Nat Geo Show with the Indy in it.

bilyclub

I was at a friend's house last night at 10:15 pm and saw that a program entitled "World's Largest Cruise Ship" was going to be on at 11 on NatGeo. My partner went to our friend's computer and arranged to have our TiVo record it, since we couldn't stay at our friend's house until midnight.

I'll be watching it this weekend. I thought it might be about Oasis, but it's a bit older and it's about the Freedom. Of course, I'm sailing on Rhapsody early next month, so they won't be comparable at all, but it will be interesting to see how they're constructed.

--Michael

Hate to ruin your weekend Mike but the show didn't show any construction at all. More of what goes on behind the sceens on a weekly cruise. Still worth watching. There is another show floating around out there about the construction aspect of the Freedom Class ships. It showed the Liberty during construction. Far more interesting IMO. I think it was HD Theater.

Rob

Hate to ruin your weekend Mike but the show didn't show any construction at all. More of what goes on behind the sceens on a weekly cruise. Still worth watching. There is another show floating around out there about the construction aspect of the Freedom Class ships. It showed the Liberty during construction. Far more interesting IMO. I think it was HD Theater.

Rob

Don't think we're talking the same show here....the one shown on UK Satellite TV was focusing on the change of construction of ships over history.... called BIG, BIGGER, BIGGEST.... not watched all of it yet but what I've seen certainly dealt mostly with that.....

Don't think we're talking the same show here....the one shown on UK Satellite TV was focusing on the change of construction of ships over history.... called BIG, BIGGER, BIGGEST.... not watched all of it yet but what I've seen certainly dealt mostly with that.....

Nope, different show. This one had no construction at all. Just a look at what when on during a New Years Week cruise. I think the show is called Man Made. The biggest cruise ship. I'd much rather see the one your watching.

TV info implied it was the program about FOS first New Year's cruise, but in fact it featured IOS in the Caribbean. It traced the growth of cruise ships from Brunel's Great Western, Great Britain, SS Normandie, Queen Mary through to IOS. Is concentrated on several aspects of improvements, from paddle wheels to propellers to the azipods on IOS, stabilisers, grand indoor spaces like the Royal Promenade to safety aspects showing that the lifeboats on IOS each carry 150 passengers.

Was very interesting.

"Big, Bigger, Biggest" last night on National Geographic was facinating.

It was very interesting to see the developments over the years and at the same time see Independence during it's construction. They explained how they manage having tons of water in the swimming pools so high on the ship, the stabilisation, the propulsion and the safety etc... the Chief Engineer on the Independence showed a lot of the "works" of the ship and the Captain spoke from the bridge. Throughout there were wonderful shots of her in the Carribean and of her interior areas. They did refer to the Independence as the "biggest cruise ship in the world" although it is a new programme only released this year (I checked the credits at the end for the year).

I think there is 3 shows out there - the one about FOS at New year's - Ken Rush features quite heavily in that one.

Then there is one called - extreme engineering (I think) - that one is a Nat Geo american one and the guy is at Turku and all over the ship & there is a lot of behind the scenes footage.

The IOS one is Big, Bigger, Biggest - cool to see if you have been on the ship - we were lucky to get a bridge tour on our B2B in March - but it said on the program that it's home port for the carribean was San Juan - unless we missed something big time the home port was Port Everglades!

Big, Bigger, Biggest is on Sky Anytime (UK) for a few days longer. I watched it earlier this evening. I've seen it before, possibly when I was at home daytime a few months ago.

Could watch it again though, it is fascinating... and I was there and going again! :)

Archived