Cuyutlan Turtle Sanctuary at Manzanillo

nklpikl

I have seen private and ship excursions to the Cuyutlan Turtle Sancuary. We are going to be in Manzanillo on Thanksgiving. My youngest daughter is 8 and is a turtle lover!

I really do not see much feedback on this and am really looking for feedback and opinions.

1. Will she get to be up close to the turtles.

2. Will children find this interesting

3. If you have done it, did you feel it was worth the cost

4. Does the time of day or time of year effect the experience

and any other info is greatly appreciated!

I have seen a similar trip in grand cayman and it was really mediocre. So when we took this cruise I refused to do this tour w/ my husband. Well, we watched the videos from the various exucrsions and it looked amazing! I still have never lived it down (it's been 5 years). The group set little baby sea turtles free in the ocean and it looked like they had a blast. You'd have to hear from someone who actually did it, but it looked amazing from what they showed that night.

We are doing this through chimaltours. Paco is the organizer. We have read reviews of other tours that chimaltours has done (recent) and the have been great. My daughter (16) is a turtle lover too (owns 3). We are looking very forward to this. Through chimaltours it includes salt museum, lagoon tour (bird watching), stop at some fruit plantation with tasting, transportation (with a/c) and more. Only $45 each. Can't compare to the other prices I've seen. Good luck.

We did this tour with Holland America in December 2007. It was one of the best nature shorex I have done. In summary during the bus drive to the sanctuary the tour guide explained about all the plants and animals in the area, then we had the sanctuary tour, then a fascinating tour of an old salt works, then lunch in a small town with dirt streets with some free time for the beach or shopping. The sanctuary really needs your help. It is very basic and needs money..buy a teeshirt. In this area like many in Mexico people used to make turtle soup when the big turtles came ashore to lay their eggs. Also the eggs were thought to be an aphrodisiac. Now people are paid to collect the eggs for hatching. They will explain all this and show you the tanks. Then comes the highlight: everyone goes to the beach, a line is drawn in the sand, everyone gets a baby turtle and they are released simultaneously. They know instinctively to go to the water but they are so small. your daughter could follow up by joining one of the conservation organizations. If you google "El Tortugario Cuyutlan" you will find photos.

We did this tour with Holland America in December 2007. It was one of the best nature shorex I have done. In summary during the bus drive to the sanctuary the tour guide explained about all the plants and animals in the area, then we had the sanctuary tour, then a fascinating tour of an old salt works, then lunch in a small town with dirt streets with some free time for the beach or shopping. The sanctuary really needs your help. It is very basic and needs money..buy a teeshirt. In this area like many in Mexico people used to make turtle soup when the big turtles came ashore to lay their eggs. Also the eggs were thought to be an aphrodisiac. Now people are paid to collect the eggs for hatching. They will explain all this and show you the tanks. Then comes the highlight: everyone goes to the beach, a line is drawn in the sand, everyone gets a baby turtle and they are released simultaneously. They know instinctively to go to the water but they are so small. your daughter could follow up by joining one of the conservation organizations. If you google "El Tortugario Cuyutlan" you will find photos.

So you actually booked yours through the cruise line? Just want to double check. Also do you know if the release is at certain times of year and/or times of day? Thanks for your help!

So you actually booked yours through the cruise line? Just want to double check. Also do you know if the release is at certain times of year and/or times of day? Thanks for your help!

Yes, we went on the ship's excursion. I think just one bus load of us. They did the tour and release specially for our group. But I did notice some individuals arriving in cars too. I don't know if they were from the ship or just general tourists. There is a basic welcome center with restrooms and sodas and souvenirs to purchase. I'm sure someone would take you round individually and do a release for some dollars. The center needs the money. There were lots of little babies swimming in the holding tank in mid December.

• 2 weeks later...

I finalized things this morning with Paco at chima tours (do google search). They seem to do more individual family tour. They have Sentra's Suburbans etc. I found out about the company on trip advisor. Good Luck. Hope to see you there!

They are not tour buses. The take small group or family. Some example of the typr of vehicles they have are suburban's and Sentra's. www dot chima tours dot com. I believe the cost was 45/ person for everything

Mmmmmm..... for $45 per person (we have six) maybe it would more economical to hire a taxi or rent a car. Cuyutlan is 30 to 45 minutes south of Manzanillo. Could be a fun road trip.

I think my kids are doing Randi's in Mazatlan with their mom, don't forget the oranges and apples for Randi.

They are not tour buses. The take small group or family. Some example of the typr of vehicles they have are suburban's and Sentra's. www dot chima tours dot com. I believe the cost was 45/ person for everything

I'm on your cruise too, but could not locate the website you listed. Any suggestions?

I sent the turtle people an email a few days ago but haven't heard back from them.

Nicole, did Paco say they were open on Thanksgiving?

He is open that day , we have a tour with him that day, but he may be full by now.

I sent the turtle people an email a few days ago but haven't heard back from them.

He is open that day , we have a tour with him that day, but he may be full by now.

I was not asking if Paco was open, I was asking if El Tortugario was open.

Paul

No he didn't. Honestly I did not even ask because of it being an American Holiday. Let me know what you find out.

No he didn't. Honestly I did not even ask because of it being an American Holiday. Let me know what you find out.

I have not heard from him, I will be booking through RCI instead I guess... Mexico is not thankful of our holiday aside from us being able to travel there during it.

I Believe Thankgiving is a U.S. Holiday exclusively. Mexico celebrates November 20: Mexican Revolution Day,This official Mexican holiday commemorates the Mexican Revolution of 1910. Celebrated this year on Monday, November 16, 2009

Hope this helps

Archived