Nice beaches close to port in Samana

smoothsailingagain

I hear your anquish. I have cruised alot and this port no one likes so why stop there? We were excited to go to a new port but can find nothing to do except spend$$$$ for excursions and we have a large party. Let me know if you get ANY help. Can't believe it has been a port of call and no one can tell us something to do without money.

No. The only public beach is, well, kinda sketchy and not that nice.

I highly recommend the El Limon waterfall (horseback ride there with Terry). On a hot day it felt fantastic to be swimming in the natural cool water.

Everyone else on our cruise who DIDN't do the waterfall thought Samana was a total waste of time.

• 4 weeks later...

Just posted this info on our roll call, as I have been searching for beach info for Samana.

You still need to take a taxi up to Las Galeras and following is the beach info I have found.

PM La Playita

This small sandy beach near town is just a short walk west of Hotel Villa Serena, and offers excellent reef snorkeling in calm, shallow waters. The safe pool-like environment makes it a great spot for kids to have their first go at donning mask and fins. In addition to being a "picture perfect" beach, Playita has one of the nicest shallow-water snorkeling reefs on the bay.

Playa Cala Blanca

Accessible by a 10-minute walk east along the Las Galeras beachfront to just before the Casa Marina Bay Hotel, this public beach is blessed with fine sand and calm waters. With its proximity to town and shallow, reef-protected swimming, it’s another favorite with families.

Playa Galeras

This half-mile horseshoe-shaped beach is remarkably beautiful, especially considering that it lies just off the main road in town. Calm, shallow water makes for good swimming. During your stint on the sand, you might want to grab a bite – the fresh seafood is locally caught – at one of the casual thatched-roof eateries lining the entrance to the beach. Or you can hop on a boat here to reach other area beaches

Just posted this info on our roll call, as I have been searching for beach info for Samana.

You still need to take a taxi up to Las Galeras and following is the beach info I have found.

PM La Playita

This small sandy beach near town is just a short walk west of Hotel Villa Serena, and offers excellent reef snorkeling in calm, shallow waters. The safe pool-like environment makes it a great spot for kids to have their first go at donning mask and fins. In addition to being a "picture perfect" beach, Playita has one of the nicest shallow-water snorkeling reefs on the bay.

Playa Cala Blanca

Accessible by a 10-minute walk east along the Las Galeras beachfront to just before the Casa Marina Bay Hotel, this public beach is blessed with fine sand and calm waters. With its proximity to town and shallow, reef-protected swimming, it’s another favorite with families.

Playa Galeras

This half-mile horseshoe-shaped beach is remarkably beautiful, especially considering that it lies just off the main road in town. Calm, shallow water makes for good swimming. During your stint on the sand, you might want to grab a bite – the fresh seafood is locally caught – at one of the casual thatched-roof eateries lining the entrance to the beach. Or you can hop on a boat here to reach other area beaches

would you happen to know the distance and taxi price to these beaches?thanks

• 1 month later...
Oh please -- write an answer -- we are a party of 4 and will be there on Sunday Feb 14, 2010. Don't like the ships excursions -- to expensive for family of 4 with 5 ports ! That is why I asked if any local shops are open on Sunday.

I am looking for the same thing. We too are a family of four and will be in Samana the same day.

No. The only public beach is, well, kinda sketchy and not that nice.

I highly recommend the El Limon waterfall (horseback ride there with Terry). On a hot day it felt fantastic to be swimming in the natural cool water.

Everyone else on our cruise who DIDN't do the waterfall thought Samana was a total waste of time.

How much did this tour cost? Was it book thru cruise excursions or on your own?

DH & I just returned, NCL Pearl.

Samana, was a total waste of time!!!!

Upon reaching the shore, it goes down from there. We were under the same impression that we could enjoy a 'local beach' however it was an awful experience!

First off they charge $25 pp round trip to bring you to a 'supposed beach' which was 15 minutes away. The ride was motorbike/pedicab attatchment. The road was awful, with lack of respect for either side of the road (it's free range for anyone). The entrance to the beach was steep and rocky. Once on the beach DH & I were harrased to purchase trinkets and the like (they don't take no for an answer). The water was awful, not clear at all. The beach was barely even a beach (due to erosion). My husband was offered a "GOOD Massage" over and over again by local woman (you can figure that out for yourself). We were told not to go up the hill on our own, due to the 'unsafe envioronment' for us as tourists.

It was an awful and scary experience. The cruise line portray's it as much different then it actually is. You'll surely be dissapointed, along with feeling unsafe. I would only recommend the beach excursion via the shore excursion.

Samana, is a port I would never go to again. Alot of other's agree. Don't waste your time!!!

A perfect beach day can be spent on Tortola, via taxi for $12 pp round trip with a real beach and nice people. Trust me, this is my eleventh cruise, this island is more then poor and not for a tourist to see

DH & I just returned, NCL Pearl.

Samana, was a total waste of time!!!!

Upon reaching the shore, it goes down from there. We were under the same impression that we could enjoy a 'local beach' however it was an awful experience!

