Best Place for Sail Away

sallybee6127

Aside from ON THE SHIP!, anywhere that suits you! We've done the pool deck sailaway a few times, with everyone waving and hollering to those onshore...we've been in Viking Crown Lounge for sailaway, on our balcony... once, I was unpacking and almost missed it!

You'll have plenty of time to scope out the ship and find a place you'd like to be!

Aside from ON THE SHIP!, anywhere that suits you! We've done the pool deck sailaway a few times, with everyone waving and hollering to those onshore...we've been in Viking Crown Lounge for sailaway, on our balcony... once, I was unpacking and almost missed it!

You'll have plenty of time to scope out the ship and find a place you'd like to be!

That was my thought... ON THE SHIP (not on shore watching it sail away after a frantic taxi ride). No, that last has never happened to me.

dh are usually on our balcony for a few minutes....if we are on the port side...if not, up top is where we go at the aft part of the ship. it's usually less crowded and we can easily walk from one side to the other side so we can see both sides. it's a slow go so we have time to enjoy it...

but yes, being on the ship of course is where you want to be, not waving or chasing after it

The best spot i would recomend for you to be on sail away would be rIght at the front of the ship in front of the horn. Lol

Jarell- we did exactly that when we sailed out of Invergordon, Scotland. There's a famous dolphin which likes to play round the ships, and we were all taking pictures, when a small boat shot across us. The Captain sounded the horn long and loud, and we were so shocked that I flung myself round the body of an elderly Welshman who'd been quietly watching next to me!---Became quite friendly after that.......jocap.

The best spot i would recomend for you to be on sail away would be rIght at the front of the ship in front of the horn. Lol

I agree about being by the horn. On my first two cruises, the captain didn't blow the horn during sail away and I was greatly disappointed. But for the last ones, the captain laid on it. I love it. It's so big and loud and just gets me excited about all the cruising days to come.

anyone ever watch James Lipton Inside the Actors Studio on Bravo? He has a series of questions he asks guests at the end. One of the questions is "what is your favorite sound or noise?"

One of my very favorite sounds is the horn blasting as the ship is pulling away from the dock at sail away.

It depends on you.

For privacy -- on your balcony if you have one.

For the biggest party -- on the pool deck. I prefer one deck above the fray. You are right there in it but not squished like sardines. Another fabulous option is in one of the hot tubs.

If you would like something more elegant on an RCL ship the Viking Crown Lounge is it. You get 360 degree panoramic views & you are behind glass so you can't hear the deck party.

For something more middle of the road, try to get a window seat in the lounge in the bow.

For us it's a function of where we are embarking. The last place I want to be is on a cold, windy deck when leaving from NYC in winter. If you are on the "wrong side" you can't see the Statue of Liberty &/or you get views of NJ rather than NYC, so unless it's an aft cabin, balcony isn't ideal. So we head up to the top lounge & watch from there. I did run outside last time when we were sailing past her. NCL had Lee *********'s Proud To Be An American playing & everybody was singing along. What brought tears to my eyes was the fact that the voices I heard were not native English speakers; everyone seemed to have a thick accent. Talk about melting pot.

If we are leaving from a tropical port, give me a fruity drink with an umbrella -- hot tub here I come!

Archived