Alaska First Trip Best Weather When?

where2next4me

Hi all

For our 30th Wedding anniversary we are looking to cruise Alaska next year.

When is the best time to travel? We are from the UK so we are used to cold but would like to avoid any severe weather.:rolleyes:

www.cruise2010.net

Think of Scotland weather. It could rain, it could be sunny, and it could do that in the same day. Highs would be from 10-30C lows from 5-20C; really hard to predict. It does start raining a little more in August, so June/July are a little better. Depends on what you want to see. If you want to see snow, go early

It also depends, where you want to go?? If you are adding interior, northbound cruises will offer better weather going north end of May, and begining of Sept. I no longer go outside this timeframe.

WE were in Alaska BTB in July .The first week was GLORIOUS warm and Lovely The second was a little more wet but OK.BTB was great because we went everywhere twice and got to see a lot more I highly recommend it

If you do not have a waterproof warm jacket they sell them EVERYWHERE for about 20$ .I bought 2 plus thick sweatshirts as gifts for my family...I do not KNOW how to travel light .At the cruise terminal they will give you coupon books for purchases TAKE THEM >>>lots of FREEBIES in Alaska Ketchican has loads of shops

I loved Sitka and the trails in Totem Park .also trail in Ketchican

I loved Alaska and the YUKON Do not miss it It is GRANDIOSE

Vancouver is a GREAT place to start

Bon Voyage

Michele

Hi all

For our 30th Wedding anniversary we are looking to cruise Alaska next year.

When is the best time to travel? We are from the UK so we are used to cold but would like to avoid any severe weather.:rolleyes:

www.cruise2010.net

We went from the UK and cruised on Coral Princess 16 Aug - 31 Aug 2003

We had a week land trip before the cruise in Alaska which was great.

some photos at http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/91552722spoTcH

.But with Alaska the weather can change so quick so just go and enjoy it.

We went the end of May in 2007 and had beautiful weather. In 2009 we did a B2B in early July and had beautiful weather. We feel very fortunate.:)

It is just like home though the weather changes from week to week. I think as everyone says from May to September is your prime months and I would pick what is convenient for you and be prepared for anything.

On our first trip to Alaska we went the 2nd week in June and the weather was spectacular. Our second trip, land and cruise, was Sept 3 to 13 and it rained 11 of the 13 days. It was also quite cool but not cold. You can never be sure what weather Alaska will throw at you !

Did the Radiance this year starting 11 september for 14 Nights, with partly pacific coast cruise. Alaska ports of call were: Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point. We cruised to Hubbard Glacier. In Sitka, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan we had amazing weather. I'm not gonna say t-shirt weather, but the sun was shining. Ketchikan has 330 rain days a year, so we were lucky.

We had rain cruising Hubbard Glacier, but it cleared up in the afternoon. In Icy Strait Point it rained all day. SF, Victoria and San Diego were warm and wonderful.

I guess it's really hard to say what the best time is for cruising Alaska. I mean, the weather is unpredictable and it can start raining any time. And even if it rains, you're still gonna love your cruise, cause it's truly beautiful. Bring layers and a rainjacket and you should be fine, whatever time of year you're gonna cruise Alaska

Cindy

Hi there,

I understand that you are coming from the UK and want to see ice and snow, but just understand that no matter when you go during the summer, if you go to where there are glaciers...you see plenty of white stuff!

We sailed on the Radiance on 8/7/09 and traveled from Anchorage to Denali and down to Seward for a week prior. We saw snow and ice from the airplane flying from Salt Lake City to ANC, and then up close and personal while flightseeing Mt. McKinley/Denali, at Exit Glacier near Seward, at Hubbard Glacier and of course in Juneau on the Mendenhall Glacier.

I would suggest sailing in July/August if you want warmest possible weather.

Happy planning!

Lynne

WE are traveling to Alaska w/ NCL May 8. How is the weather this time a year and are they any big bug problems?

NO bugs. Where are you going??? Inside Passage can still be cool. A wide range of attire is recommended, no matter when you go.

Archived