Island Princess 10-Day Panama Canal Review - Not quite LIVE ... but close

SweetAngel

Day 9 – MysticMountainGardens

As we headed back to the chairlift, we wandered through splendorous gardens. The gardens at the top of MysticMountain are delightfully captivating. JD and I both took pictures.

100_4349.jpg?t=1263877438

There is a trail that leads through the rainforest for intimate views.

100_4350.jpg?t=1263877493

I particularly loved the tropical flowers.

100_4351.jpg?t=1263877543

They were gorgeous!

100_4352.jpg?t=1263877580

I could have taken many more pictures.

PA190151.jpg?t=1263877604

But it was time to head back down the mountain … back over the treetops …

100_4355.jpg?t=1263877637

the intricate patterns of the treetops of the Jamaican rainforest.

Day 9 – Leaving Mystic Mountain

It turned out that we had plenty of time. The bus was there waiting, and it wasn’t leaving quite just yet. So I walked around the parking lot taking in a little bit more of the scenery.

100_4372.jpg?t=1263878084

I was intrigued by a gigantic tree, so massive that I had to take two pictures:

Top:

100_4381.jpg?t=1263878116

Bottom:

100_4380.jpg?t=1263878184

These delicate red flowers grew everywhere.

100_4390.jpg?t=1263878237

JD and I had allowed a couple hours to get back to the ship, but the journey took minutes. On the way, the bus driver stopped at Island Village for anyone who wanted to get out. He suggested we walk back to the ship through the marketplace. Nearly everyone got out.

100_4292.jpg?t=1263878265

Outside of Island Village, there were more of those aggressive street vendors, but inside the marketplace was nice. This is the best place to shop! My Advice: Avoid street vendors. You will hardly be pestered if you shop inside a store, and the marketplace is wonderful with lots of great shops quite close to the pier.

Day 9 – Margaritaville

Our favorite place in Island Village was Margaritaville. Oh, what a fantastic place! You could save the money on a tour and spend the whole day here!

100_4392.jpg?t=1263878355

For the price of a drink, and not just any drink – a delicious, world famous margarita – you get access to this amazing wonderland.

100_4398.jpg?t=1263878384

Margaritaville has its own private beach, separated from the busy public beach where the locals hang out. There is also security to keep anyone from crossing over and pestering you on the beach.

100_4400.jpg?t=1263878579

There is indoor and outdoor seating with plenty of shade.

100_4401.jpg?t=1263878609

There is even a swimming pool, hot tub, and waterslide. But be careful: Either the margaritas are wickedly potent or there is a crazy current in that pool!

100_4404.jpg?t=1263878659

There is also a swim-up bar with underwater stools.

PA190185.jpg?t=1263878694

Always a good crowd and a fun time at Margaritaville.

Thank you for the review of Jamaca and the wonderful pictures. On our upcoming 10 day Island Princess cruise they switched us from jamaca to Grand CAymen, now I am kind of sad that they changed us. I have heard so many unfavorable reviews of Jamaca and was glad for the change but after your beautiful pictures I will definetly book a cruise that goes to Ocho Rios in the future.

All of us still looking forward to our cruise on the Island, thank you so much, you have really gotten us hyped:D

Kris

Thanks so much for your extremely enjoyable and complete review. One of the best reviews I have ever read on Cruise Critic. I will doing a similar cruise on the Island in February and you comments and pictures have been extremely helpful to me in planning the trip.

Day 9 – All Aboard

We spent every minute we could in Jamaica and were among the last passengers back onboard Island Princess. JD got one of his favorite mocktails, pina colada, and brought it to the room.

100_4413.jpg?t=1263878831

This was our favorite sailaway … a private goodbye from our own balcony cabin. We had such a good time today that we were both smiling for hours.

21068_107316322613220_100000045596937_195421_2953845_n.jpg

Once out to sea, we went up to the Pizzeria for a late afternoon snack …

100_4418.jpg?t=1263878908

… which we took to the Island Bar because there were seats available.

100_4419.jpg?t=1263878946

Look at me, still smiling with the Island glow.

Our Cruise Critic group was having a final sailaway get-together on Lido Deck, so we joined them for a spell.

10-19-09OchoSailaway044.jpg?t=1263880988

We had a good time sharing our adventures of the day with one another. Yes, this was the friendliest, kindest CC group anyone could have asked for.

One of the best, most thorough reviews, I have ever read regarding a cruise. The pictures were just an added bonus. I am scheduled to be on the March 30, 2010 Island Princess sailing with the same itinerary, and am really looking forward to sharing some of the same experiences that you and JD did.:cool:

WOW! What an amazing review and itinerary! I'm curious about the demographics on the ship....any kids? We have an 11 year old and a 9 year old; will there be enough other kids on board for them to socialize with in Shockwaves? We only had 70 kids last month on the Sapphire and that was fine, but I worry this itinerary would have far fewer.

I would agree with other posters that this is a great review with wonderul photos. The canal looks fabulous! Here is my problem: the food and cabins she shows on the Princess ship look awful! I cringed as I read through the thread with increasing doubt about my upcoming Princess cruise.

I just returned from a HAL Caribbean cruise where the food was significantly more gourmet than the photos shown here. Mushroom gravy? Fajitas? I cannot even imagine those items being served at dinner on a cruise ship. The cabins looked small and the furniture out of date. What is that awful circular light on the mini suite ceiling? I am not a picky person; I just want a cruise experience in food and lodging as nice as a first-class hotel would be. Princess has upscale advertising that paints a lovely picture of their cruise experience, but these photos show another side of the picture. White plastic furniture?

