Adventure Ocean & "Potty-Trained" I have questions?

CruisingCamper

I have searched the threads and found a number of threads about the topic and I have read RCCL's statement about being fully potty-trained and now I am a bit nervous about my next sailing.

We are booked on the Jewel for a Panama Canal cruise and our DS3 just turned 3 last Saturday.

I do consider him "Potty-trained", but now...after reading all the threads..I'm not so sure he's potty-trained enough for RCCL.

Well for #1 He rarely has accidents... but we help him with his clothes.. and RCCL will not?? Anyone have any experience with this? Do the counselors send them into a bathroom stall to go alone, or into the bathroom alone.. they do not help them at all????

And for #2...well he has issues, medical ones. I guess they could page me to come get him and I could help him with the task.

I guess I'm concerned about the no help thing..with pants or buttons... He could wear pull up pants, I suppose everyday, but still to trust a three year old?? Who knows?

And Pull-ups, not allowed? I can't tell when I get home in the evening if my son has on pulls or underwear??? I have to actually check, so how would the counselors know? Oh well, I would do it anyway, but how would they know?

And lastly. are the 3 strikes for our cruises no matter the length? We'll be on a 10 day, so they get more strikes than a 7 day?

Thanks for any advice...

They don't "help" them at all...they have to be able to zip, snap, pull...whatever it takes to get the pants off and on alone.

Now's the time to start letting your son figure out HOW to do the bathroom thing on his own!

What are "strikes"?

Kids need to be totally independent with everything - clothes, hand washing, and knowing when to go. We were just on FOS last month, and my son was in the 3-5 group. I just asked him if the staff reminded him to go potty or if he just had to go on his own, and he said he just had to go on his own.

Same with us- we were on Majesty of the Seas with our 3 year and 3 month old who potty trained at about 2 years 11 mo (so only 4 mo in). When we boarded they were explicit in asking if he could do everything, including wipe after a BM by himself. Luckily I worked on all of that before we went so I was very sure. They do have "small" toilets in the kids area so they won't need any help up and down.

P.S. If it helps here is a wiping trick that worked with my son- have your child roll the toilet paper from the holder to the floor (to measure) break it off, wipe and repeat for a total of 3 times, not only does it usually ensure a clean bottom, it also keeps the toilet unclogged! He is now 4 1/2 and still does this!

Wow! Those rules seem a bit rediculous to me. I used to work in child care and it's really not hard to schedule bathroom breaks where all the kids are encouraged to try. We used to do them before snacks and meals (also so the kids could wash their hands) and before going outside. It's not uncommon for kids to have the occasional accident long after they are trained. Most kids will wait to the last minute when they are busy having fun so I don't see why the staff can't schedule a few bathroom breaks throughout the day to help prevent that.The not helping thing is a little silly too. What is their reasoning for that? I'm guessing it's because they are worried about lawsuits (staff being accused of inappropriate behaviour) and if that's the case, it's pretty sad that a person can't help a little kid pull up their pants these days without fearing a law suit.

And Pull-ups, not allowed? I can't tell when I get home in the evening if my son has on pulls or underwear??? I have to actually check, so how would the counselors know? Oh well, I would NOT do it anyway, but how would they know?

And lastly. are the 3 strikes for our cruises no matter the length? We'll be on a 10 day, so they get more strikes than a 7 day?

Thanks for any advice...

Sorry..I meant to say that I would not do it.

Thanks for all the other replys...I'm not sure why RCCL has that rule.

I thought that my son was pretty mature for his age..but I guess he's not, b/c he's 3 and can't go to the bathroom alone yet, but maybe by February, we can have him trained by then, or he won't be going to the kid club..or I may have to switch back to Carnival or NCL.:(

The strikes..I have read here on Cruise Critic that the kids in the kid clubs are given three strikes and they are thrown out of the club for the duration of the cruise. A potty accident is considered a strike according to posters.

Wow! Those rules seem a bit rediculous to me. I used to work in child care and it's really not hard to schedule bathroom breaks where all the kids are encouraged to try. We used to do them before snacks and meals (also so the kids could wash their hands) and before going outside. It's not uncommon for kids to have the occasional accident long after they are trained. Most kids will wait to the last minute when they are busy having fun so I don't see why the staff can't schedule a few bathroom breaks throughout the day to help prevent that.The not helping thing is a little silly too. What is their reasoning for that? I'm guessing it's because they are worried about lawsuits (staff being accused of inappropriate behaviour) and if that's the case, it's pretty sad that a person can't help a little kid pull up their pants these days without fearing a law suit.

I agree:) I wish they would have the potty breaks, but I guess they have some reason for doing it this way.

If I had to wager a guess as to why RCCL requires that a child be completely self sufficient in the potty it would be because they do not want their staff members to come into contact with any child's genitalia for any reason what so ever.

If they can ensure that this never happens then they reduce their liability.

It makes perfect sense to me. I may not like it, but I understand it.

our son 3yrs old dose any one now what there like on P&O australia?

Gosh, P&O doesnt come up on these boards much. Does anyone happen to know what the potty policy is for P&O for a 3yo?

Is your 3yo completely potty trained?

If I had to wager a guess as to why RCCL requires that a child be completely self sufficient in the potty it would be because they do not want their staff members to come into contact with any child's genitalia for any reason what so ever.

Yeah..I guess I understand it too! We just have some practice to do at our house before the sailing. I got Nanny working on it today, and I plan to buy only "pull up" pants and shorts for the cruise, that way it'll be easier for him.

