Another gratuity question?

I wasn't mentioning the crew working away from their families to garner sympathy. In my profession (contract project manager) it's common to receive an extra amount in your hourly rate if there is a "hardship" circumstance like commuting by plane to and from the client site. So, I think the salary we estimated above is fair considering the hardship factor.

The decision to work away from one's family is purely a personal choice. Over the decades I've cruised I have heard many times how the crew members gladly do this because they can provide their children, spouses, and extended family a much better standard of living, and especially the education for their children.

On our recent Rhapsody cruise one assistant waiter was finishing up his 4th contract, going back to China with his savings, and starting a clothing design business.

Our assistant waiter has a 9 year old son who lives with his maternal grandparents. He is not married to his son's mother, and he works for RCCL to provide a good education for his son in the Phillipines.

They do choose the lifestyle, and some have worked for RCCL for 20 - 25 years. All the more reason to reward their hard work with THEIR TIP INCOME, right????

The country of orgin was " India " And i am sorry if I sounded mean in saying it's not my problem. I am also from India. Born and raised in canada' date=' my parents also left their home country so they can make a betterlife for them and their children. I know many famlies that for ever reason have to leave their families to make a better life and [b']don't forgot the men and women who serve my country and your country and also work in tight cramped quarters working long long days for years at a time with a decent salary they don't get tipped for service they provide to the nation and ulitimately many have paid the price of their life fop your freedom[/b]. Any how everybody has there own circumstances to deal with so whatever people decide to do with their lives then sorry to say it is their problem, put it in the niciest way possible

Let's all thank those who leave their families behind missing weddings, graduation, births, and even funerals so we don't have to. Their problem, their choice, their decision but we do benefit...don't we? Yes, DH served in the US Army so I know about that too. I can assure you he would never consider the honor of serving his country in any condition to serving spoil tourists on a cruise ship. By no means knocking these jobs, they benefit people who are dying to survive in their homelands.

Lets say the military has earned our gratitude and the servers our gratuity!

We should be thankful, yes, that because of the relatively cheap cost of labor, cruises are more affordable. However, if I look at the other side of the argument, they should also be thankful to cruise passengers, for without the service they demand, there would be no cruise jobs available.

In the western standard, the labor is indeed cheap, but then, from their countries of origin, their labor would have been cheaper. A cruise ship job, it seems to me, is the best of the alternatives presented.

These people are hard workers and they are well-compensated for it. It may not be nominally comparable to western salaries, but, from where they came from, their salaries provide well for their families.

In the Philippines, to get a cruise job, you have to go through a recruitment company (since foreign companies cannot hire directly if job is based overseas) and pay a placement fee. Depending on the position one is applying for, the fee can be hefty. Even with the fee, people line up (a friend of mine was put on a waitlist to work as a photographer). It goes to show how they really want these jobs.

Hello there,

Before I start I want to let you know that I am going on the mariner next week and I have pre-paid my tips!!!!!! just one less thing to worry about.

Anyway I am a travel agent and I have a co worker who worked on rcl ships and just recently stopped working for them and started with our company, I asked her if indeed the worker on the ship are paid $50 a day and she said yes BUT when you take into account how much they are tipped they make a very very decent salary otherwise they would not be on a ship away from family from anywhere 6 months to 1 year. So I will share with you what she told me. So for example your room steward they make $50 a day x 7 = $350 x 4= $1400 for the month plus plus they get roughly 20 cabins in 1 week so based on 2 double that's $3.50x2=$7x7days=$49x20 cabins=$980x4 weeks=3920 plus $1400 (the $50 per day salary you are looking at $5320 per month tax free usd dollars!!!!! and that is based on double just imagaine how much it would be for triples or quads or suites the reason I did the the math for double is just for those people that are going to post and say not all people tip so just left it at Double to off set for the people who don't tip!!!!!!

And these people who work on these ships for the most part are from developing countries like india,china,indonessia phillephenes and some who could never make this kind of mnoey back home. To add to that They don't have to pay for room and board and food!!!!!!! That's alot of money!!!!! I am sorry to say if these people choose to work on these ships away from their families then it is their problem not mine but they are no way are being cheated by the cruise lines. Don't get me wrong but if you are expected to tip then do it I did but please don't make poeple feel sorry for the crew beacause they are not being paid enough!!!!!! My post is getting long so I will not include the example for wait staff.

Please do not FLAME on me I just wanted to let people know the truth, you may agree or disagree the choice is yours. If I have insulted or offended anyone my appologies!!!!! I had benn thinking for a while If I should post this But decided to do so because I am tired of people arguing over TIPPING when they don't know all the true facts.

Vicky

If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them, Don't get me wrong I am not saying don't tip but I am saying don't feel sorry for the staff they choose to work in that environment.

