned him away from the MDR.

Really, my original post wasn't about what showed class, respect or anything else. It was just that RCI really doesn't care what you wear into the dining room so long as you're not in bare feet, a bathing suit, tank top or have a cap on. Otherwise it doesn't matter what the fashion police on Cruise Critic might say, RCI doesn't care. If dressing up is important to you then by all means dress up. I know we do. If others not dressing up bothers you to the point you feel the need to point them out as being rude, disrespectful or low class, maybe another cruise line would fit your needs better. After all, no one is breaking any rules by wearing jeans to dinner and they're certainly not breaking any dress code. They're just enjoying their cruise just like all the rest of us should be doing.

JMO,

Colleen

You're definitely right on with your post. The types of people cruising has been slowly changing & the older generation can't see (or don't want to see) it happen before their eyes. All cruise lines do the same & those that don't will not exist in the future.

You're definitely right on with your post. The types of people cruising has been slowly changing & the older generation can't see (or don't want to see) it happen before their eyes. All cruise lines do the same & those that don't will not exist in the future.

We'll wait about 20-30 years from now to see if these young punk attitudes change to old fart status. We'll see if they want to change things to the newest, latest fad or if they will want to keep thier traditional designer jeans, etc.

We'll wait about 20-30 years from now to see if these young punk attitudes change to old fart status. We'll see if they want to change things to the newest, latest fad or if they will want to keep thier traditional designer jeans, etc.

Lol - I'm sure I'll be on my lawn, in my designer jeans and heels, shaking my fist at the young kids telling 'em to get off my lawn! Everyone's time comes! My bf is only 29, and when we were last on vacay we saw a gaggle of 13 year old girls with their mom, and the girls were wearing yoga pants with 'JUICY' written on the back across the bum. It's a popular clothing brand - but my bf, who is pretty young, went on and on about how he would never let HIS daughter wear that and how come girls nowadays dress that way and blah blah! I thought it was pretty funny!:D

Been reading the various responses here and have to agree that - unfortunately - crusing "style" has certainly changed and, for me, not for the better. Even the new ships are no longer "cruse ships" but have become floating all-inclusive resorts. A Caribbean cruise was once a really delightful experience but - over the past few years - has devolved into just another trip to the mall. You bet I miss the good old days...and I'm not going out quietly. I am, however, going out...or at last up to more "upscale" lines in hopes of retaining some of the old glory days of crusing.

it specifically said in each day planner we got no shorts were allowed at dinner. this did not stop people from wearing them though. i think it is a question of class and respect. just saying "ill wear what i want" is what teenagers do.:eek:

it specifically said in each day planner we got no shorts were allowed at dinner. this did not stop people from wearing them though. i think it is a question of class and respect. just saying "ill wear what i want" is what teenagers do.:eek:

It's not only the younger crowd who choose to ignore any dress suggestions. Us older generation haven't got the time to wait for any change to come about. ;)

Colleen,

This is the absoulte most succint and clear post on this topic on CC. Perfectly worded and I think easy for anyone to understand, even those that may not want to hear it.

Thanks luckyprincess!

I have read some of the recent comments. Just to clarify, when I talk about the younger generation of cruisers I am not talking about teenagers and "young punks" as one poster put it.

I am talking about a younger generation of ADULTS, who are booking and paying for their own cruises. These are people from their 20's - 40's who are the future of cruising, especially on the newer, larger, expensive to book ships.

RCI, being a mainstream line, will go after these customers with a vengeance. Do you think they are going to let Carnival (which includes Princess) and NCL get the bulk of this demographic? No Way.

RCI wants their customers who like the more traditional cruising atmosphere to head over to Celebrity and Azamara. They have cutback on the Loyalty Program at RCI while adding to it on Celebrity.

I am Fiftysomething and like to sail the mainstream lines because we usually bring our kids and many times sail with several families. The mainstream lines fit that bill.

If I decide that I want a quiet, laid back traditional cruise then I will book a line that is more traditional, with fewer (or no) children on board.

People who think that Royal Caribbean will turn the clock back at some point to a more traditonal cruise atmosphere should take another look. It isn't going to happen. They already have that type of cruising on Celebrity and Azamara.

JMO,

Colleen

Lol - I'm sure I'll be on my lawn, in my designer jeans and heels, shaking my fist at the young kids telling 'em to get off my lawn! Everyone's time comes! My bf is only 29, and when we were last on vacay we saw a gaggle of 13 year old girls with their mom, and the girls were wearing yoga pants with 'JUICY' written on the back across the bum. It's a popular clothing brand - but my bf, who is pretty young, went on and on about how he would never let HIS daughter wear that and how come girls nowadays dress that way and blah blah! I thought it was pretty funny!:D

I can picture it now, the "Old Biddy" in her jeans, LOL!!!!

Oh...and I have 3 daughters so I know all about Juicy!

Colleen

Agreed, Happy. Change happens. People that live in the past will invariably be unhappy or disappointed in change. But there is still traditional cruising available, some lines still offer this and maybe some people need to seriously open their eyes to other options. I would think it would be preferable to being all upset about what OTHER people wear in the MDR.

JMO,

Colleen

I think it's pretty clear from all theses 'dress' threads that cruising is changing and RCCL is beginning to reinvent itself.

Hence all the confusion for many hot topics.

I do feel LadyLouwho has hit the nail on the head with her above post. It has been clear, looking from outside the fishbowl that RCCL is trying to keep the old standards going to a point and wants those cruisers to wander towards Celebrity.

Also-no matter what you do-sometimes-you cann't win around here. I get it-formal night. I don't want to do it. I respect those and do not go. I eat somewhere else. Y'all should be happy. But no-because I choose to tip the folks that served me that night that I did not dine in the MDR to be respectful-I'm still in trouble!!:p

Been reading the various responses here and have to agree that - unfortunately - crusing "style" has certainly changed and, for me, not for the better. Even the new ships are no longer "cruse ships" but have become floating all-inclusive resorts. A Caribbean cruise was once a really delightful experience but - over the past few years - has devolved into just another trip to the mall. You bet I miss the good old days...and I'm not going out quietly. I am, however, going out...or at last up to more "upscale" lines in hopes of retaining some of the old glory days of crusing.

Thats the great thing about having choices. I love cruising and love RCL, could care less what others wear to the MDR or anywhere else for that matter. As long as they are not offensive.

I'm by no means a fashion snob; indeed, lately my idea of "dressing up" has been wearing solid-color shorts instead of my usual camo or plaid patterns. However, when it is expected of me I LOVE to dress nicely and enjoy seeing others do the same; it gives the location, whether restaurant or club, a much classier feel. So yes, I'm a little disappointed to read that RCI is relaxing their MDR dress code, especially since I rarely dine out in restaurants that even HAVE a dress code.

Oh well. My first cruise is coming up in 24 days, and you can be darn sure I'm going to dress as well as my budget will allow :D

I might try a more traditional line to Alaska next year.

On our recent Serenade of the Seas cruise we had a couple arrive on one of the formal nights - she in a VERY micro mini skirt; he was in a shirt and jeans.....he actually looked like he came from a tractor pull.......even the jeans were dirty.

On the final formal night they both came to the dining room in jeans that were frayed at the bottom - they looked like they were going to the mall.

We believe that tuxedos and even suits are not always required on formal nights - that's just us. HOWEVER, before someone throws criticism at us, we DO believe that decorum should be observed........a dress pair of slacks and a dress shirt is the least men should wear; at least a clean pair of slacks would be appropriate......the same for women. And, CLEAN is the key here.

This couple was not dressed appropriate even for The Windjammer, and that is about as informal as you can get.

Archived