Having just got off RCCL Freedom 3 weeks ago, I can tell you for sure that the kids do have to do all bathroom activities independently. My daughter turned 3 at the end of July and I was a little nervous about this too. The class she moved into at preschool in Aug. has these same rules so she had about 2 months of practice before the cruise, which thankfully was enough I guess. I too think 3 is a little young to do all of that independently but that is their rule. I just always sent her to AO in either dresses or elastic bottoms to make sure she would have no problems. And we also always took her to the bathroom before going to AO to lower the liklihood of an accident. The longest she ever stayed in there at one time was about 2 hours so it never was a problem for us. As far as pull-ups...I don't know how they would know? I doubt they look but I wouldn't chance it! If your child is pretty much potty trained, you take them to the bathroom before going to AO, and they don't stay in there for many hours at one time - you really should be fine.

our son 3yrs old dose any one now what there like on P&O australia?

P&O runs exactly like Carnival and Royal Caribbean in the fact that the child must be completely potty trained and not in nappies of any kind, not even pull ups. They do not have scheduled potty breaks and the child must be able to go on his/her own without being told.

Having just got off RCCL Freedom 3 weeks ago, I can tell you for sure that the kids do have to do all bathroom activities independently. My daughter turned 3 at the end of July and I was a little nervous about this too. The class she moved into at preschool in Aug. has these same rules so she had about 2 months of practice before the cruise, which thankfully was enough I guess. I too think 3 is a little young to do all of that independently but that is their rule. I just always sent her to AO in either dresses or elastic bottoms to make sure she would have no problems. And we also always took her to the bathroom before going to AO to lower the liklihood of an accident. The longest she ever stayed in there at one time was about 2 hours so it never was a problem for us. As far as pull-ups...I don't know how they would know? I doubt they look but I wouldn't chance it! If your child is pretty much potty trained, you take them to the bathroom before going to AO, and they don't stay in there for many hours at one time - you really should be fine.

Thanks for your comments! I was also thinking the same thing..that we could take him right before he goes to AO, then he'll probably only stay a couple of hours, so we'll take him then we he gets out of there. If we see him struggling too much or he gets a strike, then we'll just go to the AO every few hours and remind him to go to the potty. Of course, I hope that by February..we can have him ready to go with no help at all, but who knows we may have to resort to something else.

From some of you past RCCL cruisers..Do they actual look down your kids pants to see if they are wearing pull-ups or feel of their underwear? How else can they know? I am just curious..

I would hope they wouldn't "look in their pants" but you can sort of tell when a pull up is on. At least, I could when my kids wore them. It would stick out of their waistband a little.

They can't help them at all. So I sent mine with clothes that they could easily pull up and down.

One mom here did say a while back that when she went to check in her child the couselor said "pull ups?" and the mom said "no" and the counselor grabbed the child and felt for pullups. :eek: That's all kinds of WRONG and I would hope that the person isn't still employed by the cruiseline.

I would hope they wouldn't "look in their pants" but you can sort of tell when a pull up is on. At least, I could when my kids wore them. It would stick out of their waistband a little.

They can't help them at all. So I sent mine with clothes that they could easily pull up and down.

One mom here did say a while back that when she went to check in her child the couselor said "pull ups?" and the mom said "no" and the counselor grabbed the child and felt for pullups. :eek: That's all kinds of WRONG and I would hope that the person isn't still employed by the cruiseline.

What did the Mom do?

P&O runs exactly like Carnival and Royal Caribbean in the fact that the child must be completely potty trained and not in nappies of any kind, not even pull ups. They do not have scheduled potty breaks and the child must be able to go on his/her own without being told.

Actually, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think Carnival does change diapers. My kids are 7 and 9 so this isn't an issue for me personally but we do often travel with family and my sister has a 2 year old and a new baby on the way so it could be a concern for them if we travel with them again.

I imagine Disney changes diapers as well since I know they have a nursery for little ones.

Actually, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think Carnival does change diapers. My kids are 7 and 9 so this isn't an issue for me personally but we do often travel with family and my sister has a 2 year old and a new baby on the way so it could be a concern for them if we travel with them again.

I imagine Disney changes diapers as well since I know they have a nursery for little ones.

You are correct - Carnival does change diapers.

We were on the Mariner last March with our 3 year old son and he had a minor "pee" accident while in Adventure Ocean. They gave him a pair of Adventure Ocean shorts to put on and paged us. When we got there we didn't know what had happened or what to expect (I had brought some extra clothes, just in case :) They told us and said it was no big deal. I took him into the bathroom to put on a new pair of underpants and he kept the AO shorts on. We did not get any "strikes" and no one made out like it was a big problem or anything. We just talked to him about it and it didn't happen again. The staff was very kind. On another cruise several years ago with RC, my nephew who has Asperger's syndrome was a bit too rowdy and did end up getting "3 strikes" for behavior issues. He was not allowed to go back to AO.

Besides this they may also be concerned about touching/interacting with bodily fluids and the possible spread of bacteria/disease. This type policy protects both the children and the staff.

We were on the Mariner last March with our 3 year old son and he had a minor "pee" accident while in Adventure Ocean. They gave him a pair of Adventure Ocean shorts to put on and paged us. When we got there we didn't know what had happened or what to expect (I had brought some extra clothes, just in case :) They told us and said it was no big deal. I took him into the bathroom to put on a new pair of underpants and he kept the AO shorts on. We did not get any "strikes" and no one made out like it was a big problem or anything. We just talked to him about it and it didn't happen again. The staff was very kind. On another cruise several years ago with RC, my nephew who has Asperger's syndrome was a bit too rowdy and did end up getting "3 strikes" for behavior issues. He was not allowed to go back to AO.

Good to hear the "pee" accident wasn't bad for your son!!

Archived