"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

We just got back from seven nights on the Carnival Liberty. I made a list of all the tips in this thread and dragged a bunch of stuff onboard that we didn't use.

The highlighters weren't really necessary because the Fun Times had a tear off schedule with all of the activities listed by time. It was really easy to use.

The amount of light that came through the closed curtain over our balcony wasn't enough to wake us up. So the clothespins were unecessary.

We didn't use the over-the-door accessories holder because there was enough space on the bathroom shelves and desk area for all the things we brought with us.

The things I was happy to have with us:

Water bottle for filling with beverages at the Lido

power strip

travel clock for room and watches to wear

medications (we went through a whole bottle of ibuprofin!)

SODA!

Water shoes (the Lido deck gets HOT!)

Our own snorkel stuff

Command Adhesive hooks

Things I wish I'd brought:

Air fresheners for the bathroom

Conditioner for my hair (what was I thinking?!?!?!?)

Over the course of a week, I have read this entire thread. There have been some very good tips here even for an experienced cruiser ( about 30).As many have pointed out, use what applies to you. Not all of my must-haves will be yours and vise versa.

Very early on someone commented about taking their passport in case the ship left without them. I understand that the staff will take your passport from your safe and leave it with the port authority so that you are not stranded. I recall reading this on CC but have no idea where or when. Need to check if this is fact, or an urban legend.

Over the course of a week, I have read this entire thread. There have been some very good tips here even for an experienced cruiser ( about 30).As many have pointed out, use what applies to you. Not all of my must-haves will be yours and vise versa.

Very early on someone commented about taking their passport in case the ship left without them. I understand that the staff will take your passport from your safe and leave it with the port authority so that you are not stranded. I recall reading this on CC but have no idea where or when. Need to check if this is fact, or an urban legend.

Please let us know if you find out!

We just got back from seven nights on the Carnival Liberty. I made a list of all the tips in this thread and dragged a bunch of stuff onboard that we didn't use.

The highlighters weren't really necessary because the Fun Times had a tear off schedule with all of the activities listed by time. It was really easy to use.

The amount of light that came through the closed curtain over our balcony wasn't enough to wake us up. So the clothespins were unecessary.

We didn't use the over-the-door accessories holder because there was enough space on the bathroom shelves and desk area for all the things we brought with us.

The things I was happy to have with us:

Water bottle for filling with beverages at the Lido

power strip

travel clock for room and watches to wear

medications (we went through a whole bottle of ibuprofin!)

SODA!

Water shoes (the Lido deck gets HOT!)

Our own snorkel stuff

Command Adhesive hooks

Things I wish I'd brought:

Air fresheners for the bathroom

Conditioner for my hair (what was I thinking?!?!?!?)

Yes! Airfresheners~~~ALWAYS!

Command hooks....those would have come in handy on our last hotel visit and our last cruise, as there weren't enough hooks in the room/cabin to hang our wet swimsuits.

I bring a Brita water bottle almost everywhere I go, but especially on cruises, so I can fill with water and it tastes good!

A regular water bottle or travel cup is a good idea too!

Travel clock--always, I even have one, that when you pick it up, it has a flashlight on it, for those in-the-dark bathroom visits.

I got a mesh shower caddy with pockets, that has suction cups, that works great in the shower. I even got a hanging mesh bar soap holder for DH's bar of Irish Spring! ;)

Edited by suzyed

I know that Princess will send an officer to get your passport from the safe and leave it with the port agent if you are missing the ship.

I know that Princess will send an officer to get your passport from the safe and leave it with the port agent if you are missing the ship.

Is this before the ship leaves or do the forward it from the next port? If someone did not leave it in the safe,would they search the room (I doubt it) because they would possibly assume you had it with you. I can see this falling under the lost passport process, which would create a delay getting to the next port, or home. I carry mine.

Thanks for this Paul. I will continue to carry only a copy then. I am sure that it is more likely to be pickpocketed and lose my passport than to miss the ship. Although either can happen, I will continue to play the odds.

Just learned about this. I copied and pasted this fro the gov. website. Check out the last paragraph about some countries and airlines won't accept your passport if it expires within 6 months after you travel.

Later in Life,

Mark

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just learned about this. I copied and pasted this fro the gov. website. Check out the last paragraph about some countries and airlines won't accept your passport if it expires within 6 months after you travel.

Later in Life,

Mark

For many of our cruises, the Princess site says that our passports must be valid for at least 6 months after we return.

