Another gratuity question?

The whole tipping argument is crap. You should because thats what is expected.

I wish it was automatic and included, as it was on my last Silversea cruise that included everything. The level of food, accommadations, service was much better than Mass Market Cruises, so I paid one price and got cruise, food, tips, alcohol, air, transfers, room service, entertainment all included.

If you dont like to tip, look at some that include everything, or book through a travel agent that will pay your gratuities for you.

You hit this on the head! The problem is RCI isn't Silversea and a lot of RCI pax here on CC wish it was Silversea, but don't want to put up the $.

And I'll bet the people who don't want to put up the $ are the exact ones fussing about formal nights and dress in the dining room and elsewhere on the ship. Problem is, they want Ritz Carlton accommodations and service at a Holiday Inn price. Go figure?

You get what you pay for. You don't get high end if you're paying mass market fares. If you don't want to pay for it, then shut up. If you do pay for it, it doesn't matter. End of discussion?

The question was "if not eating in the MDR would you tip the MDR" and my answer is NO. It doesn't matter what anybody else does, I answered the question asked. I won't convince anyone to not tip for services not rendered anymore then you wll convince me to tip people I never met and didn't render service.

People should just answer the questions :eek:

The question was "if not eating in the MDR would you tip the MDR" and my answer is NO. It doesn't matter what anybody else does, I answered the question asked. I won't convince anyone to not tip for services not rendered anymore then you wll convince me to tip people I never met and didn't render service.

If you can't afford the tips, you should just stay home! Count me in as one who wishes RCCL would just go to mandatory tips and allow people to tip above and beyond for those who provide extraordinary service. As others have said, everyone is assigned a wait staff, the tips are pooled, and then split. If you ever take the time to speak with some of the waitstaff, you'll find that they work very long hours, 7 days per week. The persons cleaning up the MDR after the late dinner seating (maybe working until midnight) are the same folks getting up at 5 AM to make sure your breakfast in the WJ is to your liking. They all have specific duties, whether it be serving you specifically, wraping the silverware, setting the tables, tending the buffet, clearing the tables, getting tea/coffee/lemonade in the WJ, etc. The staff depends on the customers tipping at least the suggested amounts.

im also a university student low on cash,

and whats the point of having my room cleaned twice daily if there is nothing to clean. towels is part of job, so my tips will solely be based on service needed

If you are that low on cash, then perhaps you cannot afford to go... Or are you trying to save your cash for your bar tab???:confused:

To base your tips based solely on service needed is cheap... and selfish...

Someday when you are finished with school and have grown up and entered the real world where people work for a living perhaps you will understand and appreciate how to play in a civilized society...:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by colinmc123 viewpost.gif

im also a university student low on cash,

and whats the point of having my room cleaned twice daily if there is nothing to clean. towels is part of job, so my tips will solely be based on service needed.

Until service personnel are paid a fair wage for their work, your tips are needed for them to earn a living wage. If you can not afford to tip, or are looking for excuses to not partcipate in the economic system as it is presently designed, you should delay your cruise until you have saved a little more so that you can appropriately compensate all of the parties who are working to give you the vacation experience you desire. The recommended tip, just like the 15% in a restaurant, is for good service.

The only problem I have with prepaid gratuites is: "what if you really do get a dud?" For this reason I usually wait unitl the mid-point of the cruise to charge my gratuities. In five cruises I've had one bad employee: a headwaiter whom we never saw. We gave him half the recommended amount and then increased what we gave to our waiters and Stateroom Attendant.

Actually, there are many restaurants that have a mandatory service charge so if you "choose" to go to one of those establishments, you give up that "right to tip as much as they want, when they want, and to who they want".

RCCL has the "right" to establish a mandatory service charge if they want to. It's their company. They have actually already done this if you "choose" to elect "My Time Dining". Look how popular "My Time Dining" has become. You don't get to demand "My Time Dining" and refuse to prepay your tips.

RCCL could easily decide to go fleet wide with a mandatory service charge if they choose to. You have the right to either continue to sail with RCCL. Pick another line, pick another vacation, or just sit at home looking at all that money you saved (@ $21 per person for the dining part of a 7 day cruise) with a big grin on your face thinking "Wow - just think of all the things I can get with $21".

I think your attack attitude is very misplaced...My point which you don't seem to understand is that each person should have a "choice" whether to include prepaid tips or pay them in cash at the end of their cruise..."CHOICE"...what's there to understand ? This system has worked well..so why change it because a few people don't get it....Mandatory service charge and tips are not the same thing...ask any waiter what they would choose ?

