SD II November 29, ST. Maarten/San Juan, preview/review

Jim Avery

Just missed an upgrade to Admiral's suite. The new format is selling the premium space the week before sailing. I was unable to answer my phone when SD called and when I got around to being called back, they only had Commodore Suite upgrades available. The representative told me the Admiral's Suite was available when they first called. Ok FT: you snooze you lose.:D I would have liked to try the AS. The calls are to past passengers and the availability is first come, first served (make up your mind on the spot). Good use of space/amenities. All packed and nowhere to go (yet).

As always, DJ is right.:p The Commodore was offered at $800. Did not get to ask what the AS or OS went for. In any case, considerably less than the original pricing. Too bad we didnt get it, I could have rented you space, Gantt, and maybe made a profit.:eek: DJ, how is the US Air first class lounge at CLT? We have a couple of hours to investigate the Bloody Marys.:D

J.

As always, DJ is right.:p The Commodore was offered at $800. Did not get to ask what the AS or OS went for. In any case, considerably less than the original pricing. Too bad we didnt get it, I could have rented you space, Gantt, and maybe made a profit.:eek: DJ, how is the US Air first class lounge at CLT? We have a couple of hours to investigate the Bloody Marys.:D

J.

There are two USAir Clubs. The larger of the two is between C and D. The smaller and more intimate one is in B. We use whichever one is closest to the gate from which we are departing.

The Clubs now offer free wifi, beer and wine. Their Bloodies tend to be pre-mixed bottle stuff but they are good.

. . .. they only had Commodore Suite upgrades available. The representative told me the Admiral's Suite was available when they first called. Ok FT: you snooze you lose.:D .

we booked a Commodore Suite for a 9 day cruise in March and loved it . . .two bathrooms were wonderful, especially if we stayed on deck too close to dinner and were rushing around.

Have fun Jim (like there is any alternative:D:D) and please find a few moments to post on board for us addicts. I promise to do the same in December. Happy Turkey Day and safe travels. Best to Lois.

FT

we booked a Commodore Suite for a 9 day cruise in March and loved it . . .two bathrooms were wonderful, especially if we stayed on deck too close to dinner and were rushing around.

Have fun Jim (like there is any alternative:D:D) and please find a few moments to post on board for us addicts. I promise to do the same in December. Happy Turkey Day and safe travels. Best to Lois.

FT

We stayed in a Commodore Suite for the first time during our March '09 cruise with FT et al. It was wonderful!

Thanks FT. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and all the rest of our CC buddies. Will try to post a time or two. Will still not be able to review the gym equipment. And, DJ, I knew I could count on you for good bar advice.:D

Who me???:D DJ's DH is on his way home from CLT as I write this ... He is a better person than I am as he drove to the airport to pick up his brother.:rolleyes:

RollTide1, when are you arriving in St. Maarten? Dimitri is coming in on the 27th, we arrive on the 28th. Look forward to seeing you.

Jim & Lois.

We are unbelievably excited and ready to go! I recently spoke with Miami, and I have a few tidbits of information for anyone sailing the upcoming 5-day on 11/29. Here is the rotation which they gave me:

Captain Tysse, at the helm

Meredith, Activities Director

Peter, Hotel Manager

And this voyage is over 90% booked, from what I was told (I believe they said 93% when I inquired on Tuesday).

Looking forward to a wonderful five days! I will try to post something onboard for fellow SeaDreamers.

Hi Roll Tide.

We are ready as well. Leaving at 6am tomorrow. Have never sailed with Capt. Tysse but Disney Jen, Frequent Traveler, et. al love him. I am sure we will have a ball as long as The Tide does well this afternoon. See you in St. Maarten! Roll Tide Roll!

Jim & Lois.

Edited by Jim Avery

We are unbelievably excited and ready to go! I recently spoke with Miami, and I have a few tidbits of information for anyone sailing the upcoming 5-day on 11/29. Here is the rotation which they gave me:

Captain Tysse, at the helm

Meredith, Activities Director

Peter, Hotel Manager

And this voyage is over 90% booked, from what I was told (I believe they said 93% when I inquired on Tuesday).

