What is ANYTIME dining like?

pseudochicken

My GF and I are booked on the Ryndam for Jan 3 and we are wondering what anytime dining is like. We would prefer dining for two, if that is possible. What time should we show up? What times are we allowed to show up for dinner? Do we reserve a table and time ahead each day or do we just show up? What kind of wait should we expect?

We're both used to assigned seating however those selections were not available since we booked the cruise recently.

Essentially, I just would like to know what to exepct. Thank you in advance!:)

It's like going to a land restaurant. The earliest you can go is 5:15, and I don't know what is the latest. Maybe 8:30? If you show up at a peak time (6:45 to 7:30) and want a table for two you'll have to wait. If you show up before 5:45 or so you can easily get a 2-top. You can call in the morning and make a reservation for a 2-top, but not for a peak time. (I've heard you can reserve for two days at a time, but we never did that.) After three days of "pot luck" we decided what table and waiter team we liked best, and called each morning to reserve what we wanted ... always a 2-top.

My GF and I are booked on the Ryndam for Jan 3 and we are wondering what anytime dining is like. We would prefer dining for two, if that is possible. What time should we show up? What times are we allowed to show up for dinner? Do we reserve a table and time ahead each day or do we just show up? What kind of wait should we expect?

We're both used to assigned seating however those selections were not available since we booked the cruise recently.

Essentially, I just would like to know what to exepct. Thank you in advance!:)

We had open seating on the Zuiderdam for our 24 day Med cruise in Sept. 08. We were able to get a table for two most nights. We made reservations for the same table, same diining steward for the entire cruise.

It worked for us but I will tell you that the dining room is a lot busier and people are coming in during the entire time. In fixed seating there is a quiet elegance and calmness in the dining room that one does not experience with open seating. We had a very good dining steward and were glad that we were able to get a standing reservation with him. I don't know how pleased I would have been if I just walked in every night. We actually did that twice and both times were unhappy with the service.

I would make a reservation. They will give you a number to call. If you can make a standing reservation, I would do so.

Terri

If you go to http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/lowerlevelSclass.jpg and save that image so that you can view and zoom in on it, you can make a list of 2-tops to ask for when you call. The top of the picture is the stern, with the windows, and the bottom is the entrance.

I should add that our only experience so far with Open seating was on the Noordam, and it could be different on the Ryndam with respect to the peak times, etc.

Last January we were on the Noordam. It was our first time with anytime dining. We were told we could make a reservation as long as it was for an early dining time. No reservations after 6. We could make it a standing reservation for every night. We went the first night at 5:45 and loved our waiters, so we went every night at that time.

I have done open dining 2x on the Ryndam and loved it. It is very convenient, as we could see what was in store for the day and make our dinner reservation based on what time we would be back on the ship or finished a certain activity. As was mentioned above it is a bit tough to get a table for 2 during peak time, but we had no trouble requesting a certain table and waiter after we found one we really liked!! The Ryndam is a beautiful ship... enjoy!!

Thank you, all, for giving your advice and experience in regards to anytime dining. I am so beyond excited for this cruise. I think the timing in early January makes it particularly nice since it will extend the holiday season for us, giving me something quite extravagant to look forward to throughout.

I have another question:

Are there separate dining rooms for the anytime dining vs set-time dining?

Thanks again!

Are there separate dining rooms for the anytime dining vs set-time dining?
Yes - the traditional/fixed is on the Upper level, and Open is on the lower. That's why I only gave you the link for the Lower DR plans a few posts back. :)

Archived