Again, I am puzzled about why you think the dining room staff are the only people you should tip. On my RCCL cruises the staff in the Windjammer and Solarium are not invisible. They are flesh and blood, real live people, working their butts off to make my experience nice. They are "RENDERING SERVICE". So, by tipping the requested amount, EVEN IF YOU HAND THE TIP TO THE DINING ROOM STAFF, you are participating in all the wait staff earning their living.

What am I missing here? Oh..........methinks YOU are missing something here; it would be "the point" that you do not want to acknowledge.

Instead of weak logic and bogus justifications about not tipping people that DO render service, DO work to make your cruise wonderful, and DO deserve a tip, why don't you just admit that you don't want to tip the requested amount and leave it at that?

For the price you pay for Silversea, that could certainly be expected. The Mass Market lines will never try to compete with Silversea, Seaborne, etc. I would love to be able to afford that, but until I win the lottery (not likely since I don't gamble), I'll just continue to enjoy the mass market lines and tip not only the suggested amount, but above that for excellent service.

Actually you might be suprised as I was. You can see by my signature that I have enjoyed some RCCL cruises and keep going back. This past Oct. I found a deal on Silversea (Iam not comparing the two as they are totally different products) but to show how it breaks down to a really cost effective purchase. I was on Silversea for nine nights which included cruise,air, tips, alcohol, transfers, and 500 OBC. So when you factor the price of air, transfers, OBC, bar, ect the per deim rate of SS was very comparable to sailing on RCCL, and I did not have to worry aobut tips at the end of the cruise. To anwser the OP question YES I would still tip even if I "Choose" to dine at the WJ, although I avoid the WJ at all costs. Make sure you do your homework before deciding that SS or another luxury line is out of reach. For instance, after doing the math on that particular voyage on SS my per deim expense was in the 200 range per day, which included a 25% single Supp, as I went solo. Granted not all of their voyages are that great of a deal, but if you hunt for them they are out there.

You hit this on the head! The problem is RCI isn't Silversea and a lot of RCI pax here on CC wish it was Silversea, but don't want to put up the $.

And I'll bet the people who don't want to put up the $ are the exact ones fussing about formal nights and dress in the dining room and elsewhere on the ship. Problem is, they want Ritz Carlton accommodations and service at a Holiday Inn price. Go figure?

You get what you pay for. You don't get high end if you're paying mass market fares. If you don't want to pay for it, then shut up. If you do pay for it, it doesn't matter. End of discussion?

Agree totally.

Cheep,Cheep.

IF you don't eat in the MDR by choice (eating in Pay-to-Eat, JR (leaving an additional tip), Room Service (tip), Buffet -- (i.e. here and there includig port) -- BUT still want to tip the MDR staff you never met -- to whom do you give the envelope? We recently eat only twice in the MDR by choice (we were enjoying eating elsewhere, early and late, for a change) and on the last day we gave the envelopes to the head waiter at the door. He asked why we didn't eat in the MDR each night (meaning we were dissatified with anything).

So, our question is: if you don't use the MDR but want to tip, to whom do you give the tip? If cash to Buffet personnel -- do they share?

Sorry but that wasn't the question. The question was not WOULD you tip, but SHOULD you tip.

The answer is yes you SHOULD, but obviously not everyone does the right thing.

Okay. I'm new here and pretty much new to cruising. I have only been on one cruise in my life and it was a carnival cruise at 16, so i have no memory of tipping protocol (but my parents are cheap so i'm not even sure that they did).

But i'm completely confused after reading this thread. My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon trip on the oasis in the future, and i thought at first that all gratuity's were either included or you could pre pay them. After reading this, I'm guessing thats not the case.

So now i'm wondering HOW you tip your waitstaff and room services and how much do you know to leave... do you just leave money on your pillow? Or do you leave money at the table even during the formal dinners? Or can you do it from your cabin card?

I'm sorry if these questions seem silly but this will be our first cruise and we just want to make sure we have everything planned.

Okay. I'm new here and pretty much new to cruising. I have only been on one cruise in my life and it was a carnival cruise at 16, so i have no memory of tipping protocol (but my parents are cheap so i'm not even sure that they did).

But i'm completely confused after reading this thread. My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon trip on the oasis in the future, and i thought at first that all gratuity's were either included or you could pre pay them. After reading this, I'm guessing thats not the case.

So now i'm wondering HOW you tip your waitstaff and room services and how much do you know to leave... do you just leave money on your pillow? Or do you leave money at the table even during the formal dinners? Or can you do it from your cabin card?

