Christmas on the Island Princess

lookin4moresun

We have two daughters, ages 9 and 12, and wondering about Christmas festivities. I plan on bringing some decorations for the door and some stockings, maybe some little lights for the cabin. But what about Christmas dinner, Santa visit, church services, etc.?

JoAnn

We were on the Island for the holiday cruise back in 2005-06, going to Hawaii. The ship was decorated to the hilt (the Christmas decorations were up when we boarded on the 22nd and taken down the 26th).

There were arts and crafts for Christmas and Hanukkah in the kids' program. Our girl brought home several projects. There was a party in the Wheelhouse Bar for the kids on the 25th with bridge announcements made on the PA about a "special visitor" spotted in the skies over head.

A priest, reverend, and rabbi were all onboard to give services. We went to the first night of the menorah lighting in the Universe Lounge, and there were tons of passengers there; many had brought their menorahs with them to be lit (can't have candles in the cabin). We didn't bring ours, but instead put up a foam sticker one up in our cabin.

Many people put decorations on their cabin door: wreathes, giant bows, etc. Just don't go crazy, and don't put up anything that you can risk being stolen (didn't hear anyone on our sailing complain about this, but you never know).

The 24th and 31st were both formal dinners for us, with special menus and place settings (including "crackers" on Christmas Eve).

Santa will come Christmas morning with presents for the kids. When we were on the Emerald Princess, we even had snow in the atrium. The dancers/show did a special show right before Santa arrived.

There are also Catholic and Protestant services for those who like a midnight service on Christmas Eve.

We have done one Christmas cruise on the old Crown Princess. Since our kids were grown and not there we were a little sad at Christmas eve and day but still had a great time.

With your whole family there you will have a wonderful time. Bring all your presents it will be no different from home but you will be on a marvelous ship. A ship that inspite of all the 3rd and 4th births full will still not be overly crowded. They will have special events for the kids and more than likely there will be plenty of kids.

thrilled to know more girls will be on the ship, my neice is 8

My daughter Rachel is 9 and I hope will enjoy the activities in the kid's programs. She likes making crafts, so I think she will. Other daughter Stephanie, 12, will most likely be a bit lost at first without her hometown BFFs and her cell.

JoAnn

Bring all your presents it will be no different from home but you will be on a marvelous ship.

That is definitely risky to do if you're flying into port. I would not suggest it. If you do still bring presents, make sure they are not wrapped or they will not pass security at the airport.

OP, if you haven't done so already, join your Roll Call. It's a great chance to get acquainted with others on your sailing ahead of time. It especially helps when you have kids. :)

Archived