Am I the only one?

HoustonTodd

Who doesn't "get" all of the hoopla about the Captain and meeting him on a ship? What brought this to mind in particular was the thread about the behind the scenes excursion where people keep saying things like "but you get to spend 'x' ammount of time meeting the captain!" And then also there was all of the issues around the captain's/welcome aboard party relatively recently with some of the changes Carnival made.

I mean, I enjoy the Captain's party as much as anyone, and I give respect to the Captain for his position and authority. However, as far as I'm concerned "but I got to talk to the Captain!" holds about as much weight to me as "I got to talk to the room steward's supervisor!" He's just a normal human being. He has two legs just like anyone else, he puts his pants on the same as anyone else. I don't see him as anyone overly special.

Again, I'm not disrespecting him. All respect to him for his position. But I'm not going to get all weak in the knees about meeting the guy. It really has no meaning to me at all.

Now the view from the bridge and seeing them at work would be cool ... but as far as the man himself goes, I've never understood all of the fuss at all.

It's kind of like meeting the President. You think it's going to be great and oh so special, but after hello, what are you going to say? You probably have absolutely nothing in common, so there's no ground for any real conversation. They're like anyone else. Some can keep a conversation going, but some can't.

Who doesn't "get" all of the hoopla about the Captain and meeting him on a ship? What brought this to mind in particular was the thread about the behind the scenes excursion where people keep saying things like "but you get to spend 'x' ammount of time meeting the captain!" And then also there was all of the issues around the captain's/welcome aboard party relatively recently with some of the changes Carnival made.

I mean, I enjoy the Captain's party as much as anyone, and I give respect to the Captain for his position and authority. However, as far as I'm concerned "but I got to talk to the Captain!" holds about as much weight to me as "I got to talk to the room steward's supervisor!" He's just a normal human being. He has two legs just like anyone else, he puts his pants on the same as anyone else. I don't see him as anyone overly special.

Again, I'm not disrespecting him. All respect to him for his position. But I'm not going to get all weak in the knees about meeting the guy. It really has no meaning to me at all.

Now the view from the bridge and seeing them at work would be cool ... but as far as the man himself goes, I've never understood all of the fuss at all.

Nope. you're not the only one. I agree... greatly respect the position and all that, but don't care to meet him or anything. I am very interested in the behind the scenes tour stuff, but not to meet the captain. And Nunu, LOL... this chick doesn't get excited about the captains. You're a crack-up. ;)

I totally agree.......... He is doing his job just like a postman, factory worker, bank teller, server at a restaurant, cashier at a store, airline pilot, bus driver, hospital worker, law enforcement, ........... I could go on and on.

Ever go to a Broadway play, and meet the cast at the side door afterward? Sometimes, people you never knew existed an hour and a half before?

How about a politician riding through town, or a parade? Why do people REALLY line up?

I'm sure he doesn't really care about meeting you either, but it's staged as an event, a photo op, something to do.

Something other to do than towel folding.

But, you don't have to get it. They do it, and people line up. They may not even miss you.

And if NO ONE ever came, or it had a poor turnout, I'm sure it would be on the cancellation list.

How about a politician riding through town, or a parade? Why do people REALLY line up?

Couldn't care less about politicians either. They are just another human being as well. In fact being a politician, they are probably more corrupt than most ...

But, you don't have to get it. They do it, and people line up. They may not even miss you.

Did I criticize or attack anyone? No I didn't. I just wondered if I was unique in not being bothered about him. As far as the excursion goes I would consider it for other reasons, though I still see it as being an awfully steep price for what is offered.

I'm not criticizing the excursion, I'm not attacking other posters, I was just curious how others felt in relation to the captain because of the way some spoke in that thread coupled with some other threads recently (kind of like I said in the OP ....)

Have a margarita and take a deep breath ...

BFD. When you meet him, think about how many people he has met in the past. He won't remember you 5 minutes from that time. I too respect the position and also wonder why isn't he guiding the ship instead of meeting the passengers. Just like the pilot of an airliner. Nice to see him, but, hope he gets you where you are going in one piece.:D:D

Another in the chorus of...no, don't need to meet the captain.

If I needed to know one of the crew, it would more be needing to know who was the head of housekeeping (or whatever that position is called), because there's something not right in my cabin, and the steward hasn't been able to fix it (not likely). Or maybe the person in charge of the kitchen, because I wanted or needed something special. And then, I really wouldn't need to know his/her name, just need to know their title, and where to find them.

I've never been one to stand in line to meet anyone famous, anyway.

Which part is the attack?

If I misread your post then I appologize. When you said:

And if NO ONE ever came, or it had a poor turnout, I'm sure it would be on the cancellation list.

Particularly the part in bold, coupled with what came before it, it just seemed as though you were 'coming at me' on my thoughts. Again, I'm sorry if I took your post out of context/misunderstood.

Partly, because he's ultimately responsible for the lives of thousands onboard, but mostly I think it's the remnants of a bygone era... the captains were really put on a pedestal... now not so much... and by the looks of this thread, fading fast...

(Remember, Airline Pilots used to be Rock Stars!)

I don't get it either. But I also don't get all the hoopla and money people throw at music, movie & sports "stars" - what a racket that is!

I don't believe in "iconizing" anyone in any position be they captain, cruise director, politician or "star".

It simply a status thing. If you value meeting the captain, it's usually because you feel they have the highest status on the ship...

The captain doesn't steer the ship...It's the navigator...But most of the time it's autopilot with the exception of getting in and out of port. :)

Archived