Passport or Passport Card?

sgmburt

This will me mine and my husband's first cruise to Alaska and I wondered if there is any reason we couldn't just get the new Passport Cards? It is half the price and I hope to get some advice. Thanks!

According to the HAL FAQ regarding Passports/Passport Cards: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Essential+Documentation&contentSubMenu=Identification+%26+Passports

PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS

Holland America Line highly recommends that all guests carry a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the completion date of your travel. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S. without significant delays and complications. Guests are responsible for all costs associated with their travel including but not limited to costs related to arrangements to obtain entry to countries they visit and re-entry to their destination country.

For U.S. and Canadian Citizens only:

Air:

A valid passport is required for all air travel except travel within the United States for US citizens and within Canada for Canadian citizens.

Sea:

For voyages that complete outside the U.S., a passport that is valid for six months beyond the completion date of your travel is required.

For voyages that begin and return to the U.S., all guests must carry one of the following documents:

• Passport
  • Passport Card
  • State Issued Enhanced Driver’s License
  • Other documents approved by the Department of Homeland Security

For a list of approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document

There is much more on the first link (HAL's FAQ) site to read that may also assist you.

Joanie

A passport card would not let you fly home in case of an emergency from any foreign country, but would be fine for an AK cruise as long as you flew from an AK port.

It would not let you fly home from Vancouver, so you would have to pick a cruise out of Seattle, or plan on a land crossing from Vancouver back to the US.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html says

The new wallet-size U.S. Passport Card is a travel document that can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Note that it cannot be used for international air travel. The passport card is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book.

I'd take the passport, personally. It's good for 10 years and I think every American citizen should be required to have one.
I agree that I wouldn't bother with the passport card. It would work for an AK cruise (unless you were Medevaced to Vancouver) but if the OP&DH wants to take a cruise anywhere else in the next 10 years they should get the booklets anyway. :)

I have both, and I have to say that I agree with what the others have posted. While a passport is more money, its good for 10 years and give you more flexibility. Also it can be used to travel to more countries, and you can return by air, which you cannot do with a passport card.

I would get the passport. The passport is good for any trip, while the Card is extremely limited. The Card is cheaper, but when you want to travel anywhere else you will need the Passport, so you are paying for both. I would in actuality, you are saving money when you get the Passport only, over buying both.

I would get the passport. The passport is good for any trip, while the Card is extremely limited. The Card is cheaper, but when you want to travel anywhere else you will need the Passport, so you are paying for both. I would in actuality, you are saving money when you get the Passport only, over buying both.
The card is a passport. It was started for the convenience of frequent land or sea border crossers between the US and Canada or Mexico, so they would not have to carry their booklet one. For anyone who fits that category, I can see the value of having both.

Actually,you may not need either one. If you are planning a closed-loop cruise (if it begins and ends in the same US port example: Seattle) you will only be required to carry US issued identification (drivers license) and a certified copy of your birth certificate. However as stated by previous posters, a passport is the ideal form of identification for travel. Also, there are some shore excursions which require a passport because they cross international borders between Alaska and Canada, so if you wanted to go on these you would need one anyway.

I know many Alaskan cruises also begin in Vancouver BC and return to Seattle, so you would be required to have either the card or passport for one of these cruises.

When I renewed my passport I got both. The passport is a safety must when out of the country, but the card is a convenient additional picture ID even if only used in country or if a second ID is needed at a variety of ports. The extra few $ was worth it to me.

OP is on a RT out of Seattle, so does not require either the passport card or book and may choose to use just a DL and BC. However, a passport is recommended. Unless one has a specific need for the card (such as frequently crossing the land border) a book is always the preferred choice.

Archived