First off they charge $25 pp round trip to bring you to a 'supposed beach' which was 15 minutes away. The ride was motorbike/pedicab attatchment. The road was awful, with lack of respect for either side of the road (it's free range for anyone). The entrance to the beach was steep and rocky. Once on the beach DH & I were harrased to purchase trinkets and the like (they don't take no for an answer). The water was awful, not clear at all. The beach was barely even a beach (due to erosion). My husband was offered a "GOOD Massage" over and over again by local woman (you can figure that out for yourself). We were told not to go up the hill on our own, due to the 'unsafe envioronment' for us as tourists.

It was an awful and scary experience. The cruise line portray's it as much different then it actually is. You'll surely be dissapointed, along with feeling unsafe. I would only recommend the beach excursion via the shore excursion.

Samana, is a port I would never go to again. Alot of other's agree. Don't waste your time!!!

A perfect beach day can be spent on Tortola, via taxi for $12 pp round trip with a real beach and nice people. Trust me, this is my eleventh cruise, this island is more then poor and not for a tourist to see

what was the beach in Tortola? We will be going there next month and we r not in port very long so the beach is likely all we can do.

try and plan an excursion to Cayo if you can it was beautiful and a wonderful experience with no problems at all and friendly people. All of the other ports are easy to plan days to do things on your own. We loved every port and after much research only booked 1 excursion and that was Cayo. In Tortola we found taxi buses everywhere for 10 rt to take you on a tour up the mountain for amazing views and then to the beach.

I think NJ Gal meant to say "Cane Garden Bay" in Tortola...

We were just in Samana, a day before the earthquake in Haiti, and found it a pretty depressing place. The Dominican Republic is very poor, and Samana is no exception. We were told that there was little water service there, and there was a lot of street repair going on. It was too early to see whales (except for a few in the bay as our ship approached), and the weather was bad, so everyone hated this stop except for me. I did the horseback to El Limon excursion, but at least in the pouring down rain, it was not for the faint of heart - kind of steep, rocky path, water crossings, etc. My "guide" barely made it through the stream ok, and I and another shipmate had no guides for at least 5 minutes as she struggled to make it through the water, with the other guide's help. The view from the ridge as you approach the waterfall, however, was stunning. I won't forget that view for a long time - or the horseback ride itself, although it was a little scary.

Cayo looked beautiful, and our ship (Oceania Regatta) tendered you there for free, but with the hard rain, I was not interested in seeing it. All in all, most people will find Samana a waste of time, I'm afraid, especially after visiting St. Barts, Tortola, Virgin Gorda, and Antigua as we did. I found the DR to be absolutely beautiful, however, and nobody tried to sell me anything or hassle me in Samana, so it was fine. I'll remember it a whole lot more than Tortola, where we rented a jeep and had a flat tire on Ridge Road - not fun. Don't rent from Hertz in Tortola, by the way - we had a very bad experience with them. St. Barts Hertz was great, though...

Not happy to hear about the port of Samana but better safe than sorry, so thanks for the info.

Cane Garden Beach is a beautiful beach in Tortola. They have chairs and umbrellas for rent, rest rooms and a snack bar serving decent food. Also a nice gift shop. There's shade and of course locals selling things, but they're not pushy.

• 2 years later...

There are a few Professional Taxi drivers starting to promote themselves on the Internet. One is called " 5 Stars " and the other one " Optima ".

These guys are very reliable and courteous to go exploring the Samana Peninsula and go to the Beach of your choice. Also they do speak ENGLISH.

Some of those great beaches we have close to the Port of Samana :

1) La Playita

2) Playa El Valle

3) Playa Rincon

4) Playa Anadel ( Cayenas del Mar Beach Club )

Paying in both US Dollars, Euros or Dominican Pesos should be no problem at all with them.

You can Google : Samana Taxi to Beach

and find them easily on the Tourism Website of GO SAMANA.

Steve

Tour Guide

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
There are a few Professional Taxi drivers starting to promote themselves on the Internet. One is called " 5 Stars " and the other one " Optima ".

These guys are very reliable and courteous to go exploring the Samana Peninsula and go to the Beach of your choice. Also they do speak ENGLISH.

Some of those great beaches we have close to the Port of Samana :

1) La Playita

2) Playa El Valle

3) Playa Rincon

4) Playa Anadel ( Cayenas del Mar Beach Club )

Paying in both US Dollars, Euros or Dominican Pesos should be no problem at all with them.

You can Google : Samana Taxi to Beach

and find them easily on the Tourism Website of GO SAMANA.

Steve

Tour Guide

Has anyone had any experience with doing a tour while at this port or any suggestions. This port is not sounding like a fun experience : (

How long of cab ride is it from the cruise port to Playa Rincon. Beach there looks really beautiful.

It is about 30 minutes. Contact casadoradoDR.com to set up a tour. I think you will be more than happy. I toured with them in 2007, loved every second. The also provide 2 guides!

Archived