Choosing Ship or Ports Visited

I have a dilemna. We have just gotten enough points to get a free Caribbean cruise for 2. I am torn between Oasis (new ship but I have done this itinerary) or Adventure ( older ship but new itinerary).

Just wondering how others choose. BTW, after all is said and done, the cruises are only about $100 apart in total additional costs. Any thoughts? I am leaning toward the new ship, old itinerary just to say I went on this ship.

Adventure is in great shape, despite the age!

Realize that on Oasis, you're going to spend alot more money than you would on Adventure, just because there are so many "pay" venues that Adv. doesn't have!

For us, the SHIP is the thing....you don't really spend enough time at any given port to sail for that reason, IMO!

Is there a list somewhere of all the "pay" venues. I know that Johnny Rockets and some of the restaurants are pay. I hope not the entertainment and other food (besides the cupcakes). I would like to get away with spending very little extra money( yeh right). Thanks for your reply

I always book a cruise based on the ports. I view the ship as a hotel and transportation so ship age doesn't really mean too much to me. However, I understand that other people view the ship as their destination and prefer to try a new ship rather than a new itinerary.

The only reason I could think of going with Oasis is to have "bragging rights" to having been on the newest and biggest ship. And to me that has never been important. I go for itinerary, price, and cruise line. As for Oasis, I will never go on it because flying coast to coast for a 7day cruise to just some Caribbean islands make no sense to me when I add in the RT airfare and one or two nights pre-cruise hotel.:)

I have no interest in the Oasis whatsoever. I think is just too big. The Adventure is a beautiful ship. She was just in dry dock this past spring. The southern Caribbean itineraries are fabulous. I would definitely pass on the Oasis and choose one of the southern itineraries on Adventure.

It really does boil down to what's more important to you - ship or itinerary. I have never been on the AOS, but would love to, mainly because I think it has a pretty decent itinerary. That said, I am booked on the Dec 12th Oasis sailing, but the itinerary IMO is not great at all. I actually think that if I were in your shoes and had a free cruise, I'd want to get the most bang for my buck and I think you'll probably get that on AOS, although you do have the airfare to SJU to consider.

I have a dilemna. We have just gotten enough points to get a free Caribbean cruise for 2. I am torn between Oasis (new ship but I have done this itinerary) or Adventure ( older ship but new itinerary).

Just wondering how others choose. BTW, after all is said and done, the cruises are only about $100 apart in total additional costs. Any thoughts? I am leaning toward the new ship, old itinerary just to say I went on this ship.

Normally, we sail for the ports. However we are sailing Oasis for the ship. Unless Oasis just absolutely overwhelms us it will be the only time we sail Oasis as we have no intention of sailing the Caribbean again anywhere in the near future.

I usually try to find a ship that goes where I want to go and book accordingly. However, like dougp, I'm done with the Caribbean. However, if I was heading to the Caribbean, I'd take the Oasis just to see what it's like. And, I'd probably never get off the ship

Let us know which one you choose! (And congrats on the free cruise. Sweet!!!)

DH and I are "port" people. We have no real interest in the Oasis. Sometimes too big is too much! So far,we haved sailed on Adventure, Rhapsody, Idependence, Freedom and are booked on the Serenade in Jan 2010. The Freedom class is beautiful but the warm, friendly atmosphere is somewhat lost in all that space... However, any time that you are on a ship is priceless! Whatever decision you make will still give you an awesome vacation!

I too choose ports over ship.. I've been on AOS & it's one of my favorite cruises to date... but even if Oasis WAS going somewhere I hadn't been, I don't think I would book it..it's just to big for my taste..maybe someday..when all the hype has worn off..but not for a long time I think...

my family first alwyas looks what sails are available in our limited space we have.. we then look and limit down the ports.. still this point not even looking at the ship. The ship really has no say even though we are a family with kids. We sail for ports.. Although oasis has new features the AOS still has great features sail always for ports

Archived