Hi Vicky,

This is incorrect for a tiny math problem:o - they make $50 a MONTH, not a DAY. I have friends that are and were waiters on ships plus I have seen a couple of contracts online if you look for them. As well, if you go onto any of the 'cruise ship employee' groups on facebook or even on the cruise ship hiring websites (I'm sure if they could lure people on board with those numbers it would be plastered all over the site, instead of the reality which is from $1000 - 2500 a month) you'll see that it is indeed $50 a MONTH, not DAY. That is the truth and those are the facts..... Please feel free to look that up anywhere online.

To anyone that read Vicky's post and isn't familiar with the actual pay of the service staff please know she is incorrect. Look it up online anywhere if you are unsure but please don't be under the false impression that they make $60,000+ a year - it isn't true.

There are so many conflicting views on tipping and people say they earn this they earn that, it would be good for somebody to post some hard evidence to solve the problem once and for all. Not sure what we would all argue about then though. LOL.:)

Lol - I'm sure we would still find plenty to argue about!:p Here are just some articles I found:

http://mployd.com/job.php?id=10216

http://www.eturbonews.com/8028/introduction-world-cruise-ship-career-who-earns-what-and-how-get-

http://waiterextraordinaire.blogspot.com/2009/04/working-in-dining-room-on-cruiseship.html

http://www.cruiselinejob.com/food.htm

Hi Vicky,

This is incorrect for a tiny math problem:o - they make $50 a MONTH, not a DAY. I have friends that are and were waiters on ships plus I have seen a couple of contracts online if you look for them. As well, if you go onto any of the 'cruise ship employee' groups on facebook or even on the cruise ship hiring websites (I'm sure if they could lure people on board with those numbers it would be plastered all over the site, instead of the reality which is from $1000 - 2500 a month) you'll see that it is indeed $50 a MONTH, not DAY. That is the truth and those are the facts..... Please feel free to look that up anywhere online.

To anyone that read Vicky's post and isn't familiar with the actual pay of the service staff please know she is incorrect. Look it up online anywhere if you are unsure but please don't be under the false impression that they make $60,000+ a year - it isn't true.

Thanks for your post Luckyprincess. I think you're well more in line with $50-$100 per month. With the state of today's economy and unemployment over 10% in the US, I think if cruiseline employees were indeed making $60,000 per year, you'd see a lot of Americans vying for those positions. In reality, the waiters, cabin stewards, etc. rely on gratuities. Most send money back home to their families. The $1000-2500 per month isn't a lot here in the states, but in their home countries, it's a lot of money and worth the sacrafice to be away from family, etc. for 6 months at a time.

For one cruise my wife and I decided to skip the MDR. I think we did 5 our of 7 days at Portafino, one Windjammer, and one Johnny Rockets. Day 1 I went to the MDR during the mid afternoon and told them we would be giving up out table spot. Then at each meal, I tipped where we ate. I ended up tipping quite a bit more than I would have in the MDR when it was all said and done, but gave the tips to those who actually worked for me. They earned it, they got the money. Guess it's the Republican in me.

I don't feel it is any of my business how much a person makes, on a ship, in my office, at a restaurant, at a retailer. The custom is to tip, and so I do, at least the min suggested. If there is a personnel problem, I report it. If there is Above and Beyond service, I report that, too.

In these posts about how much staff earn, there is no allowance for Overtime and Holiday Pay. But we should be very clear that they EARN this money, whatever the numbers. While they do receive room and board, how many of you would share a tiny cabin for months with someone you've never met?

Just tip. It's not a lot of money per passenger, but makes a difference in volume if too many people cheap out.

Hi thanks, some are a bit old though and one is a blog someone has written, I dont always believe what they say. It would be good to get a RC pay scale, anyone?? I will nose around when I get time. Im not saying I dont believe you or anyone else, it would be good to find the absolute truth on what they earn.

I don't feel it is any of my business how much a person makes, on a ship, in my office, at a restaurant, at a retailer. The custom is to tip, and so I do, at least the min suggested. If there is a personnel problem, I report it. If there is Above and Beyond service, I report that, too.

In these posts about how much staff earn, there is no allowance for Overtime and Holiday Pay. But we should be very clear that they EARN this money, whatever the numbers. While they do receive room and board, how many of you would share a tiny cabin for months with someone you've never met?

Just tip. It's not a lot of money per passenger, but makes a difference in volume if too many people cheap out.

If people go around saying they rely on tips and they on earn blah blah then its no different to wanting to really know if thats the truth and what they do earn.

And as far as sharing a room etc.......... come on please, they choose to do this and if they come from a very poor background as most people say, then thats probably luxury to them. Most the staff I spoke to say they have a pretty good life on board but do miss their family's, but then again so do my DD's when they have to work away from home, its called life!! We make these choices. Dont think Im hard because thats one thing Im not, I give a good amount to charity to countries where people are starving etc. But cruise staff dont do too bad.