I'm sorry if these questions seem silly but this will be our first cruise and we just want to make sure we have everything planned.

You can pre-pay them and that is an easy and fair way to do it, whether you plan to eat in the main dining room or not. Or at the mid point of your cruise they will give you the option of putting the gratities on your on board account. That is good too, especially if you do not wish to pre-pay. Either of those options is easy.

Have a good cruise.

Emily Post is referring to a land based restaurant not a ship. I will follow what I believe to be civilized. Service equals gratuity no services doesn't. Opionions are to shared on this board not ridiculed. The more you flame someone the more they will dig their heels in and not listen.

"No service?"

Exactly how does that food get prepared? Exactly how does it show up in a way that you can get at it? are you preparing all your own meals in the comfort of your cabin? I don't think so.

You're ripping people off and trying to justify it. No Go, Joe.

Hi

Do the staff actually know you have prepaid - do you get a badge or something!??:D

A waiter told us a couple of years ago, that he does know, and your tip automatically goes into HIS on board account. The slip that is delivered to you room, which you can place in an envelope, is just a means for you to confirm your tip, maybe add more, and helps the waiter reconcile his account..

The auto tips are applied to the waiter looking after the table to which you are assigned, as per your seapass card.

Head waiters, assistants, and room attendants, tips are handled the same way.

To reiterate on other posts, YOUR waiter also works buffets, breakfasts, and lunches, and the auto tip covers him wherever he may be assigned during your trip ..

It isn't really hard to understand, even when we come from a country where tipping is not the "norm". It is the "norm" on most US cruise ships, as it is when on land in USA, so, "when in Rome..........." etc. Dont stress, about it, just do it, and enjoy your cruise. :)

We always prepay the suggested amount when we book. That takes care of all tipping for everyone. Also we don't have to mess with carring cash.

Maybe you parents were not 'cheap' but just good money mangers. ;)

Hello there,

Before I start I want to let you know that I am going on the mariner next week and I have pre-paid my tips!!!!!! just one less thing to worry about.

Anyway I am a travel agent and I have a co worker who worked on rcl ships and just recently stopped working for them and started with our company, I asked her if indeed the worker on the ship are paid $50 a day and she said yes BUT when you take into account how much they are tipped they make a very very decent salary otherwise they would not be on a ship away from family from anywhere 6 months to 1 year. So I will share with you what she told me. So for example your room steward they make $50 a day x 7 = $350 x 4= $1400 for the month plus plus they get roughly 20 cabins in 1 week so based on 2 double that's $3.50x2=$7x7days=$49x20 cabins=$980x4 weeks=3920 plus $1400 (the $50 per day salary you are looking at $5320 per month tax free usd dollars!!!!! and that is based on double just imagaine how much it would be for triples or quads or suites the reason I did the the math for double is just for those people that are going to post and say not all people tip so just left it at Double to off set for the people who don't tip!!!!!!

And these people who work on these ships for the most part are from developing countries like india,china,indonessia phillephenes and some who could never make this kind of mnoey back home. To add to that They don't have to pay for room and board and food!!!!!!! That's alot of money!!!!! I am sorry to say if these people choose to work on these ships away from their families then it is their problem not mine but they are no way are being cheated by the cruise lines. Don't get me wrong but if you are expected to tip then do it I did but please don't make poeple feel sorry for the crew beacause they are not being paid enough!!!!!! My post is getting long so I will not include the example for wait staff.

Please do not FLAME on me I just wanted to let people know the truth, you may agree or disagree the choice is yours. If I have insulted or offended anyone my appologies!!!!! I had benn thinking for a while If I should post this But decided to do so because I am tired of people arguing over TIPPING when they don't know all the true facts.

Vicky

If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them, Don't get me wrong I am not saying don't tip but I am saying don't feel sorry for the staff they choose to work in that environment.

When you have your tips automatically added to your shipboard account, you will receive a set of vouchers and envelopes. You can put the vouchers in the envelopes and hand them to the appropriate person, or you can just let the money to into their company account. They know ahead of time who has prepaid, so it's not like you're ignoring them. This is the easiest way.

You can add cash to the envelope for super duper service, too....or not. It's at your discretion.

If you booked directly with RCCL then you can prepay online before the cruise. Otherwise, there will be a notice in your cabin to sign if you want to have them added to your account. The notice shows up around the 4th day.

Don't be confused by people that give flimsy justifications about why they shouldn't or don't tip. This has been the cruise industry's crew income source since the mid-1960's. They may start including it in the price of the cruise, but they haven't yet.

