SD II November 29, ST. Maarten/San Juan, preview/review

Jim Avery

SeaDream II Notes/ review Caribbean Voyage 11/29/09 through 12/04/09 (St. Maarten to San Juan)

I used one standard carry-on size rolling piece of luggage plus a really useful laptop-friendly backpack piece which I ordered from Amazon (“Upscale UGIO Metro laptop backpack” in brown quilted nylon, $56). We carried everything onboard.

He also told us that the seven (or 8?) transatlantic crossings that he has made would all be considered smoother than our current voyage. I was one of the very few passengers wearing a Scop patch, and I never heard anyone complaining about the seas. I am not particularly seaworthy, so I think I am a good test case for someone who wonders what it is really like onboard. I would even consider a transatlantic crossing now.

As a first-timer, I would like to have known several things. For example, to know that the Concierge is very well-trained and can help you with almost anything. To know that you should probably try to arrive at the very beginning of dinner service if you want a table for two. To know that it is preferable to let the Hotel Manager know in advance if you wish to dine outside when dinner service is inside the Salon that evening. To know that the Concierge desk will allow you to use their free internet pass card for up to 10 minutes’ time on the day before disembarkation if you need to check in/print your airline boarding pass. Most importantly, to know that you won’t be able to order Eggs Benedict on disembarkation day! (I was disappointed, but not until I returned to my little CC board after the trip did I learn of FDA regulations against this).

We are looking for the right trip to take for our return to SeaDream II, probably one of the Med voyages during warm weather. Then, we would like to try SDI for the French wine trip in 2011. And, that, my CC Friends, is the very best way to know that we are addicted to SeaDream!

Roll Tide . . .

Thanks so much for the review. I very much enjoyed your insight. I especially loved to hear from another female who can travel with a carry on. Hope the new travel security restrictions don't change this ability.

I will confirm the captain's statement about sailings on the crossings. Having made 3 (from Europe to the Caribbean) with a 4th this fall, there's never been weather like we've encountered in the Caribbean.

I would love SD to post a FAQ covering the helpful hints you've mentioned along with other areas on the Website. It would be so helpful.

And for your Med trip . . . may I suggest SD II for the Greek isles in late May or early June 2010. Captain T will be on board then. :D

Happy New Year.

FT

Here are some photos from our 11/29/09 sailing, all St. Barth's:

(Left to right):

1. SeaDream I photographed from SDII
  2. Sunset swim off the swim platform
  3. Caribbean sunset
  4. Local captain, Fast 'N Fun
  5. Eden Roc Hotel, from the Fast 'N Fun

Thank you, Zqvol, FT, and DisneyJen for all the posting advice. And, I have enjoyed all of your reviews, as well!

062.jpg.8b8f24b961c3b52f278615cf45ba4582.jpg

064.jpg.a98f779a9ec5242d208819165ef1f0e8.jpg

065.jpg.7b9312b67f7f035f91f11f0e3dafa479.jpg

070.jpg.c4b3d77aa5eb4f0d98ee8e5f9a6a441e.jpg

074.jpg.0b97d6387acf4256c108f2366bc555d1.jpg

Hey Rolltide....

Loved the review...Enjoyed meeting you and hope we get together on your next trip to Atlanta. Sorry you have conflict with the 5/29 sailing. We are already very excited and looking forward to that one!

Take care,

Gantt

Hey Mr. Jim: I almost froze....narrowly escaped, and now can confirm that negative degree temps are not for me! Unfortunatley, Atlanta is far from balmy right now. At least the days are starting to get longer. I've been commenting on Capt. JT's Facebook postings about how all his lovely warm and fabulous pictures are bringing out very evil thoughts in me. Have not found any "deals" yet...in fact, looks like things are filling up as the prices are increasing. I guess good for SD...not so good us! Happy New Year to you and Lois!

We have heard from everyone except Mr. & Mrs. Me_Dimitri. How about it Dimitri, you were on this trip too. Fill us in on what happened after we were all kicked off. Happy New Year to you too Gantt, Ted, et. al.

Jim.

Sorry for the delay...

The transition back to the real world and working for a living has been both painful and time consuming.

I thought I better make it back here before Gannt besmirches my reputation.

A quick consolidation of my thoughts and a mini-review:

-It was great meeting all of you on board (Jim, his severed digit and lovely wife Lois, Gannt, Ted and the crew from the south) a lower drag bunch of folks you will never find.

-Weather was fine, Champagne was cold and the crew was great.

-They started off with Laurent Perrier Champagne in the bars, which was terrific, and changed to another brand shortly thereafter that I cared for less, but it was still more than tolerable in a Kir Royale (of which I had (too) many)...

