Table Manners

I just read a review of an rccl cruise in the med. the poster was commenting on how terrible the other diners table manners were and how wierdly they held their forks and knives. I guess the poster didnt realize that they were probably europeans and they do hold their silverware differently than we do.

Just off the Explorer and some cruisers do need to learn table manners.

We sat with a nice couple at an 8 seat table by the window. But next to us the group was loud and demanding. As we shared the same waiters we just waited our turn and ordered. The man at the next table would yell over to the waiter while he was taking our order if he needed anything. One child at the table who was standing on the chair screaming and singing. It was loud at times and the waiter would apologize for the interuptions but it wasn't his fault. The more beer the other table drank the louder and more demanding it became.

I don't care what fork or knife they use but common courtesy would have been nice.

I just read a review of an rccl cruise in the med. the poster was commenting on how terrible the other diners table manners were and how wierdly they held their forks and knives. I guess the poster didnt realize that they were probably europeans and they do hold their silverware differently than we do.

Perhaps the poster was European and commenting on how weirdly Americans hold their utensils? :rolleyes: Either way, does it really matter?

Just off the Explorer and some cruisers do need to learn table manners.

We sat with a nice couple at an 8 seat table by the window. But next to us the group was loud and demanding. As we shared the same waiters we just waited our turn and ordered. The man at the next table would yell over to the waiter while he was taking our order if he needed anything. One child at the table who was standing on the chair screaming and singing. It was loud at times and the waiter would apologize for the interuptions but it wasn't his fault. The more beer the other table drank the louder and more demanding it became.

I don't care what fork or knife they use but common courtesy would have been nice.

The key word being "common".:eek:

Bad manners IMO is not how one holds their knife and fork. Although I am not British, I hold my fork in what Americans would think is an upside down position in my left hand with my knife in my right hand. Granted it isn't what you'd normally see in a US restaurant. I would think anyone who considers it to be "weird" is someone who hasn't travelled a lot. It's all about education.

2P.P1

I guess the poster didnt realize that they were probably europeans and they do hold their silverware differently than we do.

Personally, we have never had anything but compliments about the way we use a knife and fork when we eat. It has always seemed a far more efficient way than cutting everything up and then using the fork as a shovel.:D

Personally, we have never had anything but compliments about the way we use a knife and fork when we eat. It has always seemed a far more efficient way than cutting everything up and then using the fork as a shovel.:D

Bond... you must be a cutlery connoisseur!!! :D Do you actually get compliments on your flatware magic?

Bond... you must be a cutlery connoisseur!!! :D Do you actually get compliments on your flatware magic?

:D One of the funniest posts I've seen in a long time... LOL ! LOL ! I will definitely be looking for jBond and their talents Headlining in the MDR on every cruise we take from now on....:p:p

:D One of the funniest posts I've seen in a long time... LOL ! LOL ! I will definitely be looking for jBond and their talents Headlining in the MDR on every cruise we take from now on....:p:p

UPDATE: I understand the cruise director's staff will be now be passing through the dining rooms and passing out key chains to those who display proficiency in using their utensils. :D Sorry... couldn't resist.

Having grown up in a family with a father who worked for a European company, I have become used to using a knife and fork in the European style. Some people look at me odd at first, but I don't care. I actually believe it is more refined than the American style, and it is easier to use it that way! I am always surprised that people still don't know what the European style. With all the Travel Channel hosts and Food Network chefs using the European style, you would think it would not be such a big deal when people see someone using their utensils that way!

Man I must be totally ignorant of everthing around me. I've said on clothing threads I never notice what anyone else is wearing and I know I have never noticed how anyone holds their silverware. Didn't even know there was a European style. I guess I'll have to quit looking at my wife and pay attention to everyone else. I'm sure people have complained about my use of silverware due to the sparks flying.

Man I must be totally ignorant of everthing around me. I've said on clothing threads I never notice what anyone else is wearing and I know I have never noticed how anyone holds their silverware. Didn't even know there was a European style. I guess I'll have to quit looking at my wife and pay attention to everyone else. I'm sure people have complained about my use of silverware due to the sparks flying.

Dude... get with the program! It's not about your experience... it's about everyone else's experience! And YOU need to be concerned about it!!! :D:D

Dude... get with the program! It's not about your experience... it's about everyone else's experience! And YOU need to be concerned about it!!! :D:D

I know it now. Man I am really screwing up, there must be some real joy in worrying about what everyone else is doing. :D:D

I'm lefthanded, so I guess I've always eaten in the European style, LOL.

As for table manners, as long as food doesn't come flying my way from somebody's mouth and I can understand them because they've swallowed before speaking, then I'm not likely to notice how they eat. If they're being rude and obnoxious to the waitstaff I'll notice that, but would also bet that they're rude and obnoxious to anybody else on the ship in a service position and chalk it up to their being jerks.

Now here's another twist. Not saying it's more refined or not, just the way I was raised - I'm American. In my family, it was ill mannered to eat like you were shoveling your food. The way my parents, grandparents, etc. defined it, was after using the knife & fork to cut something, the knife was placed down, the fork brings the food to the mouth, & then the fork is put down while the food is chewed. You'd be surprised how much slower you eat, which is actually good for digestion & according to some dietary "experts", helps to prevent overeating. :cool:

Now here's another twist. Not saying it's more refined or not, just the way I was raised - I'm American. In my family, it was ill mannered to eat like you were shoveling your food. The way my parents, grandparents, etc. defined it, was after using the knife & fork to cut something, the knife was placed down, the fork brings the food to the mouth, & then the fork is put down while the food is chewed. You'd be surprised how much slower you eat, which is actually good for digestion & according to some dietary "experts", helps to prevent overeating. :cool:

Wow, your right, I remember my ole man reaching across the table slapping the fork out of your hands if we did follow those rules. If you did it twice the next slap was across the face and told to go to your room.

Now everybody is in a rush. By the way I'm over weight now. :D

Bad manners IMO is not how one holds their knife and fork. Although I am not British, I hold my fork in what Americans would think is an upside down position in my left hand with my knife in my right hand. Granted it isn't what you'd normally see in a US restaurant. I would think anyone who considers it to be "weird" is someone who hasn't travelled a lot. It's all about education.

2P.P1

Hi there friend:

I seem to remember your opinion about guys who wear caps in the dining room :rolleyes:. Hope all is well with you and you know who.

Rick

Archived