Hello there,

Before I start I want to let you know that I am going on the mariner next week and I have pre-paid my tips!!!!!! just one less thing to worry about.

Anyway I am a travel agent and I have a co worker who worked on rcl ships and just recently stopped working for them and started with our company, I asked her if indeed the worker on the ship are paid $50 a day and she said yes BUT when you take into account how much they are tipped they make a very very decent salary otherwise they would not be on a ship away from family from anywhere 6 months to 1 year. So I will share with you what she told me. So for example your room steward they make $50 a day x 7 = $350 x 4= $1400 for the month plus plus they get roughly 20 cabins in 1 week so based on 2 double that's $3.50x2=$7x7days=$49x20 cabins=$980x4 weeks=3920 plus $1400 (the $50 per day salary you are looking at $5320 per month tax free usd dollars!!!!! and that is based on double just imagaine how much it would be for triples or quads or suites the reason I did the the math for double is just for those people that are going to post and say not all people tip so just left it at Double to off set for the people who don't tip!!!!!!

And these people who work on these ships for the most part are from developing countries like india,china,indonessia phillephenes and some who could never make this kind of mnoey back home. To add to that They don't have to pay for room and board and food!!!!!!! That's alot of money!!!!! I am sorry to say if these people choose to work on these ships away from their families then it is their problem not mine but they are no way are being cheated by the cruise lines. Don't get me wrong but if you are expected to tip then do it I did but please don't make poeple feel sorry for the crew beacause they are not being paid enough!!!!!! My post is getting long so I will not include the example for wait staff.

Please do not FLAME on me I just wanted to let people know the truth, you may agree or disagree the choice is yours. If I have insulted or offended anyone my appologies!!!!! I had benn thinking for a while If I should post this But decided to do so because I am tired of people arguing over TIPPING when they don't know all the true facts.

Vicky

If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them, Don't get me wrong I am not saying don't tip but I am saying don't feel sorry for the staff they choose to work in that environment.

Thanks Vicky,I understand what you are saying...I seem to get the impression from onboard staff that they love and value the opportunity to do the work they are..if not they finish their contract and go home...but it seems the majority of them are long time employees..Given the chance how many people would want to do the job they do...I think more than a few...

OK, so the room steward makes $64,000 - $80,000 a year, estimating. They also have to pay for their own uniforms and also one way air from home. RCCL pays the other way.

That seems like a lot of money, but we must all understand that these people work 12 - 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 5 months.

They work hard, work away from their families for months at a time, live in very cramped quarters, and get paid well. It's a good trade-off.

Thanks for the information, superstarvic!

Hello there' date='

! I am sorry to say [b']if these people[/b] choose to work on these ships away from their families then it is their problem not mine but they are no way are being cheated by the cruise lines. .

No apologies needed but every time I read this statement I get ill and wish to cancel my next cruise. I am from one of those developing countries (Jamaica) and in order to survive my parent migrated, which meant I grew up without the actual care of a mother. How much do you think that is worth to the child and the parent who made that decision. Now do the math and factor in the actual cost, that I hope you may never have to pay. Like it or not you are right, " these people choose to work on these ships away from their families (and children) then it is their problem" .

Let's all go ahead and thank them because without that decision, this industry would still be for the wealthy. If you can't see beyond the dollar bill, some here can't, then I doubt you will ever have an idea of the true cost.

To continue the Math: 12 hrs days X 7 days per week = 336 pr month per month. $5320 / 336 = 15.83 per hr...correct?. This much per hour serving someone who thinks it's not their problem they left their family and kids behind. Some jobs come with all kind of benefits:rolleyes: I know for a fact they have certain expenses, but that's their problem.

IMOP...your Math still has the industry floating on the sweat of cheap labor.

I have only one question, what was the employee's country of origin? No FLAME intended, I am 2kool4dat. Just wanted to share a real truth from the off-spring these people!

Happy Cruising!

The country of orgin was " India " And i am sorry if I sounded mean in saying it's not my problem. I am also from India. Born and raised in canada, my parents also left their home country so they can make a betterlife for them and their children. I know many famlies that for ever reason have to leave their families to make a better life and don't forgot the men and women who serve my country and your country and also work in tight cramped quarters working long long days for years at a time with a decent salary they don't get tipped for service they provide to the nation and ulitimately many have paid the price of their life fop your freedom. Any how everybody has there own circumstances to deal with so whatever people decide to do with their lives then sorry to say it is their problem, put it in the niciest way possible

Archived