Am I the only one?

HoustonTodd

In 50 cruises I've met maybe 6 Captains. Certainly less than a dozen. On an RCL cruise a couple of years ago, I met the Captain and his wife on the Promenade. On the roll call people were talking about dining at the Captain's table. I, JOKINGLY, said, Why would I want to eat with the hired help? When we met the Cap and his Lady we talked about ships and cruising and the internet. I said my board name and she said, Oh! You're the one that doesn't want to eat with the help!" We had a good laugh!

LOL . . . that's funny. That stuff always comes back to bite one in the a$$.

I once posted while on board that the CD's jokes were very predictable, since I had had him on the 2 previous cruises. Much to my chagrin, he stated in front of 1500 people the next night that he had a few new jokes for Gary, so Gary wouldn't think he was so predictable. Thank goodness no one knew who I was. :eek:

Those rascals read the boards too. :D

Later on in the evening I approached him and half-heartedly apologized for my post. He understood completely, said 47% of all cruisers on any given Carnival cruise are first-time cruisers, and a whopping 96% on any given cruise have never had him for a CD on that cruise.

Who doesn't "get" all of the hoopla about the Captain and meeting him on a ship? What brought this to mind in particular was the thread about the behind the scenes excursion where people keep saying things like "but you get to spend 'x' ammount of time meeting the captain!" And then also there was all of the issues around the captain's/welcome aboard party relatively recently with some of the changes Carnival made.

I mean, I enjoy the Captain's party as much as anyone, and I give respect to the Captain for his position and authority. However, as far as I'm concerned "but I got to talk to the Captain!" holds about as much weight to me as "I got to talk to the room steward's supervisor!" He's just a normal human being. He has two legs just like anyone else, he puts his pants on the same as anyone else. I don't see him as anyone overly special.

Again, I'm not disrespecting him. All respect to him for his position. But I'm not going to get all weak in the knees about meeting the guy. It really has no meaning to me at all.

Now the view from the bridge and seeing them at work would be cool ... but as far as the man himself goes, I've never understood all of the fuss at all.

No,your are not the only one I could not care less if I meet Capitan or not I dont even care to remember his name:( all respect to him from my side,but I don need to talk to him or to any president:p

I would shake the hand of any Captain while aboard their ship :D.

Maritime Law gives the Ole boy a ton of clout . You even look at him wrong and you could be in the brig !:eek:

But you can bet your grass with that virus running wild , I'll be wearing gloves !:rolleyes:

I was once on a ship where the captain had to stand around and take pictures with Pax who wanted one with him .He was VERY verbal about his disapproval .He called it a STUPID picture .I think he was not wrong .He was there for hours POOR GUY!!!

I agree he has a much nicer uniform !!!

I too am indifferent to meeting him UNLESS I was invited to dinner with him

Who has had THAT experience?

Who merits THAT invitation?

On one of my cruises, I believe the PRIDE out of LA, the Captain was introduced on the stage. He was tall, dark, middle aged Italian (so good-lookin' it hurt :rolleyes:). . . the women swooned. He took some questions from the audience. One lady asked, "Who's steering the boat?"

The Captain just smiled, looked the lady right in the eye and said, "She's not a boat and I don't steer. She knows the way and she's VERY OBEDIENT." :rolleyes:

That got him a few oooooooooooooohs from the NOW crowd. :D

I'm a chick and that would have definitely made me swoon. There's just something about that uniform that is, well, sexy. I may not want to meet El Capitano, but I do like attending the ceremony and checking him out. :)

I'm a chick and that would have definitely made me swoon. There's just something about that uniform that is, well, sexy. I may not want to meet El Capitano, but I do like attending the ceremony and checking him out. :)

Thank you for finally validating my assumption. :D

I love meeting the Captain, you want to know why????

Think about it, once you wave to him (or her) from your nice little chair you

are sitting on in the room, what do you do???

