Steak Anytime?

Classiccruiser777

Hi and thanks for your reply in advance.

We are going to be dining in the Britannia Restaurant on our upcoming cruise. I read a brief comment on another posting that stated that if you were not satisfied with the menu that you could always order a steak (or chicken) and the staff would gladly provide you your wish with no fuss. Has anyone found this to be true?

To avoid seeming picky at the table, what kind of steak & is it a good cut & usually cooked as ordered? I asked because we have found steak to be inferior on the other cruiselines we have sailed - all mass market lines, & we order our steaks 'medium' & have never gotten one that was not dry & cooked thru, rather than pink in the middle.

Thanks

What I do is order the following day's menus to be delivered to my cabin the evening before.

Upon retiring, I look through the menu, and, if I decide that there is nothing there to take my fancy, I have a word with the Maitre De at lunch time, and pre-order a steak. I am often asked, what type of steak I would like, how it should be done, and what vegetables I would like with it.

This means that at the table, my steak will be delivered at the same time as the other meals, and therefore will not slow up the proceedings.

You can order a steak when you are asked what you would like by your waiter, but, that might mean a bit of a wait before it gets delivered.

Mark in London, waiting for the Carnival Dream in December and the NCL Epic next July.

What I do is order the following day's menus to be delivered to my cabin the evening before.

Upon retiring, I look through the menu, and, if I decide that there is nothing there to take my fancy, I have a word with the Maitre De at lunch time, and pre-order a steak. I am often asked, what type of steak I would like, how it should be done, and what vegetables I would like with it.

This means that at the table, my steak will be delivered at the same time as the other meals, and therefore will not slow up the proceedings.

You can order a steak when you are asked what you would like by your waiter, but, that might mean a bit of a wait before it gets delivered.

Mark in London, waiting for the Carnival Dream in December and the NCL Epic next July.

I agree. Best to pre order through Maitre D. You can ask for other items "off menu" as well. For example, I had surf ( lobster tail) and turf ( fillet steak) one evening with no probs. It pays to get to know the Maitre D and if you do get good service it would be polite to give him " a little something" at the end of the cruise.icon12.gif

May I ask if you were dining in the Britannia dining room? I know that it is different in the Grills. Cunard do NOT put any alternatives on the menu in the Britannia, and I cannot say that I have ever been "brave enough" to ask if I could have something else.

As I am going on the 17th I would really appreciate knowing how to obtain an "alternative" in that dining room.

Also, do you think I will be successful requesting a menu to be left in the room each night for the next day? Again not something I have tried, especially as I have an inside "3rd class cabin" !!!1

Lynn

May I ask if you were dining in the Britannia dining room? I know that it is different in the Grills. Cunard do NOT put any alternatives on the menu in the Britannia, and I cannot say that I have ever been "brave enough" to ask if I could have something else.

As I am going on the 17th I would really appreciate knowing how to obtain an "alternative" in that dining room.

Also, do you think I will be successful requesting a menu to be left in the room each night for the next day? Again not something I have tried, especially as I have an inside "3rd class cabin" !!!1

Lynn

Hi

Be brave, just ask the Maitre D in Brittania - politely of course! We have usually found them to be helpful. And if he is, a small "consideration" at the end of the cruise might be appropriate.

Lynn

You are correct that Cunard does not put "always available" items on their menu. However, you just need to ask your waiter.

In The Britannia Dining Room, we always ask our waiter on the first or second night about always available items. We are always told that steak, chicken and salmon are always available. We have asked for shrimp cocktail and been told that we could order for the next night, which we did. On our recent cruise, some of our table mates ordered additional vegetables without a problem. You can also order a baked potato if you like.

Enjoy your cruise, Lynn.

Beth

I think Cunard should add "always available" items to their menus, as is the practice on most lines. Many passengers may be too timid to ask for another selection, if they don't see something to their liking, and leave, disappointed and sometimes waste food, ordering something, they really don't want.

Pre-ordering is a good idea. On most lines, if you ask for something that is not listed (except for 'always available'), it creates a problem for wait staff, and delays the serving.

For me, the exception to this was on Celebrity, where the waiters were more than happy to take orders for anything, with no problem.

Lynn

Yes, I was most definately in the Britannia dining room. I usually travel in a single-occupancy inside 4th class cabin. [it is often so low down in the ship that I often feel that I am sharing it with one of the stokers!].

As for obtaining the next day's menu the evening before - on the QE2 that was absolutely no problem. On my recent QM2 back to back TAs, asking for it was no problem, they readily agreed to it. The only problem seemed to be the 'postal delivery system'. I received them about 75% of the time. You need to ask your waiter (at your fist meal), and he/she will sort it out for you.

Do enjoy your trip on the 17th.

In 1 month and 1 day, I shall be 'experiencing' Carnival for the first time after 14 years of loyalty with Cunard. Am I mad? I am saddened that Cunard don't appear to be enticing single people onto their ships. They are just too expensive (in my humble opinion) to sail as a single occupier. Sadly, I am not one of the people who have just won a share of £90m on the Lottery!

Mark, in a cold London, waiting for the (Carnival) Dream to come true.

I think Cunard should add "always available" items to their menus, as is the practice on most lines. Many passengers may be too timid to ask for another selection, if they don't see something to their liking, and leave, disappointed and sometimes waste food, ordering something, they really don't want.

Pre-ordering is a good idea. On most lines, if you ask for something that is not listed (except for 'always available'), it creates a problem for wait staff, and delays the serving.

For me, the exception to this was on Celebrity, where the waiters were more than happy to take orders for anything, with no problem.

Bob, I agree with you about Celebrity. I also found this to be true on Princess--I was on my first Princess cruise last week and they were more than accomodating for special requests.

It is slight overkill to address these matters to the Maitre D'. If you speak to the head waiter in your section he will arrange it and also won't feel as though you have gone over his head. They are the people that ensure the smooth running of the meals and the Maitre D' would address the problem to him to deal with. I think there are 8 of them and they normally wear dark brownish suits. He will bring you tomorrows menus each evening if you wish and arrange for a Grilled Sole perhaps. Very useful people and always worth a note or two.

But some are more equal than others.

I thought the "important people" were those other than the "self-important people.":eek:

A legend in their own mind, you'll quickly get to know them!

The Maitre D' is especially helpful if you find that for whatever reason, including the people discussed above, you require a table change.

As has been mentioned, a little "Mordita" is always appreciated.

Archived