Live from the Emerald Princess......Ask Away

christinelee

Ship’s Blog

(The great adventures of: T & C)

The cruise adventure began like most others. We thought we had this packing thing down to a science….. less is finally more...then comes the day to leave and all of the forgotten things find their way to already bulging suitcases begging to go along…….Staying the night before the cruise in Chicago at a Park’N’Fly we both slept like babies…… The flight to Miami International was smooth, quiet and uneventful, just like you like them to be.

Once gathering our luggage in Miami we were greeted by the friendly, gaggle of Princess greeters , there were six, and it was a short walk to the bus stop and a very short wait and we were loaded and on our way to Ft. Lauderdale. On the bus we met and made friends with a young couple, Steve and Jasmine, also from the Chicago area. What a hoot! (More about them later) Once going through the hoops and whistles in the embarkation terminal,….health paper, through more security, show boarding passes, show credit card for room key and charges while on ship, have your picture taken for the first of 203 times by a Princess photographer, walk the plank and have your card registered with your photo for security and finally to your room…..a process that takes at least six minutes if you arrive after 2pm on sail away day.

I'll be interested to hear about the tendering process at Princess Cays. I've read some reviews that say it takes a while, but I don't know if this is an early rush of people trying to get off the ship ASAP, or if you have to wait a long time no matter what time you're trying to get off.

Thanks for starting this thread! I hope you have a wonderful time! :D

Please keep the updates coming. We sail the Emerald on 11/15/09. Curious as to weather. Are you going to the Sanctuary? Do you have the coffee card (not sure how it works???) Did you make any reservations for any of the restaurants? Thanks again for putting the time into doing a "Live". Enjoy your cruise....Joanne

Thanks Christinelee for taking time during your vacation to post! We will be sailing on her Dec 20. I will be interrested in reading your review, I would like to finding the cost of the ultimate card and the coffee card and are both punch cards? Also, in trying to pack light with the new baggage restirctions what is the cost to use the washers/dryers, is there detergent, fabric softner etc onboard? Thanks again, enjoy your trip!!

I'll be interested to hear about the tendering process at Princess Cays. I've read some reviews that say it takes a while, but I don't know if this is an early rush of people trying to get off the ship ASAP, or if you have to wait a long time no matter what time you're trying to get off. Except for elite and suite passengers, when your group is together and ready to go, you go to an announced place (Princess Theater, a restaurant) and get a numbered ticket. When space is available, a group of numbers will be called. Once the initial rush is over, an announcement will be made and all who wish to tender after that can gho directly to the tender loading area. So yes, there is an early rush which is over sooner or later. To go back to the ship, you simply wait in whatever line exists when you want to tender back.

Was wondering the cost of the Sanctuary...insight would be great. Can it be a daily purchase? $10 per half day or $15/day when purchased for the entire cruise. To get an individual day or 1/2 day, must line up early to avoid the area being sold out some days.

Is the swim against the current pool something you have to pay to use? No cost. Also no children.

Not currently on the Emerald, but above are some of the answers to your questions.

@ChristineLee:

Thanks for taking the time to share your voyage here at CC. My sister and I are on the next sailing - now just five days away :D I've been packed for a week and have hair and nail appointments today and tomorrow.

Chatted with Sis last night to make sure that she doesn't forget anything when she comes to my house next Saturday evening because I live an hour closer to the airport (DTW). As long as our flight is reasonably on time like it was this past Sunday, we should be embarking the Emerald between 1-1:30PM.

This will be my third time on the ship but only Sis's second cruise ever. We did a 4-night cruise about 10 years ago on a rather small RCI ship. I think she will be somewhat overwhelmed by the Emerald :eek:

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Straight to our cabin Baja 507 (inside) our favorite ….close to all elevators…...center of the ship,,,,,,,, we then went straight to the Horizon Court (deck 15) ,,,,,the longest we will go without food this cruise has just ended…...back to the cabin and our luggage has arrived…...wonder what took them so long?.....we have been on ship for almost an hour (it is 2:42 pm) We have an unofficial meet and greet right after Muster at Outriggers in the back of the ship……..All clothes unpacked for the week and empty bags stored under the bed…..it is time to grab the beautiful orange life vest and proceed to Muster station D...Explorer’s Lounge…….Sure hope that is the most stairs I have to traverse on this cruise (I didn’t come here to workout) A little note about Muster….there is a whistle in the pocket of the life vest…..please refrain from blowing this or letting your children do the same,,,,, do you know who had it in their mouth last week?

Once again back to the cabin to pick up our buttons and cards for all of our members ( we made buttons for all of our cruise critic members and gave them each a little welcome card with a small personal touch ……..what great people they all turned out to be,,,,,, never had a doubt!

Tonight is the Seafood Extravaganza up in the Horizon Court, so we tried to run them out of fresh shrimp and crab legs …..I didn’t know they could stack them that high.