I knew about the 6 months and my passport expires in feb and we cruise in jan so I had to go get another one done. good thing for me July 1st they are increasing the fee so I did save a little

:o

And I hate the way they date the new one from the date you apply for it, not from the date your old one expires! They have always done it that way, it didn't start in 2009.

At least here in Israel (I have both passports) they date it from the date it would have expired if you did not renew early.

we've been on three cruises so far and this will be our 4th in the summer on IOTS. I will never go back to other types of holidays, and here are my tips:

Watch the sunset as often as possible. It is an amazing sight and you will never forget it.

don't get stressed about queues, just take them in your stride they don't last long.

Look for dolphins and whales and watch them in their own territory, they are beautiful

Watch the high heels, especially on deck, they don't look so elegant when you're slipping about

Join in with the fun. It's surreal all singing whilst leaving a port and sounds a bit naff, but its really special!

and a sixth - remember how lucky you are to be experiencing such magic!

I will be going on my first cruise on 8/4/13 on Allure of the Seas. The room, soda package, premium drink package, gratuities, shore excursions, 3 specialty dining and all transfers from airports to hotels to boat and back are paid with tips included. I have a family of 7, ages 48, 47, 25, 15, 12, 9 and 5. Would you say $500 would be enough to take care of incidentals?

wow. I can't even think of what you could spend it on! But I will give you some tips for the Allure. Have you registered for the shows yet?? You can do it on line and you should do it now if you haven't yet. There is a secret public overlook on deck 11 aft where you can look down on the water show. Go all the way down the hall to a door on the right (no markings) open it and to the left there is a open area. It can also be seen by the webcam when you leave the port (if there is someone at home you want to wave to). I can't believe your first cruise in on the Allure!

wow. I can't even think of what you could spend it on! But I will give you some tips for the Allure. Have you registered for the shows yet?? You can do it on line and you should do it now if you haven't yet. There is a secret public overlook on deck 11 aft where you can look down on the water show. Go all the way down the hall to a door on the right (no markings) open it and to the left there is a open area. It can also be seen by the webcam when you leave the port (if there is someone at home you want to wave to). I can't believe your first cruise in on the Allure!

I have all the shows booked, and funny thing is we are on deck 11. My immediate family is 7 but I have 10 others also going with us on this cruise. I am looking forward to this cruise, thanks to all the tips and comments I have been reading on this forum. Trying to make sure I am as prepared as possible without too many deadlines to worry about. I am usually a go with the flow type of person. About 23 days till we sail.

Another thing is I put a credit card down for all 7 of my immediate family, How much will they lock up on it when we check in? Also with the 5 and 9 year old not doing any charges, is there a place in the on line check in to show that, or do you do that when you are at the pier?

I am not sure I understand your question about the kids. You must choose who can charge to your card and if you don't check the box to allow them to charge. They won't be able to charge anything.

I don't know what hold they put on a cc. On a debit I think they put $500 because they put that amount on a friend of mine' debit a few years ago.

MY TOP TIP for travel

(wish I learned a long time ago)

One Thing I learned along time ago is to scan your Passport and travel Docs, credit cards both sides, and all other important info like boarding pass, travel insurance etc.

Send the scanned images to your email.

We used to photocopy it all, but what happens if you lose all luggage and or wallet then all info is gone, but we all HAVE EMAIL and can access it anywhere.

happy travels, Nat :D

The drink they offer when you board the ship is NOT free!

On Celebrity it is! Free champagne or Mimosas, all you want, and nobody is keeping tabs or asking for your room pass.:)

The drink they offer when you board the ship is NOT free!

On NCL they handed us a free glass of champagne (or orange juice) when we first stepped on board.

However, drinks after that did cost.

MY TOP TIP for travel

(wish I learned a long time ago)

One Thing I learned along time ago is to scan your Passport and travel Docs, credit cards both sides, and all other important info like boarding pass, travel insurance etc.

Send the scanned images to your email.

We used to photocopy it all, but what happens if you lose all luggage and or wallet then all info is gone, but we all HAVE EMAIL and can access it anywhere.

happy travels, Nat :D

That's a great idea, if you don't have a scanner, you could take pics with your cell phone also.

Wow of all the amazing threads and posts on this forum this one has definitely been the most enlightening! I'm planning a cruise with some coworkers and friends and none of us have taken a cruise before...so needless to say we are doing lots of preplanning. Thanks to all who've submitted tips and tricks....this took awhile to read. Definitely going to bookmark it and keep up with all the great info!