-Zoltan the bartender was stellar as usual and made sure that any empty glass was an opportunity for a creative assault on an unsuspecting liver...

-Chad was a fun new addition to the bar crew and was quick with an iPod mix to suit (or alter) the disposition of the mob at the TOY bar.

-Mieke sp? and Merideth (Concierge and CD), were both helpful, efficient and friendly, with an appropriately acerbic wit when the situation demanded it. (Surprisingly enough my situation often seemed to be of this sort).

Little things done well:

-The trip was a present for my Fraus birthday. When we arrived the room was adorned with balloons, confetti and birthday wishes (just perfect).

-My gal (Italian) had a craving for almond biscotti with her morning and afternoon coffee. They made her a special batch that had her on cloud nine.

-I don't eat desert (except in a glass, or the odd cheese plate). I do however have an unreasonable, irrational love for Foie Gras. It just appeared one night in lieu of desert (but coincident with my wife’s' Fondant) with a lovely glass of Armagnac....Wonderful! They remembered my gluttony from prior voyages...

-The food to my taste was taken up a notch from my last visit. I know some may disagree... I love French food and Chef Joce had introduced things like herb bundles on entrees and more delicate plating that made us very happy. When you get the chance to engage him on food topics, do so. His passion is palpable...

-The use of fresh ingredients in drinks... Real Mangos and Blood Oranges, not just the concentrated juice. Takes a cocktail from good to spectacular. Real slow cooked consommé for my Bloody Bull-Shots! (Not just for hangovers). Zoltans' hand at play again.

-A Senior VP named Erling sp?, on board through the two contiguous cruises I was on, made you feel how much they cared about the product and evolving it properly.

-Our waiter for the most part was Silvio and he is a pleasing pastiche of humour, efficiency and thoughtfulness. That being said all the wait staff were good.

-Lots of automatic hand cleanser dispensers all over the ship, much appreciate by the germaphobes.

Big Things done really well:

-The Jost Van Dyke Beach Parties... Awesome! The food was great the drinks were delivered well into the surf and the Champagne and Caviar was abundant. Having a beach party with top class cuisine and real silverware and china never gets old for me (unlike you jaded jet setters). I did miss the live band that they used to have (I really do not need to hear another MP3 play of No Woman No Cry... ever).

In the category of not as good:

-The wines at dinner need an up tick. For the most part they are inexpensive wines ranging from a decent pasta quaff to some barely drinkable over oaked Chardonnays and too thin or too peppery reds. We bought some wines to augment the house pours, but I would prefer not to do that on a cruise line of this calibre.

-In a similar thought, I think that they should be careful with making liquors premium (read extra charge) pours. e.g. certain Gins are included (Bombay Sapphire) and others are not (Hendricks Gin extra charge) it does not seem to relate to price. Again, my preference is ALL inclusive, even if it required a modest price bump. The partial upcharges change the feel of the voyage.

-I was not used to the (seemingly new) practice of reserving chairs and Bali Beds by throwing a book on them and going ashore or whatever for several hours... It seemed rude and I didn't care for it very much. It struck me that with the amount of common space on the ship and the migration patterns of the clientele it shouldn't be required.

-As Jim mentioned, the PJ's had been cheapened down a couple of notches, the material was much thinner and our first set didn't fit me. They had no more sizes available, but I did get a second set on the next voyage. They also were not monogrammed this time (machine not working)...

In general / summary / conclusion / termination:

Still a great product, made better by reconnecting with some old friends and making some new ones.

Frigidly Yours,

(Temperature not Temperament)

Dimitri

Happy to see that you do live!

We had a great time with you guys and have some good pics to remember the good times.

Oh and don't fret one little bit, I've been besmirching your reputation behind your back since our return to Atlanta.

Happy New Year to you guys.

Gantt

Thanks for warming up my afternoon (today's high was 34F) with your thoughts and review Dmitri!

I do hope that you included the items listed in your "Not As Good" section on your comment cards. If you haven't might I be so bold as to suggest that you email them to the Commodore, James Cabello?

I totally agree about not having the upcharge for premium spirits.

Very interesting observation on the chair saving. That's the first I have heard of it:confused:

Very interesting observation on the chair saving. That's the first I have heard of it:confused:

I don't think we had any chair saving on our SD II voyage on Dec. 13 - unless you count my leaving my book while I went upstairs for lunch. I hope that doesn't offend anyone but I will fight to keep my chair for after lunch (a 45 minute or so jaunt - not 2.5 hrs).

