Sapphire Princess in San Francisco tomorrow

aaerobear

Stupid question maybe, so forgive me in advance. We are going on our first MR cruise in May. Are there any Pacific storms normally in May? Not that I care as long as I'm on a ship I'm good, just wondering about the weather since we have always sailed from Florida. Thanks, also not trying to change the post.

Stupid question maybe, so forgive me in advance. We are going on our first MR cruise in May. Are there any Pacific storms normally in May? Not that I care as long as I'm on a ship I'm good, just wondering about the weather since we have always sailed from Florida. Thanks, also not trying to change the post.

May is usually pretty good..

down the coast will be a little rough until about San Diego ...

Aerobear is based at the port of SFO, so he's in know about everything SFO cruise related when it comes to logistics

Normally we don't have many storms in May. However, I can remember

two Mays in a row where it was horribly blustery and windy with no rain.

Last May we did have rain, because that's when the ships were diverted

up north here to avoid Swine Flu epidemic of Mexico and there was definitely rain in early May. That is more the exception than the rule

though.

Aaerobear - Where2Next says your in the know SFO cruise related. Is it worth a try to try to catch my cruise in SFO. Was scheduled to be on 10-17 MR, DH is on cruise I stayed back due to family emergency. Princess had approved me to catch in PV on Tuesday, now diverted to SFO. In person to port authority, etc. with all documentation, doctors letter, princess prior approval, flights allowing cancellations due to weather given the unforseen circumstances is it worth a try to plead my case.

Someone posted from the ship about the entire itinerary change: Ensenada, San Diego, Catalina, SFO. Of course, no beach time like in the MR, but Catalina sounds like a neat place to visit and I'd love to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge, so I thought it was a pretty cool itinerary (both figuratively and literally -- it's what? in the 50s in SFO?!). I wish Princess would do a coastal cruise outside the usual repositioning times of the year -- I'd really like to do the Pacific coast in the summertime.

Maybe this has been asked in the past, so forgive me if this is the case. In the event that your cruise gets diverted (much like this one has) does the cruiseline still offer shore excursions? Or are you more on your own? Just curious.

Maybe this has been asked in the past, so forgive me if this is the case. In the event that your cruise gets diverted (much like this one has) does the cruiseline still offer shore excursions? Or are you more on your own? Just curious.

The shore excursion staff will scramble in these instances to come up with shore excursions for the new ports. All are ports that Princess has stopped at before on repositioning Coastal cruises and during the Spring swine flu diversions, so Princess will have some vendors they have worked with who can probably pull together some excursions on short notice, especially since it is probably slow for most tour vendors at this time of year. There may not be a lot of choices, but I'm sure they will do their best to come up with some nice options for the passengers.

The good news is that all of those ports are also very easy to explore on your own.

I thought it was just San Fran, Catalina Island and San Diego. Did I miss the listing of Encinada?

The poster who announced it did say Ensenada as well. They have to have a foreign port to meet Jones Act requirements, so Ensenada is filling the requirement.

The shore excursion staff will scramble in these instances to come up with shore excursions for the new ports. All are ports that Princess has stopped at before on repositioning Coastal cruises and during the Spring swine flu diversions, so Princess will have some vendors they have worked with who can probably pull together some excursions on short notice, especially since it is probably slow for most tour vendors at this time of year. There may not be a lot of choices, but I'm sure they will do their best to come up with some nice options for the passengers.

The good news is that all of those ports are also very easy to explore on your own.

That IS good news, thanks for the info.

Of course, no beach time like in the MR, but Catalina sounds like a neat place to visit and I'd love to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge,

Catalina is a hoot! Be sure to rent a golf cart and you can tool all over the island. Don't forget the waffle cone ice cream....it's the best! Sailing under the Golden Gate is fantastic. Enjoy your diverted cruise.

I am sorry folks, I am out of town this week (minneapolis) so I did not get back to you about the possibility of getting on in SF, I am sure Princess did all they could for you. I hope you were able to join your travelling companions.

Archived