Which Photo Storing Site to use?

Which photo storage site do you use? Am I allowed to ask that? I am trying to upload pictures to Photobucket for a fellow CCer and it is taking FOREVER! SO SLOW!

I've used Picasa for the past 4 years or so. It is a Google-sponsored dealie and is free. No advertising, easy to use, very good editing program (unless you are a pro, I guess).

Quick uploads from your camera or reader. They also offer free web albums that are easy to set up, view, use.

The photo viewer is great......and the gift CD's are easy to make and are lovely.

Which photo storage site do you use? Am I allowed to ask that? I am trying to upload pictures to Photobucket for a fellow CCer and it is taking FOREVER! SO SLOW!

What size are the photo files you are trying to upload?

If they are 2 or 3 MB and you have a slow broadband service or your ISP is extremely loaded down, it will take longer to upload. I normally resize my shots to around 100KB to upload to photobucket but the other day forgot to do so and my shot took a lot more time to upload since I have a lite broadband plan. Photobucket does resize pictures for on screen display but it must upload the whole picture file before it can do so.

My newer computer and laptop has Premium Vista which has a resize option in the photo viewer. On my older XP computers I have a free picture file resizer software from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Alpha like you, when I upload my photos off my card to computer, then to Photo Bucket, I normally don't have to resize unless I wish to eliminate extra background. I resized my Dolphin shot only because I had a persons hand in the way from the Deck below, holding a Video Camera. :D.

Alpha like you, when I upload my photos off my card to computer, then to Photo Bucket, I normally don't have to resize unless I wish to eliminate extra background. I resized my Dolphin shot only because I had a persons hand in the way from the Deck below, holding a Video Camera. :D.

You are actually cropping the picture when you remove extra background or a portion of the outside to reduce the physical appearance of what the original picture showed and that will reduce the file size somewhat depending on how much you crop out. If you only crop a little of the picture, your file size won't be reduced much since the resolution is still at the same level.

My post deals with the size of the picture file (resolution of the shot) where you reduce the pixels count, eg. 1920 X 1080 to 800 X 600, but don't alter the look of the shot, unless you go to an very low resolution and then it will be blurry. Less memory then will be required to store the file and it will take less time to send over the internet.

The shot below originally had a resolution of 3872 X 2592 and was 2.51 MB (2,510 KB) in size. I reduced the resolution to 800 X 600 pixels and the file size was now 157 KB or only 4% of the original size thus can be uploaded in 1/25 the time it would take to do so with the original. You don't need a high resolution picture file size to display nicely on a computer monitor screen as you can see but do need high resolution one to print large size photographs like 10" X 14".

DSC02918a.jpg

I've used both Webshots and Photobucket, but prefer Photobucket for it's ease of use and for posting photos here on CC. The photobucket photos post on the forum boards much larger.

You are probably comparing the size to the thumbnail shot which is a much lower resolution since there is only a need to display a very small picture. The Photobucket link goes to the actual shot which you can see by clicking on the thumbnail shot.

You are probably comparing the size to the thumbnail shot which is a much lower resolution since there is only a need to display a very small picture. The Photobucket link goes to the actual shot which you can see by clicking on the thumbnail shot.

Nope, I'm not comparing the thumbnail and a Photobucket link....Webshots "Link to it" is not a thumbnail, but is stll smaller than what Photobucket will post. I'm no expert, but the 600 pixels for Webshots is a smaller shot than Photobucket posts.

Photobucket:

IMG_0408.jpg

Webshots:

2784717140100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

Alpha the picture I took of the Hotel is off Photo Bucket. I haven't tried posting off other sites because I am comfortable with PB. They do post really nice shots. I could have cropped the Hotel I suppose but wanted to keep the full picture.
\

That photo is beautiful! :) The hotel is pretty nice too. :)

Nope, I'm not comparing the thumbnail and a Photobucket link....Webshots "Link to it" is not a thumbnail, but is stll smaller than what Photobucket will post. I'm no expert, but the 600 pixels for Webshots is a smaller shot than Photobucket posts.

[/img][/url]

Are you sure that the resize size selection in the upload option for each is set the same. The size in pixels is usually two numbers like 800 X 600 (pixels) not a single number like you stated. On Photobucket you can check (more option) under the Upload images & video button to see your selected setting for this. I'm not sure how you confirm this on Webshot since I don't use it.

I've used Flickr for a number of years now. I think it is the most versitile and has the best looking layout. If you will be storing more than 200 photos, however, you'll need to get a Pro account for $25 a year.

Here's my set for the Sapphire Princess to give you an idea how it looks:

Hi robtulip, is a a photo I took of a Hotel in Waikiki, this is off my Canon A520, I didn't change the size after uploading to photo bucket. I will not claim to be a pro, but I do love photographing.:)

WaikikiHotel.jpg

Great shot. I love this old hotel. The Sheraton Moana .... check that I think they changed it to a Westin now. It was a Sheraton when last stayed there. The older part of the hotel dates back to 1901 or so.

Archived