Cooking classes

sdpoulin1

Go to the front desk or to the Neptune Lounge concierge if you're in a suite with lounge access. I think we found the schedule in our cabin when we first boarded and selected the classes we wanted and went immediately to the front desk. The class size is limited and in the six classes we've taken on three cruises only one wasn't full.

Go to the front desk or to the Neptune Lounge concierge if you're in a suite with lounge access. I think we found the schedule in our cabin when we first boarded and selected the classes we wanted and went immediately to the front desk. The class size is limited and in the six classes we've taken on three cruises only one wasn't full.

Thanks! Do they have the classes listed at the front desk and can you make reservations for the Pinnacle Grill at the front desk as well?? No more questions, I promise.

Both the Front Desk and the Neptune Lounge will have the recipes to be done at each class, and you can choose when registering right there. For Pinnacle reservations go to the Maitre d' station at the PG.

No problem with asking questions!! Fire away! :)

They probably have the cooking class schedule at the front desk though we've found it in our cabin each time so never had to ask for it. We've made our Pinnacle Grill reservations either at the PG or through the concierge so I don't know if you can do that through the front desk. No problem on the questions....that's what we CC'ers do for each other.

The Front Desk seemed utterly perplexed when I signed up for my cooking class in March. I boarded the ship and went straight to the desk. The attendant tried to tell me they did not book classes, then they did book them but not yet. I persisted remembering a thread on this board about how quickly the classes fill. The desk did not (at least she told me) have the recipes available. I flew blind and just picked the date and time which worked for me. Apparently you can also go to the culinary arts center to get the recipes and make the reservations. I'll let you know next week!

On the HAL cruises we have been on, Oosterdam and Veendam, you could not sign up ahead of time, it was first come first serve. I don't think they ever filled up completely but they would usually have a good crowd. The best ones are when they have samples!:D

Kirk

On the HAL cruises we have been on, Oosterdam and Veendam, you could not sign up ahead of time, it was first come first serve. I don't think they ever filled up completely but they would usually have a good crowd. The best ones are when they have samples!:D

Kirk

I think you're talking about the cooking demos, which are free, and welcome all comers. The classes are $29 pp, are limited to 12 people, and nearly always fill up early ... like embarkation day. In the classes, students always get to eat their own cooking, sometimes in the Pinnacle Grill and sometimes just in the CAC.

I too was looking forward to taking a cooking class when we cruised to Alaska on the Volendam, however when I looked at the intinerary, the classes were scheduled during the most scenic sections of the trip! I wasn't about to miss seeing Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm but I was disappointed that the lessons weren't scheduled with a bit more thought about the itinerary. I did take in a cooking demo during one of the sea days.

Look into signing up as soon as possible, but do keep an eye on the what else is going on and prioritize what you really want to do.

Hope this helps,

N.

I just returned from a 31 day cruise on the Volendam- actually two cruises, Seattle to Kobe, Japan, and the second from Kobe to Hong Kong. I attended eight of the ten cooking classes. None of them were fully filled- they varied from 7 to 11 in each. I would have taken the other two classes offered, but they conflicted with things like Mariner's lunches or the same menu as a class I taken on another ship. They are a lot of fun, and well worth the minimal $29 fee. I came home with a two inch stack of recipes from the cooking class and the free demos. There was at least one demo scheduled every day. Ashley, the "party planner," who oversees the Culinary Center, did a marvelous job.

I just returned from a 31 day cruise on the Volendam- actually two cruises, Seattle to Kobe, Japan, and the second from Kobe to Hong Kong. I attended eight of the ten cooking classes. None of them were fully filled- they varied from 7 to 11 in each. I would have taken the other two classes offered, but they conflicted with things like Mariner's lunches or the same menu as a class I taken on another ship. They are a lot of fun, and well worth the minimal $29 fee. I came home with a two inch stack of recipes from the cooking class and the free demos. There was at least one demo scheduled every day. Ashley, the "party planner," who oversees the Culinary Center, did a marvelous job.

You were on a B2B as I will be next year.

Can you tell me 2 things

1. Did they repeat the recipes the second cruise? If not were you able to get info about the recipes for the 2nd while on the 1st cruise?

2. Could you book classes for the second cruise while on the first.

I am on the Eurodam on the Dec 19 sailing, and thought that I would just try calling Ship Services as I had such great luck with them with booking Hydro Pool/Thermal Suite for the cruise. Anyways, I was able to reserve a place in a cooking class, which means I will get a cooking class, just don't know which one yet. I had to prepay the $29, and was told there will be a card in my stateroom with instructions on how to book the class.

We had an issue with the cooking classes on our Eurodam Cruise last week,

We went to the front desk as soon as we got on the ship (We were there by 11:40 and Embarkation began at 11:30).

We ended up being put on the "waiting list" instead of being registered for the by the Front Desk attendant. After missing the class the Front Desk Supervisor did a bit of "On the spot re-training" with the attendant who made the error...But try to be sure you actually get in the class! Ask 2 or 3 times to confirm!

Anyways, I was able to reserve a place in a cooking class, which means I will get a cooking class, just don't know which one yet.
Well, THAT'S new!! :eek: So in the future maybe we can look forward to having them filled before we even get on board! :eek:

Well, THAT'S new!! :eek: So in the future maybe we can look forward to having them filled before we even get on board! :eek:

It would be great if you could book them like you do shore excursions!... to me it's just as much about scheduling conflicts as it is the menu...

Archived