3 year old on aft balcony

mighty george

You don't say which ship you are talking about but by your prior posts I am assuming it is the Navigator. I have sailed on a deck 10 corner aft on the Mariner twice, the sister ship of the Navigator. The railings are angled, making it difficult to climb. I wouldn't say it is impossible to climb but your child would be at a decent angle.

Just set ground rules. The child will never be out there on their own anyways, they will always be supervised. Tell them they aren't allowed to climb, if they do, they have to stay inside. This site will give you an idea of what the railings look like.

http://www.voyager-class.com/virtualtour/aftbalconies/aftbalconies.html

It won't be a problem. A little common sense goes a long way. ;) No 3 year old outside without an adult. No standing on chairs. No horseplay on the balcony. And if any rules are broken, the child goes back inside. :)

We scored a Deck 10 AFt on Independence of the Seas. It was the BEST CABIN EVER! And my youngest was 4 at the time. She is hyper and VERY active. We had no problems.

She couldn't open the door if she wanted to.

AND frankly, if the kids climbed the railing and DID fall, they would fall onto the balcony below.

080.jpg

081.jpg

089.jpg

We sail with our two year old and have had balconies with climbable railings in the past. I think that if it your balcony is like the one in the pictures, it would be a good idea to bring some blue painter tape, make a line a couple feet from the rail and tell the child to not cross it. This would work for us. If nothing else, it buys the one second needed to pull him away from the balcony. In my case, if he started climbing on it, it would be a constant battle to tell him he couldn't do it again.

It won't be a problem. A little common sense goes a long way. ;) No 3 year old outside without an adult. No standing on chairs. No horseplay on the balcony. And if any rules are broken, the child goes back inside. :)

We scored a Deck 10 AFt on Independence of the Seas. It was the BEST CABIN EVER! And my youngest was 4 at the time. She is hyper and VERY active. We had no problems.

She couldn't open the door if she wanted to.

AND frankly, if the kids climbed the railing and DID fall, they would fall onto the balcony below.

080.jpg

Exactly, with emphasis on the "if the kid breaks the rules they go back inside" and I would like to add " if the kid breaks the rules they go back inside for a time out while everyone else gets to remain outside "

They tend to learn quick, just be sure to follow through! This is definitely one of those times where you cant afford to be a wishy, washy parent!

Thanks for all the replies. It was/is just a nagging worry at the back of my mind. As you all know it can only be a split second and he is at the age where he likes to push limits! Cruisin Mama as always you come up trumps!!!!!!! Had not thought about the balcony below!! The thought of having to dive overboard after him wasn't very appealing:D Jam82 the blue tape is a great idea and is in the case. CB no he won't be outside by himself but it doesn't stop me worrying!!!!!!! SAS will try not to be wishy washy with him (in fairness we aren't) Reallyitsmema, yes it is Navigator and thanks for the link. Initially we had a deck 6 aft but just caught a price break for over 100 pounds and upgrade from E2 to D1!!!!

Archived