Do those packing compression bags work?

heidik

The only thing I think the compression bags are good for when packing suitcases, is getting more in them than there should be weight-wise. They would also keep everything safe from water.

Everyone has their own way of packing, and sometimes you just have to try a few methods to find out what works best for you. Personally, I roll most clothing. Stuff socks into shoes, etc. I usually pack mostly cotton clothing, and take an empty spray bottle with me. I fill it with water once I arrive at my destination and spritz what has a little bit of wrinkling, shake and hang. I don't like the Downey wrinkle release for the frangrance and that it could spill in your luggage, but many love it. The key for me is choosing a suitcase that isn't too big because that will allow more wrinkles. I have ordered some packing cubes, to help compartmentalize some things so I'll see how that works. Ziplocs work well for many small items.

Ziplocs work great. Keep in mind the more you put in the suitcase, the more it will weigh. Duh..... :)

With most airlines restricting to 50 pounds, be careful or you could get caught with a hefty overweight charge.

It costs less to take an additional bag than to have a bag that is overweight.

I've only used the compression bags for bulky items. I had never thought that they would eliminate wrinkles, but rather cause them. Wrinkles are caused by too much compression or items being able to shift and settle.

My method for eliminating wrinkles is the opposite, pack with dry cleaner bags. The item in the dry cleaner bag has a cushion of air around it and packing snuggly enough so nothing moves around. This method works great for us.

We use the 2 gal zip-locks & extra-large zip-lock and special zip bags you can buy in the luggage dept. This makes unpacking fast and easy. We unpack in a matter of minutes because of the bags which keeps the clothes from wrinkles. Wouldn't tavel any other way.

Compression bags definetly cause more wrinkles than they prevent. I use packing cubes, rolling some clothes. Small stuff gets put in a mesh ditty bag. Pants and shirts get layered on top of the cubes. Using an airline carry-on size convertable bag is the best way to limit how much I try to carry. Light and fast is the only way to travel.

If the objective is to get more items into a suitcase, the "bags" can work, depending on what you are compressing. For sweaters, fleece and garments with "air" in them, yes. For something like a silk blouse, no.

Even with that, I would not recommend the "roll and squeeze" type of bag. Better to get those that use a vacuum to remove the air from the bag. When packing on the ship, arrange with your stewardess to borrow her vacuum to remove the air for the return trip. Easily done, as the vacuums on almost all ships are the canister type you use.

I have used the bags when returning from Chile/Peru with new sweaters and from Alaska/Greenland when I wanted to compress down fleece and sweaters. Used vacuum bags and they were great.

Note, this does NOT make the items lighter. You end up with a dense "brick" of clothes. And it most assuredly does not prevent wrinkles - in fact, it creates them.

Best wrinkle prevention I have found -- Eagle Creek Pack-It folders. Fold to the board included, tighten down the velcro flaps, and you will get an optimum method for shirts/blouses and the like. The clothes don't move/shift, so you're far less likely to get wrinkles. Both myself and Mrs FT swear by them. Use multiple folders so you're not putting too much into any one.

Using zip-lock or other plastic bags just provides for containerization. They do not prevent the movement that is the cause of the wrinkling. If someone gets anti-wrinkle effects, it's likely because the items are wedged so that they can't move, not because of the bag.

This advice from a very frequent flyer.

Thank you! I like the idea of the folders and the cubes -- for the cubes, are you supposed to roll your items and then place them in the cube? I've never packed this way and am wondering what is the best method for the least wrinkles (I am a female and will be packing alot of clothes that would ordinarily wrinkle.....).

I have the compression bags that you roll the air out of. I only use them for my return home. I always need more room for souvenirs to go home. I dont care if things get wrinkled then. They do create a lot of extra room for the return home.

My next cruise is this coming January and we (6 women) are only taking a carry-on for our luggage. We will all carry a large tote with underwear etc as our personnal item on the plane. This will be a first for all of us. But we are determined to NOT pay for luggage.

Wise choices of apparel is crucial. Its a first for all of us, so we will see how it works.

I ended up ordering the packing cubes and envelopes.......I'm still wondering, though, if rolling clothes reduces wrinkles and makes more room in the suitcase?

If you ordered the Eagle Creek, there should be a diagram showing you how to pack. I do it a bit different with the folders, I do use the board, but I fold the shirts as one, not each one individually. I place something in the center, such as a cube with underwear, or just a short pile of underwear, to decreas the crease on the top shirt.

Also, you don't need a lot of cubes and folders, they can add weight. Just one or two per suitcase of the folders, same with the cubes.

The thing I like best about them is the organization and the fact that if your bag is chosen for inspection, you don't have a security agent pawing through your things.

Archived