I have a suite on the Crown Princess booked for the New England/Canada 10-day tour in September and was considering a Panama full transit on a Princess ship next January. Now I wonder if I should call my TA and change cruise lines. I am not a frequent cruiser and have only cruised twice each on Royal Caribbean and HAL and on an Avalon river cruise. But all looked much better than this ship. What am I missing?

That is funny because when I look at Holland America cabins THey look very old fashioned to me. Like my Nan's bedroom quite honestly:)

We had a balcony cabin on the Island Princess Full Transit and it was lovely. We thought it very well kept and modern. They do have the wooden steamer type loungers on the Promenade and they were very comfortable. But I must admit some of the plastic furniture up on the Lido deck was in need of replacement. On the other hand the rattan furniture in the Lotus pool area was gorgeous.

As far as the food went..I think that is a personal preference and possibly what Sweet Angel liked we wouldnt.

I found the presentation in the MDR and in Bayou Cafe and Sabatini's to be very nice.

We had a fabulous time on our full transit and would recommend the Island Princess to anyone.

Wow - what a great review - I have been reading all morning and it makes me get more excited as we are going on this cruise in a few weeks! What deck were you on for the front viewing going through the canal? You said there was a secret door????;) Thanks again for the great review....

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am in awe of your detailed descriptions and amazing photos! I, along with many others, appreciate the time and money you have put into this review. I am leaving on the Island Princess for the same itinerary in 3 days. I have been reading your review over and over, and it has only made me more excited for this trip! I am so grateful that you chose to share your wonderful journey with the rest of us!

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am in awe of your detailed descriptions and amazing photos! I, along with many others, appreciate the time and money you have put into this review. I am leaving on the Island Princess for the same itinerary in 3 days. I have been reading your review over and over, and it has only made me more excited for this trip! I am so grateful that you chose to share your wonderful journey with the rest of us!

Great - we leave a little after you....maybe you can find the best viewing point, I think it on Aloha deck in the front???? Can't wait to hear your review! Thanks!

Hi Angel, great review and pictures! We are taking the same trip in December on the Island Princess. I have a question for you. Did JD, as a Canadian, need any special visas for any of the countries you visited? We are Canadians too, and I have been trying to find out any visa requirements.

Thanks very much.

SLWW

Great - we leave a little after you....maybe you can find the best viewing point, I think it on Aloha deck in the front???? Can't wait to hear your review! Thanks!

Wow - what a great review - I have been reading all morning and it makes me get more excited as we are going on this cruise in a few weeks! What deck were you on for the front viewing going through the canal? You said there was a secret door????;) Thanks again for the great review....

The "secret" doors are on the Baja and Caribe decks...

The "secret" viewing areas forward on Aloha and Baja you will find are not really a secret...and you really need to move around the ship for good views. The wonderful premenade deck (deck 7) on the Island is a great view also, and if you get tired you can sit down on one of the wooden loungers!!

:( .. surely you are NOT finished and leaving us hanging before you leave the ship - you have spoiled us and we need till the bitter end details!

I am def booking the same tour you did for Jamaica and I am booking the Island Princess for 2012 as soon as the itineraries are released! A group of us will be going -- and I am sure your commission check will be waiting on you at Princess' headquarters! :rolleyes:

Hopefully you will return to add more delightful details when you have time.

THANK YOU! :)

I'm curious about the demographics on the ship....any kids? We have an 11 year old and a 9 year old; will there be enough other kids on board for them to socialize with in Shockwaves? We only had 70 kids last month on the Sapphire and that was fine, but I worry this itinerary would have far fewer.

Yes, this itinerary should have fewer kids. The number of kids that JD and I saw onboard was less than you could count on your fingers.

However, that may not be as disappointing as you might think. My own kids loved the Carnival cruise we took off-season with few kids onboard. They loved the extra personal attention from the counselors. There were still kids, just fewer, which made better relationships for them. Mine are both very shy and often intimidated, so they were much happier in the smaller, more intimate groups. You never know.

the food and cabins she shows on the Princess ship look awful! I cringed as I read through the thread with increasing doubt about my upcoming Princess cruise. Mushroom gravy? Fajitas? I cannot even imagine those items being served at dinner on a cruise ship. The cabins looked small and the furniture out of date. What am I missing?

I'm not sure what you could be missing after the many pages I wrote' date=' but consider this: Words should always win over pictures, just as taste should win over presentation.[/color']

Also, I didn't realize fajitas and mushroom gravy were inferior foods. I am so glad that Princess is not above offering them. Those fajitas were, without doubt, one of the best entrees of my life experience. Lucky for you, there are some superior options on the menu as well.

As far as the food went..I think that is a personal preference and possibly what Sweet Angel liked we wouldnt.

Possibly. We Nebraskans are known for poor culinary skills and rarely use silverware. Perhaps we get that from the neighboring Indians. :rolleyes:

It's true that everyone has their own opinion. I wrote this thread to give mine: Six cruises, five different lines ... Princess was the best tasting, hands down. It wasn't even close.

As far as the cabin: I too have had bigger and nicer cabins than this one on Princess. But this cabin was in no way unpleasant, nor did it take away one minute of pleasure from what was undoubtedly the best cruise of my life.

Archived