Looking forward to a wonderful five days! I will try to post something onboard for fellow SeaDreamers.

Have sailed with Capt. T and Peter as recently as March of this year. You will enjoy sailing with Capt. T at the helm and Peter in charge of the Hotel functions!

Hi Roll Tide.

We are ready as well. Leaving at 6am tomorrow. Have never sailed with Capt. Tysse but Disney Jen, Frequent Traveler, et. al love him. I am sure we will have a ball as long as The Tide does well this afternoon. See you in St. Maarten! Roll Tide Roll!

Jim & Lois.

What time are you going through CLT tomorrow? I will make sure to look to the south and raise a mimosa or Bloody in your honor:p

We do love Capt. T and I know you will enjoy sailing with him Jim:D

Hope to hear from you while you are on board ... and hoping for a review as well!

Are arriving CLT 8:32am, departing for SXM 11:35. A few Bloodys, some snacks, read a bit and on our way! Wish you were going too.:D

DJ's DH and I will make sure to have a Bloody or two and toast you from 75 miles away:p

Wish we were going as well but we still have Turkey Day guests ... as well as that silly thing called finances:rolleyes:

DisneyJen:

Thank you for the information.

Jim: What a heartstopper with the Alabama-Auburn game! RTR!!! Safe travels tomorrow, and we'll see you and Lois on Sunday.

Whew! Darn glad to get that one! See you on board. Safe travels to all.

Jim & Lois.

All righty Jim ... you have been on our beloved SD2 more than 24 hours and you have not yet posted:eek: Guessing you are having a wonderful time and have forgotten all about us SD addicts and our need for real time fixes:p

All joking aside ... hope you all are having a glorious time!

All righty Jim ... you have been on our beloved SD2 more than 24 hours and you have not yet posted:eek: Guessing you are having a wonderful time and have forgotten all about us SD addicts and our need for real time fixes:p

All joking aside ... hope you all are having a glorious time!

I heard from ganttc this morning. They were ready for Saba today. He said that the Weather Channel had forecasted rain all week, but the weather looked promising. He said that Jim & Lois are cute. :)

They're in St. Barts now, with SDI right alongside them.

Ah...must be nice. :)

I heard from ganttc this morning. They were ready for Saba today. He said that the Weather Channel had forecasted rain all week, but the weather looked promising. He said that Jim & Lois are cute. :)

They're in St. Barts now, with SDI right alongside them.

Ah...must be nice. :)

I have understand that there was sunset swimming in St. Barts:D Weather looks fantastic ... makes me incredibly jealous since we have had nothing but swells when we were in St. Barth's in March 08 and 09!

I do love when the sisters are side by side. Nothing like lounging on a Bali Bed and seeing your yacht:p

When you talk to ganttc please ask him to post. I suspect he will become a SD addict as well and will need the occasional live from fix:D

