Could someone explain the interior cabin categories please

dual

As a first time cruiser I avidly read CC threads but im a tad confused about the categories.

Could someone explain the differences or provide a link to where they may be explained?

I think im in a category N :confused: - its an inside cabin on Liberty of the Seas on Deck 8. looking at the deck plans im very close to the back of the ship.

Do different categories equate to "preferential" rooms or decks on the ship?

Will it say on my booklet what category I am in? cant see anything but I may be overlooking it.

Many thanks

It depends a bit on the ship, but, yeah, mostly different categories equate to different types of cabins or decks on the ship.

On some RC ships, for example, there's a promenade cutting through the middle of the ship, and there's a number of interior rooms with a window looking out over the promenade. Those 'promenade staterooms' are a different class than the staterooms that don't have that view.

Otherwise, mostly, different class = different deck. Some people prefer a higher/lower deck for whatever reason and are willing to pay for the difference -- I don't claim to fully understand that in most cases.

Generally, inside cabins on one ship are the same size (plus or minus a few sq. ft) . The categories will relate to the location and deck. If there is a significant difference in size, this will usually be clear in the description such as on the Rhapsody, I have booked a large inside cabin (not really large just larger than the standard).

The standard size varies significantly from ship to ship and one cruise line to another. Our first inside was on Disney and it was huge. Stupid me then assumed they were like that on all ships and booked an inside on Carnival, boy was I surprised.

Hope this helps a bit.

The inside cabins on Deck 8 are mostly category L,N, and PR. The difference in these is that almost all of the category L cabins have a 3rd or 4th Pullman bed available whereas none of the category N cabins do. The PR cabins have a window that overlooks the Royal Promenade.

There is no 8961 so it must be 8691. It's a category N which means it does not have the option for a 3rd or 4th person. The cabin is near the back of the ship which means a long walk to the elevator. If you don't mind walking, it's a great spot. Being that far toward the back means you won't have a lot of people traffic going by your cabin all the time. The long walk helps to burn off calories.

"Do different categories equate to "preferential" rooms or decks on the ship?"

With RCL, broadly speaking, the higher the letter, the lower the grade. Thus if you're just comparing inside cabins on Liberty, a Q is a lower grade cabin than your N, and an L is a higher grade cabin. The only effect of this grade is that pricing is usually cheaper for the lower grades.

For insides, most of the difference in grades either comes due to size (some RCL ships have at least 3 interior sizes), and/or location (generally the more to the front or rear of the ship the cheaper/lower grade. 2 reasons: the main is that it will move more in rough conditions whereas mid-ship doesn't so is more desirable, and will usually be the furthest to walk to places.)

Many thanks for all your replies regarding my question.

This helps me as if I like the cruise then I will probably look at going on another one next year and I will know what to look for in a category.

As for burning calories - thats useful for me - I will go to the gym every morning so I already know its a nice brisk warm up walk to the fitness centre.

Feel a bit sorry for my mum though as she uses a walking stick and doesnt walk very fast but Im sure the extra exercise will do her the world of good.

Archived