I think the point that was trying to be made is to educate and understand that the staff who serve us rely on gratuities to earn a living wage and not a quest to find out how much people make. These folks work 180, 14-16 days straight and have to put up with a lot of high maintenance people of varying cultures. And, they do so for the most part with a smile on their face and an eagerness to please. Either that, or there won't be a second contract for them.

Just because tipping is "customary" is not a reason to tip, IMHO. I personally tip for service and the amount is dependent upon the level of service. Then again, tipping is a personal thing.

As for AMR40509's post- seems like he's in the minority who never show up at the MDR. And in his case, I think he handled his gratuities very appropriately. And remember too, your gratuities are included in the extra charge at Chop's and Portofino's.

My facts are not incorrrect. My co worker just got of the ship beacause she wanted to start a family. She had been working on rccl ships for 6 yrs and she made hundreds of freinds in her career and she first handed sais that it is $50 a day. How can you say that the contracts can be found online? Thesecontravts people sign are confidentiAL DOCUMENTS!!!!! Maybe there might be contracts out there but are they real. The only thing I cando is get her to actually post hear and tell you folks, wait let me see if I can get her. I am at workright know.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share with you that I am superstarvic's co worker and what she posted was correct. I just got of the ship in January 2009. And if you don'tbeleive us then your issues, I don't have to prove anything to anyone We know what thetruth is!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

There are so many conflicting views on tipping and people say they earn this they earn that, it would be good for somebody to post some hard evidence to solve the problem once and for all. Not sure what we would all argue about then though. LOL.:)

Why does anyone need solid evidence about how much these people make? Its irrelevant.

The cruiseline has given passengers very clear instructions on who to tip and how much. If people choose not to follow those instructions the staff suffer. Its really not complicated at all. In fact its dead simple.

If, after being told what is expected people still don't get it, they are, more than likely, just looking for excuses not to pay the staff.

Whether or not we SHOULD be paying the staff is another question altogether, but as its set up now, despite calling it tips or gratuities, we do pay the staff.

If people go around saying they rely on tips and they on earn blah blah then its no different to wanting to really know if thats the truth and what they do earn.

And as far as sharing a room etc.......... come on please, they choose to do this and if they come from a very poor background as most people say, then thats probably luxury to them. Most the staff I spoke to say they have a pretty good life on board but do miss their family's, but then again so do my DD's when they have to work away from home, its called life!! We make these choices. Dont think Im hard because thats one thing Im not, I give a good amount to charity to countries where people are starving etc. But cruise staff dont do too bad.

Agree it's a choice, but people saying "Free room and board" need to consider the board - tiny shared cabin. Has value, most definitely, but not the private accomodations I would want for myself.

I did a lot of consulting at one point which was quite lucrative, and had some downsides (which is why it was lucrative). I was there by choice, and I left it by choice.

Why do es anyone need solid evidence about how much these people make? Its irrelevant.

The cruiseline has given passengers very clear instructions on who to tip and how much. If people choose not to follow those instructions the staff suffer. Its really not complicated at all.

thank you. that's exactly where I am on it.

For one cruise my wife and I decided to skip the MDR. I think we did 5 our of 7 days at Portafino, one Windjammer, and one Johnny Rockets. Day 1 I went to the MDR during the mid afternoon and told them we would be giving up out table spot. Then at each meal, I tipped where we ate. I ended up tipping quite a bit more than I would have in the MDR when it was all said and done, but gave the tips to those who actually worked for me. They earned it, they got the money. Guess it's the Republican in me.

So tipping above and beyond is now an exclusively Republican trait? Way to go dude. You just gave all those cheap-skates a new excuse.

But what do I know? Im not from "Real America". I only live in the part that started the revolution. You know? The fake part!

My facts are not incorrrect. My co worker just got of the ship beacause she wanted to start a family. She had been working on rccl ships for 6 yrs and she made hundreds of freinds in her career and she first handed sais that it is $50 a day. How can you say that the contracts can be found online? Thesecontravts people sign are confidentiAL DOCUMENTS!!!!! Maybe there might be contracts out there but are they real. The only thing I cando is get her to actually post hear and tell you folks, wait let me see if I can get her. I am at workright know.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share with you that I am superstarvic's co worker and what she posted was correct. I just got of the ship in January 2009. And if you don'tbeleive us then your issues, I don't have to prove anything to anyone We know what thetruth is!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Well... if Superstarvic and friend are correct, then I'm not feeling too sorry for "tipped" staff. Based on her "calculations" cabin stewards and waiters would make on average the equivalent of about $85k/year (taking into consideration they receive suggested tips and the US tax free benefit) + room and board. Not bad... and good for them.

To address another poster, the cruise line does not give you "instuctions" on who and what amount to tip. Rather they are "guidelines" that the cruise line has developed so that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined.

