HAL Transfers Question.... I think my TA got it wrong.

jomarie10

My mother and I will be taking the Oosterdam 5/30/10 out of Seattle. We booked our flight from LA to Seattle through HAL (without an overnight stay) and that includes our transfers. Mom is in a wheelchair and I asked the TA (since this is my first cruise) specifically if the transfer meant that once we checked luggage in at LAX would we be responsible for collecting our checked baggage at SeaTac or would it be taken by the transfer people directly to the ship? She assured me that I wouldn't have to juggle the checked bags. But doing a search here leads me to believe the TA had it wrong and that we (me) will have to get it to the bus. Can anyone give me an idea of how much help the transfer people may be? I just dread the idea of trying to move Mom in the chair, two checked bags and two carry on bags at the same time.:eek: Grace is not my first or middle name. It could get UGLY.

The only time we sailed out of Seattle 7 years ago we had to get our own bags to the bus. IF it is still that way, you simply hire a porter to do it for you. :) (The only time we ever had HAL employees take our bags from baggage claim to a bus was in Copenhagen.)

Aside: if you want your Countdown Clock to work you MUST use Internet Explorer to create the string that you paste into your signature. Then you can go back to using Firefox. :)

My mother and I will be taking the Oosterdam 5/30/10 out of Seattle. We booked our flight from LA to Seattle through HAL (without an overnight stay) and that includes our transfers. Mom is in a wheelchair and I asked the TA (since this is my first cruise) specifically if the transfer meant that once we checked luggage in at LAX would we be responsible for collecting our checked baggage at SeaTac or would it be taken by the transfer people directly to the ship? She assured me that I wouldn't have to juggle the checked bags. But doing a search here leads me to believe the TA had it wrong and that we (me) will have to get it to the bus. Can anyone give me an idea of how much help the transfer people may be? I just dread the idea of trying to move Mom in the chair, two checked bags and two carry on bags at the same time.:eek: Grace is not my first or middle name. It could get UGLY.

Contact the airport beforehand and book mobility assistance. That is what we did. We were not in Seattle but I think most airports have this available and it should be free. Worth checking it out at least.

Hi jomarie10,

I am also in a wheelchair when we travel. I have done the SeaTac transfers twice now in the last 2 years and the same experience at all airports we've traveled to is the same.

A. When you check in at your beginning airport, make sure that whoever checks in your luggage know that you need assistance at every stop, to include your final destination (in your case SeaTac)

B. Upon arrival at SeaTac, find the HAL representative in the Baggage Claim area. Inform him or her that you need assistance with the luggage.

C. The HAL representative will ask you how many total pieces of luggage you have and will not only find a Sky Cap who will then grab all your luggage for you, but also give you the proper ship Luggage tags for your cruise (if you do not already have them on the luggage) and take it to the truck where all the HAL passengers luggage from your flight/cruise is loaded onto and take it directly to the ship.

IMPORTANT: Make sure that your TA arranges for the Proper Documentation NOW

Special Requirements Information (SRI) form

This will help to insure you and your mother have no problems. They will make sure a bus with a lift is provided at Seattle, and possibly ports of call that also use Grey Lines. It also makes sure that you are amongst the first boarded, just as you are on an airline.

If you need any help just holler at me and I will gladly help in ay way I can. My email is irl_joanie@yahoo.com put CC Mobility help in the subject line so I know what you need help with.

Joanie

Have to agree with the other posters....you will be responsible to collect your luggage. I haven't seen HAL collect luggage since 9/11 and, quite honestly, I kind of like having "eyes-on" my bags so even when they did collect luggage I was there checking to make sure it was being picked up. One tag torn off by the airlines handling your bags and your luggage would not make the ship. :eek: That said I'd go to baggage claim and either get the HAL rep to assist getting a porter or find a porter yourself and have them help you.

Archived