Proper daytime attire

Tottwo

Hi,

My husband and I are planning our first cruise and we're considering Celebrity. We'll be doing a Caribbean cruise over Thanksgiving next year.

We are unclear of the dress policy. The brochure states 'casual shipboard attire or daywear' during the day but does not mention shorts. Does this mean people do not wear shorts on the ship while at sea? Will my husband and I look out of place if we wear nice looking shorts?

If shorts are definately out of place, do woman wear capris?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

During the day on the ship you'll see lots of shorts and t-shirts, swimsuits, swimsuit coverups, sun dresses, workout gear, all the way up to older couples in slacks and collared shirts. It's very casual. The only time you need to worry about dress during the day is if you eat in the dining room where you can't wear swimsuits or coverups, and in the buffet where you can't wear swimsuits. And it's generally suggested that you don't wear a wet swimsuit into the buffet area.

You'll see women in capris in the day and the evening, and in the dining room on non-formal evenings also.

Hope this helps, and have fun planning your cruise! :)

Hi,

My husband and I are planning our first cruise and we're considering Celebrity. We'll be doing a Caribbean cruise over Thanksgiving next year.

We are unclear of the dress policy. The brochure states 'casual shipboard attire or daywear' during the day but does not mention shorts. Does this mean people do not wear shorts on the ship while at sea? Will my husband and I look out of place if we wear nice looking shorts?

If shorts are definately out of place, do woman wear capris?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Yes, shorts are fine for daywear. I wear them as do a lot of people. Welcome and enjoy your cruise, and be ready to become a cruise-addict like so many of us.

Denny

Janine, Denny,

Thank you so much for your replies! You have eased my mind. Now I can move forward with working through the rest of the cruise details and getting really excited about the cruise.

Thanks for the welcome to Cruise Critic. There's so much great information here - I could spend hours going through it all.

Many thanks!

If you need more fashion advice, I'd advise checking out the "Fashions & Beauty" Board; altho it's not Celebrity specific, there's great discussions/advice there on cruise attire in general - even heads up on sales!

Since I'm starting to get my wardrobe together, I think I'll head over there myself!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Shorts are definitely okay...

I generally wear cargo shorts (over the knee) and either T-Shirts or Golf shirts all day onboard the ship and in port...

For dinner, I change to long pants--Dockers--and a nice buttoned, collared sports shirt for casual nights and go to the tux for formal nights...

The one place to be a little aware of rules is the dining room...at breakfast or lunch you can wear shorts, t-shirts, etc....but you will be turned away in bathing suits or tank tops or sleeveless "muscle shirts"...

For formal nights, either a tux or a dark suit or appropriate "Dinner jacket" will do...

I usually bring my own tux except for Europe --where luggage weight restrictions and space limitations cause me to rent a tux through cruise line formalwear--very convenient...

Have fun...

Daytime activities on the cruise ship are the most varied and you'll see the biggest variation in dress in the daytime. From swimsuits and sweaty workout clothes, to people dressed up for tea, lectures or special events. The majority of the people are dressed very casually.

I very seldom wear long pants during the day. Usually only if we're going to a special event like the elegant tea or if we've put on evening casual clothing early for some reason.

Thanks to everyone! And thanks for the link to the 'Fashions/Beauty' board.

All your responses have helped us plan what to pack and feel more comfortable with how we like to dress on a warm weather vacation.

Best regards!

Archived