What happens if my vacation was just what I imagined or fell a little short??? :D Just kidding.

On another note, why do so many people take "suggestions" and "guidelines" to be "rules" and "instructions"? :confused:

I don't usually eat in the dining room. I much prefer the WJ. I do wish to tip the waitstaff. I have no idea who to give it to, since I'm rarely waited on by the same person. I do disagree with tipping the head waiter, for what? Schmoozing the customers?

Sorry, your coworker is incorrect. I have friends that serve onboard and it is $50 a month. Long time cruisers here that also know people on board know the cost. I have also looked into it on the websites that recruit people to work - you only have to ask. They do not make $50 a day. They don't. Sorry but that's the truth. Yes, there was a server that posted their contract with a lot redacted and it was $50 a month. Are you going to tell me that the companies that recruit people to work onboard as tipped crew are keeping the HUGE windfall of money a secret from the people that they are recruiting? How exactly would that serve them. I would really like an answer to that, please. How would it benefit the companies that staff the ships to tell EVERYONE and put into writing into their contracts that they will make around $1400 a month INCLUSIVE of tips when in (your) reality they actually make $7000??? Does that make sense to you? How would it benefit the crusie line to not tell people from third world countries that they will basically be the equivalent of millionares if they work for one year on a ship? You can't seriously think that any company would not have a huge "$7000 A MONTH COULD BE YOURS' banner flashing all over their website if that was anywhere near remotely true.

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls but this is ridiculous :rolleyes:

Why does anyone need solid evidence about how much these people make? Its irrelevant. True

The cruiseline has given passengers very clear instructions on who to tip and how much. If people choose not to follow those instructions the staff suffer. No, no instructions - suggestions onlyIts really not complicated at all. In fact its dead simple.

If, after being told what is expected not expected only suggestedpeople still don't get it, they are, more than likely, just looking for excuses not to pay the staff.

Whether or not we SHOULD be paying the staff is another question altogether, but as its set up now, despite calling it tips or gratuities, we do pay the staff.

I will always give a gratuity to those that do for me but until it really is "instructed" it's my choice.

I think the point that was trying to be made is to educate and understand that the staff who serve us rely on gratuities to earn a living wage and not a quest to find out how much people make. These folks work 180, 14-16 days straight and have to put up with a lot of high maintenance people of varying cultures. And, they do so for the most part with a smile on their face and an eagerness to please. Either that, or there won't be a second contract for them.

Just because tipping is "customary" is not a reason to tip, IMHO. I personally tip for service and the amount is dependent upon the level of service. Then again, tipping is a personal thing.

As for AMR40509's post- seems like he's in the minority who never show up at the MDR. And in his case, I think he handled his gratuities very appropriately. And remember too, your gratuities are included in the extra charge at Chop's and Portofino's.

It's closer to 10 hours a day. The major cruiselines have all lost suits regarding hours worked and are more careful these days.

I don't usually eat in the dining room. I much prefer the WJ. I do wish to tip the waitstaff. I have no idea who to give it to, since I'm rarely waited on by the same person. I do disagree with tipping the head waiter, for what? Schmoozing the customers?

You give it to your assigned MDR staff, regardless of where you eat. I know it seems a little counter-intuitive, but that is how RCCL sets it up. The MDR staff works the WJ during breakfast and lunch, also and other venues you might eat in. In tipping your waiters that are assigned to you, you have made sure to cover all the people that have served you.

The head waiter is in charge of the entire wait-staff and makes sure that the dining runs smoothly. His job is more behind the scenes, but he is imperative in making your dining experience enjoyable. Because he is in charge of the whole dining room, he is only tipped .75 pd/pp. On a seven day cruise, that amounts to less than $7.00, which is less than 1 beer.

So tipping above and beyond is now an exclusively Republican trait? Way to go dude. You just gave all those cheap-skates a new excuse.

But what do I know? Im not from "Real America". I only live in the part that started the revolution. You know? The fake part!

:p:p:p:p:p!!! Gotta love Jon Stewart.

I do not have first hand experience since I have never worked for a cruise line but below are information from friends and family of friends who worked and are working for cruise lines:

Placement fees and other incidentals: $600 - $1500. In addition, they have to apply, on their own, for a visa to go to the country where they will be joining the ship. If they get denied for a visa, for one reason or another, they have to wait and try again (6 months wait after denial for a US visa).

Monthly Salary: base of $300 -$1000 depending on cruise lines (higher end cruise line pays higher base) and position (and experience, too, sometimes). With tips, a room steward can make $1500-$2000; that is cleaning up to 20 rooms everyday. Bartenders, my friends are in agreement, tend to make more than other service staff (based on the amount of tips they get). These amounts are tax free (no taxes in the Philippines for income earned overseas while living overseas). Tips are distributed to workers after every cruise.

Archived