Good Morning from beautiful Gustavia, St. Barts. The view out our stateroom window is SD I. The weather is beautiful. Capt. T. reports that it has been so since they arrived in the Caribbean. We are darn glad we booked the day before. US Air pushed back at VPS 3 minutes early! Arrived CLT 10 minutes early. :eek: Looking good. Oops. The bar at the Presidents Club wont be open for hours. You guys around CLT really live rough! Anyway, the incoming aircraft for SXM arrives on time at our gate and the pasengers come off. Then the travel gods strike. The off coming air crew Capt. proclaims to us eager passengers: "That aircraft ain't going to St. Maarten. Something on the aircraft decided to pack it in. 3 hours later, they had found another aircraft and crew (had to have a new crew because they scrapped a 757 and replaced it with an ancient Airbus 319. Anyway, we finally arrived in SXM at 730pm, went straight to the Sonesta Maho Bay (nice, more later) and would have missed SD had we tried to fly on the day of embarkation. Went to bed, still had Sunday to play with the air planes (more later, hopefully with pictures of some dope standing under landing planes). According to plan, we had a "sea day" at Saba and thoroughly enjoyed it. Disney Jen has it right. Also, FT, the service around the pool was very good. Just as we remembered, right down to the sunglass cleaning and water spritzing (not to mention the bloody marys, bbcs, etc. etc. Had dinner with Captain Tysse last night with Me Dimitri, ganttc and entourage and have met Roll tide 1. There are 101 of us on board and NO CHILDREN!:D Capt. T is all you said he was and more. Tales of Disney Jen, Frequent Traveler, and Charlie was mentioned too. The dirt will follow. The group on board is very friendly and approachable. Ganttc is a hoot and already knows everyone on board. I think he is bucking for CAD. Speaking of CAD, the Meredith on board is not the one we sailed with a few years ago. This Meredith has tons of personality and seems very into her job. Have not had to use her services for any excursions so can not speak to that subject but she seems very nice. Off to a great start even though the sea state at Anegada might mean a change of plans. Alternates being discussed are Peter Island, Norman Island, Necker Island. All good subs. Would love to chat more but gee, we have to go into Gustavia. Due to the economy, as per Capt. T, the shops are all discounting 50% to 70% off! Might get a t shirt for under $20 what a thought!.:eek:

More later,

Jim & Lois

Good Morning from beautiful Gustavia, St. Barts. The view out our stateroom window is SD I. The weather is beautiful. Capt. T. reports that it has been so since they arrived in the Caribbean. We are darn glad we booked the day before. US Air pushed back at VPS 3 minutes early! Arrived CLT 10 minutes early. :eek: Looking good. Oops. The bar at the Presidents Club wont be open for hours. You guys around CLT really live rough! Anyway, the incoming aircraft for SXM arrives on time at our gate and the pasengers come off. Then the travel gods strike. The off coming air crew Capt. proclaims to us eager passengers: "That aircraft ain't going to St. Maarten. Something on the aircraft decided to pack it in. 3 hours later, they had found another aircraft and crew (had to have a new crew because they scrapped a 757 and replaced it with an ancient Airbus 319. Anyway, we finally arrived in SXM at 730pm, went straight to the Sonesta Maho Bay (nice, more later) and would have missed SD had we tried to fly on the day of embarkation. Went to bed, still had Sunday to play with the air planes (more later, hopefully with pictures of some dope standing under landing planes). According to plan, we had a "sea day" at Saba and thoroughly enjoyed it. Disney Jen has it right. Also, FT, the service around the pool was very good. Just as we remembered, right down to the sunglass cleaning and water spritzing (not to mention the bloody marys, bbcs, etc. etc. Had dinner with Captain Tysse last night with Me Dimitri, ganttc and entourage and have met Roll tide 1. There are 101 of us on board and NO CHILDREN!:D Capt. T is all you said he was and more. Tales of Disney Jen, Frequent Traveler, and Charlie was mentioned too. The dirt will follow. The group on board is very friendly and approachable. Ganttc is a hoot and already knows everyone on board. I think he is bucking for CAD. Speaking of CAD, the Meredith on board is not the one we sailed with a few years ago. This Meredith has tons of personality and seems very into her job. Have not had to use her services for any excursions so can not speak to that subject but she seems very nice. Off to a great start even though the sea state at Anegada might mean a change of plans. Alternates being discussed are Peter Island, Norman Island, Necker Island. All good subs. Would love to chat more but gee, we have to go into Gustavia. Due to the economy, as per Capt. T, the shops are all discounting 50% to 70% off! Might get a t shirt for under $20 what a thought!.:eek:

More later,

Jim & Lois

Thanks for checking in Jim ... and Lois too.

Your travel story to SXM just confirms what I have said all along ...plan on arriving at your port of embarkation a day BEFORE!!

Glad you enjoyed your "sea day" on board. We are to the point anymore that I have to be shamed into getting off the yacht when we are in port.

Glad you enjoyed dinner with Capt. T last night! I was with you in spirit:p

Enjoy shopping ... although there is no Chico's there:D

P.S. My vote is for Necker if you can't make Anegada.