David Moore is on the piano at Crooners…. Robert Deans is playing beautiful music adagio bar and Vladmir & Elena are street entertainers in the Piazza. Pink-N-Black are performing in The Wheelhouse Bar …..with DA BEARS playing the Falcons on the Giant Movie Under The Stars Screen outdoors…..which was our choice with two great people seated next to us under the beautiful Atlantic sky…...Steve and Jasmine, from the bus rude over from Miami ….. What another Hoot!

Straight to our cabin Baja 507 (inside) our favorite ….close to all elevators…...center of the ship,,,,,,,, we then went straight to the Horizon Court (deck 15) ,,,,,the longest we will go without food this cruise has just ended…...back to the cabin and our luggage has arrived…...wonder what took them so long?.....we have been on ship for almost an hour (it is 2:42 pm) We have an unofficial meet and greet right after Muster at Outriggers in the back of the ship……..All clothes unpacked for the week and empty bags stored under the bed…..it is time to grab the beautiful orange life vest and proceed to Muster station D...Explorer’s Lounge…….Sure hope that is the most stairs I have to traverse on this cruise (I didn’t come here to workout) A little note about Muster….there is a whistle in the pocket of the life vest…..please refrain from blowing this or letting your children do the same,,,,, do you know who had it in their mouth last week?

Once again back to the cabin to pick up our buttons and cards for all of our members ( we made buttons for all of our cruise critic members and gave them each a little welcome card with a small personal touch ……..what great people they all turned out to be,,,,,, never had a doubt!

Tonight is the Seafood Extravaganza up in the Horizon Court, so we tried to run them out of fresh shrimp and crab legs …..I didn’t know they could stack them that high.

David Moore is on the piano at Crooners…. Robert Deans is playing beautiful music adagio bar and Vladmir & Elena are street entertainers in the Piazza. Pink-N-Black are performing in The Wheelhouse Bar …..with DA BEARS playing the Falcons on the Giant Movie Under The Stars Screen outdoors…..which was our choice with two great people seated next to us under the beautiful Atlantic sky…...Steve and Jasmine, from the bus rude over from Miami ….. What another Hoot!

We will be sailing on the Emerald again this January and are wondering about the reported changes in the International Cafe and Vines.

In particular are they still serving a cheese board at Vines, and if so is it now free as previously reported?

Also, have they done away with the pay for options at the International Cafe and if so have they replaced them with any additional free options.

Thank you so much for your help and enjoy your cruise.

It’s Monday and we are in Princess Cays….we are doing the Bungalow ($199) with Lisa & Scott from Ohio and Laura (Knoxville) and her cousin Christy from Plainfield, Indiana…..The Bungalows are great if you have three couples to divide the cost

with you…...They offer a upgrade package, but it is way out of line ($295 for first two and $48 each for the other two couples)…...what are they thinking?

You share a waiter with a couple of other bungalows and the service is great…..air conditioned with electric and ceiling fan, an outside shower to rinse off and free shuttle to and from the pier…..private chairs and the beach and water right outside your door. We headed back to the ship at three, showered, dressed and headed up to Skywalkers lounge for drinks and appetizers…..a nice perk for traveling with Princess so much. We saw part of comedian Kevin Hughes show and all of hypnotist Tim Triplett’s who provided the evenings entertainment (both worth the time)…….up for the midnight snack and then off to La La land for us old folks.

Today, Tuesday, is a sea day and is also the first formal night ….and also they have moved up the Champagne Waterfall to tonight at 7:30…..What? And it is also the captains welcome onboard…….is Princess cutting yet another corner?....also just got our invite to the captain circle party with the captain for Thursday (second formal night) …...so yes they are cutting corners !

ADD yes there are separate stations for the omlets and waffles, but they are still inside with all of the other food.......try going to the dining room.....much more enjoyable,,,,yes the cheese is free and so is the internal cafe except for a few items.,,,,,Captain Giorgio Pomata.....cruise director Tim Donovan....passenger services Martin Ford

First off - thank you for taking the time to post while on your vacation! It's a very nice thing to do and I appreciate it very much.

We will be sailing on November 1st and have reserved a bungalow as well. Do you get priorty tendering in when you have a bungalow? Just curious, how much is the internet package - I will have my netbook with me and would like to post a "Live From" the week we are on board as well but am not sure how many minutes to order and am wondering if the coupon book as anything in it for internet access.

Thanks again!

I'm also interested in more information about the Bungalows. Did you get priority tender tickets? Did you get to pick your bungalow in advance? Which one did you have and did you like the location? Was it clear where to meet the shuttle that took you to and from the pier? Did you have any problem with mosiquitos or biting sand fleas? (I've seen reports of that previously.)

Thanks!

Archived