I have to second or third the comments on the pj's. Ours were embroidered (got to remember to ask for "Frequent Traveler" next time) - but much smaller and of lower quality than the pair I got in March/ I do like the little things at the end of the ties that keep them from slipping through- I often lose them in the waist and don't with new version. Didn't know you could ask for a different size - guess there is more than "one size fits all"

Agree with the comments on the upcharge . . . I don't often switch from champagne but occassionally would like a Grey Goose martini . . . believe it or not - even when you charter the ship -- there's an upcharge!

On our voyage - I agreed with your assessment of the 2nd champagne, Christophe commented it had been a local purchase while he was off the ship and we ran out of it the last day - moved back to the gold label (DJ - what is it?) that I like much better.

Thanks for the review . . . just triggered another SD craving . . . wonder how long this thread will stay active. Must be close to a record.

FT

Thanks for warming up my afternoon (today's high was 34F) with your thoughts and review Dmitri!

I do hope that you included the items listed in your "Not As Good" section on your comment cards. If you haven't might I be so bold as to suggest that you email them to the Commodore, James Cabello?

I totally agree about not having the upcharge for premium spirits.

Hi DJ...

I did mention my relatively minor nits on the comment cards and voiced them in more detail to Erling (The V.P. who was on board performing a process review) he solicited feedback and was interested.

I (of course) also made mention of all the great things and people that were in evidence.

Please take all necessary measures to keep warm.

When all else fails, I suggest alcohol and indecent thoughts.

Best Regards,

Dimitri

Agree with the comments on the upcharge . . . I don't often switch from champagne but occassionally would like a Grey Goose martini . . . believe it or not - even when you charter the ship -- there's an upcharge!

On our voyage - I agreed with your assessment of the 2nd champagne, Christophe commented it had been a local purchase while he was off the ship and we ran out of it the last day - moved back to the gold label (DJ - what is it?) that I like much better.

FT

It was Piper Heidsieck Brut:D Checked my notes!

Hi DJ...

I did mention my relatively minor nits on the comment cards and voiced them in more detail to Erling (The V.P. who was on board performing a process review) he solicited feedback and was interested.

I (of course) also made mention of all the great things and people that were in evidence.

Please take all necessary measures to keep warm.

When all else fails, I suggest alcohol and indecent thoughts.

Best Regards,

Dimitri

Glad you voiced your comments!

LOL at your measures to ward off the cold!

Mi Dimitri...

Enjoyed your notes, and it is interesting to see your take on things. You have a keen eye for detail which makes for a great review of the voyages..... we are looking for the next one! Do so like your idea of back-to-backs. Wondering if it makes "the real world" that much more difficult to return to.

RT1

Mein Frau and I are lucky enough be on both cruises...

(Likely followed by a salubrious stint in detox.)

I am looking forward to seeing some old friends and making some new ones (exotic cocktails included).

Thanks for the info on the Sonesta Maho Resort Jim, we will be staying there prior to departure.

Best Regards,

Dimitri

Just curious, how was the detox? Are you still using Betty Ford or is there a new one for SeaDream withdrawal? :D

J.

Just curious, how was the detox? Are you still using Betty Ford or is there a new one for SeaDream withdrawal? :D

J.

Thanks for inquiring Jim...

Unfortunately returning to the festive season did little to encourage moderation.

I have however recently initiated a self administered program of graduated substance withdrawal. It was off to a somewhat shaky start with our receptionist quickly tiring of my 11:00am requests to "kindly whip me up a Mohito".

I have since progressed to the point that a discreet pour of Kaluha in my office coffees is keeping the hand tremors to a minimum.

I expect to be able to limit my alcohol consumption to that of external application and the odd clandestine swallow of mouthwash in the foreseeable future.

Yours in Gluttony,

Dimitri

P.S. I feared that I had suffered a major setback this afternoon when I thought I spotted a pink Elephant in our boardroom.

Thankfully upon closer examination it was only our accountant, He was / is simultaneously encumbered with a sluggish thyroid and an unflattering pastel sweater his mother bought him for Xmas.

P.S. I feared that I had suffered a major setback this afternoon when I thought I spotted a pink Elephant in our boardroom.

Thankfully upon closer examination it was only our accountant, He was / is simultaneously encumbered with a sluggish thyroid and an unflattering pastel sweater his mother bought him for Xmas.

You are a hoot Dmitri!!

One can only imagine what it was like around the TOYBar with this group!!

You are a hoot Dmitri!!

One can only imagine what it was like around the TOYBar with this group!!

I just burst out laughing on a conference call (too bad I forgot to put the phone back on mute before reading Dimitri's posting) . . . did you guys keep Chad up all night at the Toybar? No wonder Jim was lazy all day! its clear what happens on SD stays on SD . . . just a couple weeks later no one told any tales about you wild and crazy folks.

FT

Edited by frequent traveler