No more "free" Iced Tea or Chocolates???

jerseygirl79

All I can say is WOW!!!!:eek:

I just got off of the Splendor this past Sunday. The Ice Tea was still free and the chocolates were still on the pillow. I did, however, see several cost cutting measures on my ship.

If these things you mentioned, coupled with what I saw (no free drinks at the captains party, higher cocktail prices, etc.) are going to be part of Carnival (or any other cruiseline's) offering, they are going to nickel and dime the shine off of their apple.

At the point that the vacation that is offered on these ships become just bare bones offering and everything else is with an additional cost, one has to weigh land vacation (all inclusive) vs. a cruise ship.

Right now, I can probably do a 5 (maybe more) nighter at an all inclusive on Jamaica, Cancun, St. Thomas, DR for what I am spending on a cruise.

With airfare and cab fare, my 7 night cruise in the late spring is running right at $2500 all costs included with an inside cabin. What can I get for $2500 at a land resort. Hmmmmm

I don't care about chocolates, drinks/food at any past guest or captain's party, higher alcoholic drink prices since we only have a few drinks anyway.

But if they get rid of the free iced tea I will be PO'd. That's what I drink! I really, really hope that is not true.

jerseygirl- can you post the link for that review?

I just read a review from someone just back from Inspiration. Apparently on this sailing they are now charging for Iced Tea and there are no more chocolates left during turn down.

Any one else recently back from any ship experienced this?

Still had both (free) on our Fascination cruise last week!

:cool:Bill

I just read a review from someone just back from Inspiration. Apparently on this sailing they are now charging for Iced Tea and there are no more chocolates left during turn down.

On the Victory there was chocolates on our pillow and free Ice tea, lemonade.

The fruit punch was gone, but I think this varies from ship to ship based on supply

It's never been the cost of the land vacation that has troubled me, it is the getting there. I can of course jump in the jeep and head up to the mountains of N GA, but there is no ocean. I can drive for two days and get down to Sanibel, and there is an ocean, but then I have to pay for food, and gas, and hotel. I don't drink, so I am not so sure that I can be nickeled and dimed, but if they take away juice, and tea, then yes I can be dimed to death, and will have to rethink cruising. I can get juice on a soda card. But perhaps the days of all inclusive on a ship are a thing of the past. Too many people take advantage of free. And those who do, don't know it, 'cause I used to be one.:o

I don't care about chocolates, drinks/food at any past guest or captain's party, higher alcoholic drink prices since we only have a few drinks anyway.

But if they get rid of the free iced tea I will be PO'd. That's what I drink! I really, really hope that is not true.

jerseygirl- can you post the link for that review?

Here ya go. I hope it's not true and maybe it was just this sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1076896

Here's a link to the review. If you read past the review he said there was a card on the dining room table listing speciality drinks and ice tea for 1.95. I'm pretty sure not for a long island ice tea.

I'm new to cruising and just the changes made in the short 3 years I've been crusing is amazing. I wish I would have started sooner, cuz at this rate, my crusing days may be over soon.

What can I get for $2500 at a land resort. Hmmmmm

Cruising is becoming a past for us. Airfare alone to cruise is rediculous to say the least.

In September we went to Aruba Sunday thru Saturday for 1890. total for two of us.

Airfare for March 7th is costing us 400pp to go to Florida-- cheaper to do a land vacation for us.

I wonder if the ice tea that was for sale in the dining room was the fresh brewed stuff- cant imagine 1.something for the syrup stuff at the lido deck

But I need my ice tea. As a diabetic, its either ice tea or water for me. I try to stay clear of everything else because of the carbs. Please say it isn't so.:(

Yeah...that would be a bummer. I try to avoid the sugary juices and sodas as well. I was even going to bring my water mix-ins with me for some more variety.

I never said it was free at the bar. I merely stated that Nestea is available at the bar. :rolleyes:
Sorry 4 the confusion.

What I meant was:

You have to pay for tea @ the bars. Not on the lido (I hope)

Just as you have to pay for oj in your room, but can get it from room service for "free" (don't forget to tip the guy that brought it) =)

It's really all about conveinence.

Here's a link to the review. If you read past the review he said there was a card on the dining room table listing speciality drinks and ice tea for 1.95. I'm pretty sure not for a long island ice tea.

Yes, that's the price of the pre-packaged Nestea that you can pay for from the bars on board the ship.

It is NOT the same tea that is available for free on the Lido, or at least hasn't been on any cruise I've been on.

Perhaps the issue is that they're serving Nestea in the dining room (for the same price as a soda) as opposed to the free Lido tea that was previous served.

Cruising is becoming a past for us. Airfare alone to cruise is rediculous to say the least.

In September we went to Aruba Sunday thru Saturday for 1890. total for two of us.

Airfare for March 7th is costing us 400pp to go to Florida-- cheaper to do a land vacation for us.

Wow...that's sounds great!!! Was it all inclusive?

Airfare for March 7th is costing us 400pp to go to Florida

Is that right? Wow, as far as I knew you could get cheap flights from Philadelphia to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami (if that's where you were heading). Southwest for one usually has them available for under $100.

I'm in upstate New York and we can still get Southwest flights to Florida for about $100 each way, as long as you book fairly early. I thought Philadelphia was even cheaper.

OP: Take reviews with a grain of salt and don't believe everything that gets posted here. Two weeks ago, all the iced tea you could drink and mints on the pillow every night on the Holiday.

Archived