Why pick up the drink they brought to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):)

Captain who:confused:

Although I did want to meet Captain Johnny and his harley on the Mariner........but he was on vacation......

Now he is one outstandng capt and person. Shared a very scary experience on his ship and he was awesome.

I was once on a ship where the captain had to stand around and take pictures with Pax who wanted one with him .He was VERY verbal about his disapproval .He called it a STUPID picture .I think he was not wrong .He was there for hours POOR GUY!!!

I agree he has a much nicer uniform !!!

I too am indifferent to meeting him UNLESS I was invited to dinner with him

Who has had THAT experience?

Who merits THAT invitation?

Two cruisemates on a Caribbean cruise (we got separated in the dining process) were seated at a table with a lady that frequently came onboard to cruise with (service, IMHO:rolleyes:) the Captain.

She invited the two ladies I was cruising with to sit at the Captain's table for dinner, where she sat alongside the Captain. One of the ladies declined, but one of my cruisemates accepted. Most of the ladies were astonished at some of the stories she told of her escapades with the Captain when she was at her MDR seating ! ! (to astonish the 2 ladies I was cruising with would take some doing :D)

I intentionally left the pics of the full captain's table out of my webshots and only included the lady I cruised with that accepted the invitation. First time for her. She said later, she was quite bored. :confused:

Two cruisemates on a Caribbean cruise (we got separated in the dining process) were seated at a table with a lady that frequently came onboard to cruise with (service, IMHO:rolleyes:) the Captain...Most of the ladies were astonished at some of the stories she told of her escapades with the Captain when she was at her MDR seating ! !

EWWW. I don't know which is creepier, her behavior or his.

Who doesn't "get" all of the hoopla about the Captain and meeting him on a ship? What brought this to mind in particular was the thread about the behind the scenes excursion where people keep saying things like "but you get to spend 'x' ammount of time meeting the captain!" And then also there was all of the issues around the captain's/welcome aboard party relatively recently with some of the changes Carnival made.

I mean, I enjoy the Captain's party as much as anyone, and I give respect to the Captain for his position and authority. However, as far as I'm concerned "but I got to talk to the Captain!" holds about as much weight to me as "I got to talk to the room steward's supervisor!" He's just a normal human being. He has two legs just like anyone else, he puts his pants on the same as anyone else. I don't see him as anyone overly special.

Again, I'm not disrespecting him. All respect to him for his position. But I'm not going to get all weak in the knees about meeting the guy. It really has no meaning to me at all.

Now the view from the bridge and seeing them at work would be cool ... but as far as the man himself goes, I've never understood all of the fuss at all.

The way I feel about the Captain is the same theory we were taught about being a basketball referee. The best one is the one you don't notice.

I just came off the Carnival Legend and took the limited ship's tour. One of the many stops was the Bridge and meeting the Captain, along with having our picture taken with him. It was terrific. Highly recommed it to all. The cost was $95 though, but the tour of the ship was around 3 1/2 hrs long.

We were on the Liberty awhile back and our Captain went on vacation halfway through our cruise and was replaced by someone else. We didn't even know it until we got home and saw someone elses review. We don't pay any attention to the Captain at all, although we are glad he is there and appreciate the job he does.

very true, but i don't think the job of captain of a ship is comparable to driving a bus. It requires far more training and years to get there. I don't belittle any person doing any job, but the jobs i've had as a waitress, bartender, house keeper, etc. Were not jobs that compared with driving the ship!

i wasn't saying they are comparable jobs just that they both deserve respect for working. Obviously one takes more training and education to accomplish.

I have been on a few cruises and only 1 Captain has stood out. We enjoyed his sense of humor and have been on a second cruise with him. Captain Scala is funny and personable. He was on the Fantasy last February and the Destiny last month. He can be found walking around the ship and greeting people. Cigars under the Stars and a Q&A session in the theatre make him more than just a Captain's Reception captain.

This is why we are looking forward to another cruise with him on the Triumph in March.

Archived