cruise credit for price drop

angel 77

I am cruising on the Sky soon, and the price has decreased a bit from what we paid. When I called, they said that they could not up grade to an ocean view b/c there were no cabins left, and they could not give us a cruise credit for an amount less than $100. Is this correct? Has anyone had any experience with this? Any advice?

I am cruising on the Sky soon, and the price has decreased a bit from what we paid. When I called, they said that they could not up grade to an ocean view b/c there were no cabins left, and they could not give us a cruise credit for an amount less than $100. Is this correct? Has anyone had any experience with this? Any advice?

How much did the price drop? If it is $100.00 or less then take the OBC. If you were still in the pre final payment stage they would only drop your final payment by what the difference is.

EDIT: I just re-read and realized you said they could NOT give you a credit for under a hundred bucks, sorry for me not reading correctly.

When I booked my TA told me NCL has no price drop protection program. No OBC would be offered if price drops. I was okay with that as I got an aft AF cabin I really wanted. If you are able to get OBC from them then I say take it in a heartbeat.

When I booked my TA told me NCL has no price drop protection program.

That's really only true about price drops following final payment. You can pretty much always get the price drops before final payment, although sometimes it might affect any OBC promotion that you might have gotten originally.

That's really only true about price drops following final payment. You can pretty much always get the price drops before final payment, although sometimes it might affect any OBC promotion that you might have gotten originally.

Yes , but it looks like the OP is sailing on the 9th in a few days...so sorry no OBC or refund.

The same thing just happened to me. I'm cruising on the Jewel on Dec. 13 and the price dropped $60pp on my inside cabin. I called NCL and the lady said since I already paid there is nothing I can do. I asked for an OBC and she said they don't do that.

My last NCL I got an OBC for no reason, and now they won't play ball? Any tips to get something out of this?

The same thing just happened to me. I'm cruising on the Jewel on Dec. 13 and the price dropped $60pp on my inside cabin. I called NCL and the lady said since I already paid there is nothing I can do. I asked for an OBC and she said they don't do that.

My last NCL I got an OBC for no reason, and now they won't play ball? Any tips to get something out of this?

I doubt you got an OBC for no reason...either NCL or your TA had a promotion that included an OBC or it was a bon voyage gift from your TA. Also there are sometimes OBC promotions if you pay with a particular credit card.

In any case, about the only thing you can do here is ask for an upgrade. You may not get that either if there aren't cabins available.

When I booked my TA told me NCL has no price drop protection program. No OBC would be offered if price drops. I was okay with that as I got an aft AF cabin I really wanted. If you are able to get OBC from them then I say take it in a heartbeat.

As another poster said if prior to final payment usually no problem but your TA telling you that NCL doesn't do it is probably because their commission would drop.

Why should anybody get anything after final payment? At that time it should be a done deal. Enjoy your cruise.

So we shouldn't pay our bills until the last minute?

Those of us that pay upfront save the cruise lines money! Are you suggesting that we should be penalized?

Those of us that pay upfront save the cruise lines money! Are you suggesting that we should be penalized?

That's one way of looking at it and many do. There is no need to pay in full before the date for final payment. But if you do pay it in full early you can still take advantage of price drops if it is adventageous to do so (which it isn't always). After the final payment due date for a cruise NCL (like other lines) sometimes reduces prices in order to fill an itinerary and these price drops are for new bookings only. So you reserve early at full price, get the exact cabin you wish and hope for a price drop or you wait until the last minute and hope the good cabins are left.

That's one way of looking at it and many do. There is no need to pay in full before the date for final payment. But if you do pay it in full early you can still take advantage of price drops if it is adventageous to do so (which it isn't always). After the final payment due date for a cruise NCL (like other lines) sometimes reduces prices in order to fill an itinerary and these price drops are for new bookings only. So you reserve early at full price, get the exact cabin you wish and hope for a price drop or you wait until the last minute and hope the good cabins are left.

Now that, I can agree with.

When we book, we get the exact cabin (suite) that we want, and pay the price asked.

My response was aimed towards those that book the exact cabin or suite that they want, but make payments...if the price for the cruise should drop, those that paid in full should not be penalized over those that drag out their payments.

I do understand that the cruise line hopes to have a full ship, and may (at the last minute) offer discounts to encourage people to book...and I have no truck with that. It is just good business sense.

We have also been the beneficiaries of the "upsell fairy" and received a much higher grade suite for a substantial savings, as it is obviously easier to sell a balcony suite at the last minute than it is an Owners Suite.

Just to clarify, when you make your final payment has no bearing on it. It's the final payment due date.

Example: You and I are going on the same cruise. Final payment is due October 15th. You book your cruise in June, and pay the fulll amount due at the time of booking. I book on the same day but I just give a deposit...I'm going to pay the balance on the final payment due date. On October 10th, prices fall. Since the final payment due date has not passed, I call and they reduce the amount that I owe. You call and they give you a credit back on what you paid. You aren't penalized because you paid early. Keep in mind however that the cruiseline isn't going to contact either of us and let us know. It's up to us to watch prices and contact them if they fall prior to final payment due date.

However, once October 15th passes, neither of us get anything back. :)

CG

Our family is sailing on the Dec 6th Jewel in three cabins and noticed a price drop of about $100 after our final payment. We couldn't get any OBC but were upgraded at no charge from obstructed oceanview (cat G) to either BB or CC (unobstructed oceanview). I just asked NCL for an upgrade and was given one without a problem.

Once you have "closed the deal", meaning the final payment date has passed, all best are off. If you get something, feel real lucky. NCL had to dip into THEIR pocket to give it to you.

OBC is the same as a price reduction. It is less money to them. And less money out of pocket for you.

Not sure why people keep thinking it does not cost them anything.

Archived