SD II November 29, ST. Maarten/San Juan, preview/review

Jim Avery

I just burst out laughing on a conference call (too bad I forgot to put the phone back on mute before reading Dimitri's posting) . . . did you guys keep Chad up all night at the Toybar? No wonder Jim was lazy all day! its clear what happens on SD stays on SD . . . just a couple weeks later no one told any tales about you wild and crazy folks.

FT

Only a few tales. Hey, we are all waiting for you to arrange a CC charter, FT. Maybe a 5 day round trip out of Miami. Do we really care if it stops anywhere? That might hold the cost down. Surely would be a great group.:D

Only a few tales. Hey, we are all waiting for you to arrange a CC charter, FT. Maybe a 5 day round trip out of Miami. Do we really care if it stops anywhere? That might hold the cost down. Surely would be a great group.:D

A cruise to no where ... I LOVE IT!! No port fees or charges.

Just need the charter Queen to look into it for us. Should be able to easily come up with 60 to 70 fellow travelers.

The Charter Queen is happy to look into it and will be glad to negotiate contract . . . etc . . . but who is the deep pocket? . . . SD management in Miami has this nasty requirement that there must be a deposit plus a Letter of Credit or full payment 90 days in advance. . . I don't think my signature will get it done and my AMEX doesn't have that kind of limit (I wish . . . maybe DJ's new Starwood does with all the points she's been racking up for the crossing). :rolleyes:

FT

The Charter Queen is happy to look into it and will be glad to negotiate contract . . . etc . . . but who is the deep pocket? . . . SD management in Miami has this nasty requirement that there must be a deposit plus a Letter of Credit or full payment 90 days in advance. . . I don't think my signature will get it done and my AMEX doesn't have that kind of limit (I wish . . . maybe DJ's new Starwood does with all the points she's been racking up for the crossing). :rolleyes:

FT

I'm of no help as we gave up the Platinum Amex as part of our belt tightening for this year ... at least that's what I tell DJ's DH my contribution was for the year:p

Bet we could do a partial charter if we had the headcount...

Bet we could do a partial charter if we had the headcount...

On the assumption it'd be an open invitation, DH & I are in. :D

How 'bout we just sail to Jost, park there and let the good times roll?

Hmmmm...I see a series of very interesting onboard blogging articles & Tweets. :eek::D

On the assumption it'd be an open invitation, DH & I are in. :D

How 'bout we just sail to Jost, park there and let the good times roll?

Hmmmm...I see a series of very interesting onboard blogging articles & Tweets. :eek::D

Not sure about just Jost, but we sure don't have to leave the BVI plus St. John!!!!:)

Not sure about just Jost, but we sure don't have to leave the BVI plus St. John!!!!:)

I would certainly agree with that. Prefer to depart from and return to San Juan as there are many more non stop flight locations from there than St. Thomas.

Anybody who decides to take this on will be a very brave person in my view; however, I will say that if this gets off the ground we would do what we could to participate.

Agree with zqvol on the BVIs and St. John. Also agree with ctbjr that embarking and disembarking from SJU is preferred.

I suspect we are looking at an existing itinerary as we won't have the numbers for a charter. Thoughts?

Agree with zqvol on the BVIs and St. John. Also agree with ctbjr that embarking and disembarking from SJU is preferred.

I suspect we are looking at an existing itinerary as we won't have the numbers for a charter. Thoughts?

While SJU may be preferred, for us, calendar is an issue -- so take a look at Voyage 21110, SDII, March 5, 2011, St. Thomas to St. Thomas.

FT

As FT has alluded to, getting the numbers for a charter/partial charter does not seem to be the problem--its scheduling. Using just FT/ZQVOL and Lois & I as examples, FT/ZQVOL, understandably need to count on days when school is out. Lois and I strongly avoid those time periods as that is when you stand a chance of sharing SeaDream with kids. Not for us. Also, St. Thomas is a "no fly zone" for us. Until that airport zoo changes completely, we will not go there by air. So, that only partially illustrates the logistics potential problems for just 2 couples. It will take considerable planning to work for 40-50 couples. What we were hoping for is the CC crowd on a more easy to get to schedule (possibly cheaper) such as R/T Miami with a stop or two in the Bahamas or possibly R/T Charleston to Bermuda. Sea days and a port! Keep those ideas coming as I know I want to sail with old friends again as well as meeting all the good CCers met here on the boards.

Stay Warm.

J & L.

Edited by Jim Avery

As FT has alluded to, getting the numbers for a charter/partial charter does not seem to be the problem--its scheduling. Using just FT/ZQVOL and Lois & I as examples, FT/ZQVOL, understandably need to count on days when school is out. Lois and I strongly avoid those time periods as that is when you stand a chance of sharing SeaDream with kids. Not for us. Also, St. Thomas is a "no fly zone" for us. Until that airport zoo changes completely, we will not go there by air. So, that only partially illustrates the logistics potential problems for just 2 couples. It will take considerable planning to work for 40-50 couples. What we were hoping for is the CC crowd on a more easy to get to schedule (possibly cheaper) such as R/T Miami with a stop or two in the Bahamas or possibly R/T Charleston to Bermuda. Sea days and a port! Keep those ideas coming as I know I want to sail with old friends again as well as meeting all the good CCers met here on the boards.

Stay Warm.

J & L.

Think college break Jim for our schedule, not Easter Break . . . and having been on board with a few children v. misbehaving adults our last voyage, I'll take the children any time. I don't think with the current pricing that we have any danger of repeating the voyage we had several years ago.

Ft

Think college break Jim for our schedule, not Easter Break . . . and having been on board with a few children v. misbehaving adults our last voyage, I'll take the children any time. I don't think with the current pricing that we have any danger of repeating the voyage we had several years ago.

Ft

I don't know, FT. It has happened since. Misbehaving adults happen anywhere. SD markets itself as "couples". Does that mean pairs of children? (Talk about thread drift:eek:)

J.

There is a seminar for travel industry folks on charters this week (I think -and hope I didn't miss it!) If it is, I'll sign up for it and see what the story is. There are definitely some "deals" for groups out there and maybe that is the path to take? Jim - we're in if a group wants to plan something....and Lois is going......I'll bet we can get Meg and Phillip too.

There is a seminar for travel industry folks on charters this week (I think -and hope I didn't miss it!) If it is, I'll sign up for it and see what the story is. There are definitely some "deals" for groups out there and maybe that is the path to take? Jim - we're in if a group wants to plan something....and Lois is going......I'll bet we can get Meg and Phillip too.

Go learn something, Gantt.:D Between you and Frequent Traveler, there should be some way to work this out. SeaDream is calling. My withdrawal is getting worse. Help.:eek:

Hey you Guy's,

Hubbie and I don't know any of you yet but,:) the electricity on this thread is really making us excited for our cruise...Jan 31st.

We have been on Royal caribbean, Norweigen in Hawaii(which we hated)not Hawaii, the boat. and our first cruise way back called Chandris.

But this! seems to take on a whole new meaning for you guy's.

WHAT GIVES! :cool:

Hey you Guy's,

Hubbie and I don't know any of you yet but,:) the electricity on this thread is really making us excited for our cruise...Jan 31st.

We have been on Royal caribbean, Norweigen in Hawaii(which we hated)not Hawaii, the boat. and our first cruise way back called Chandris.

Just a bunch of SeaDream junkies. Try it--you will like it. In fact, you certainly show potential to become addicted like the rest of us.

J & L.

Hey you Guy's,

Once you have been there you will understand, plus we are all a little bit crazy!