tipping question (onboard at the moment)

Punchie

We are currently on the Emerald, disembarking on Sunday. I have a question about how to handle "service above and beyond" for two head waiters. We have anytime dining.

The first HW essentially designated a table for us for the duration of the cruise. He told me it was "our" table since after the first night we kept requesting it (the best waiter we have ever had on Princess). After several nights, it became "our" table. I didn't think you could have a reserved table night after night on anytime dining. The HW definitely did not have to do this for us, and I would like to tip him b/c of this. It made dining for everyone (as we have a 3 yr old with us) much easier. What would be an appropriate tip?

The second HW has spent a lot of time at each meal of the day chatting with us and paying attention to my DD. She adores him, and I know that entertaining a 3 yr old is not in his job description. I would like to do something for him as well to show my appreciation for the special attention he has shown my DD. Is it appropriate to tip him, and if so, how much?

I just want to add that the waitstaff on the Emerald has been phenomenal. Multiple waiters have gone out of their way to be accommodating, especially to my child (which they did not have to do in any way shape or form). Some of them have been downright indulgent.

Thank you for your help!

Me, I always have trouble figuring out the amount for extra tips to people other than my waiter/steward, so take what follows with a grain of salt: I'd say no more than $15-$20 for HW1 -- reserving a table isn't that much extra effort (some might even say it's part of his job and no big deal). For HW2, who's been entertaining your daughter, I'd go higher, as that sounds like he really is going above and beyond.

But what I really posted to suggest is that you consider filling out "Made a Difference" cards for both of them (you can pick these up at the Purser's Desk -- they usually have them sitting out on the end of the counter). That really plays in to getting the staff promotions, extra time off, etc. Not that money isn't nice, too, but filling out the card doesn't cost you anything but a few minutes and really has a positive impact for them.

Glad you're having fun; don't forget to write us a review when you're back!

In the past we have given $20 to a HW who provided service that was excellent. I agree that filling out a Make A Difference" card is certainly a great idea. Staff have told me that these cards truely are read very seriously by the cruise line management.

There are review cards at the Purser's desk. Fill them out with complete names and turn them in.

Give cash to those you wish to thank. Don't wait till the last night since things can get really busy or they may have to be elsewhere (not usually, but it does happen). Just shake hands and hand it to them. An envelope is nice but required. The amount is up to you. They are on board ship to make money for themselves and their family. It is the best "thank you".

When we've done the "make a difference" card, we've handed it to the person we wrote it about (sometimes with a tip, sometimes not), and after they have had time to read it, asked them if we should turn it in for them or not. They have all said that they would take care of it, and seemed genuinely appreciative. We let them see it before offering to turn it in ourselves because we don't know if they get a chance to read them in a timely manner, and want them to know that we appreciate their extra effort enough to put in that little extra effort for them.

One night at dinner another table was giving our waiter a hard time, actually being quite rude, and she didn't deserve it at all. We brought enough forms for our entire table the next night; everyone filled one in, and when the other table started in again, we just handed them all to her. Those "make a difference" cards make a difference all right...both directions:)

You are sooo right. I always fill out the cards & hand them to the crewmember so they can read my good report. Your kind words are as good as gold because they mean Promotion.

I agree, also, with doing it before the last night. It is so easy to do. I tip extra on the last night.

I use my foreign currency because, after all, the crew will be back in that port again. Cash is King and nothing is declined.

;);):D;);)

We are currently on the Emerald, disembarking on Sunday. I have a question about how to handle "service above and beyond" for two head waiters. We have anytime dining.

The first HW essentially designated a table for us for the duration of the cruise. He told me it was "our" table since after the first night we kept requesting it (the best waiter we have ever had on Princess). After several nights, it became "our" table. I didn't think you could have a reserved table night after night on anytime dining. The HW definitely did not have to do this for us, and I would like to tip him b/c of this. It made dining for everyone (as we have a 3 yr old with us) much easier. What would be an appropriate tip?

The second HW has spent a lot of time at each meal of the day chatting with us and paying attention to my DD. She adores him, and I know that entertaining a 3 yr old is not in his job description. I would like to do something for him as well to show my appreciation for the special attention he has shown my DD. Is it appropriate to tip him, and if so, how much?

I just want to add that the waitstaff on the Emerald has been phenomenal. Multiple waiters have gone out of their way to be accommodating, especially to my child (which they did not have to do in any way shape or form). Some of them have been downright indulgent.

Thank you for your help!

If a headwaiter gives us a table for the entire cruise and checks in on us every evening I give them a $50 bill.

Thank you for your help!

This is simple! Show them the money!!!:D Just discreetly hand them an extra tip. Also fill out the customer comment card praising them by name to the skies!

You can get envelopes at the passenger services desk. For service above and beyond, I put a $20 bill in the envelopes of those I wish to reward and hand them to the individual(s) on the last night. That includes room steward. I adjust up and down depending on the length of the cruise. :p

Thank you for your responses! It's hard to determine what an appropriate tip is. We've always tipped above and beyond the $10.50 that's tacked on, but the service this time around was just so fabulous that we couldn't figure out how much is enough. :)

We will definitely fill out the make a difference cards!

Thank you for your responses! It's hard to determine what an appropriate tip is. We've always tipped above and beyond the $10.50 that's tacked on, but the service this time around was just so fabulous that we couldn't figure out how much is enough. :)

We will definitely fill out the make a difference cards!

When you are paying thousands of dollars each for a cruise and hundreds more for excursions, $50 extra will not make a difference to your life but it really means something to the person receiving it. First it says thank you, you're special far more than the common $20 or less. Secondly, these employees can really use the money.

Give out a couple of $50's. You'll feel good as will the recipient.

Archived