Shops in Epheus and Kusadasi???

You can't miss the bazaar in Kusadasi. It is right next to the port. The vendors are agressive and expect you to bargain, but good deals can be had if you're willing to haggle. Just don't expect to be allowed to shop in peace. :D

There are a few stalls around the entrance and exit at Ephesus but mainly just small souvenirs, guidebooks of the site, etc.

I ended up having to be rude at the bazaar as people would not let you alone. By far the most aggressive venders ever. I did get a "designer" bag for ten Euros, they started out wanting 170 euros lol. It is cute but I am sure a knock off. You need to tell them directly "no" or what you are willing to pay and walk away.

Outside of Ephesis it is much worse,keep walking- they were fighting over who could sell me water lol. We did eat at a great restaurant for lunch in kudasi, it is a fun place just be firm

There absolutely are dozens upon dozens of stores right outside the port gates, much schlock and some very nice ones. I purchased some beautiful Turkish pottery and gold "Greek-key" earrings at another store owned by the same family.

This was after our Ekol Travel six-hour tour of Ephesus and other nearby historic sites, so it was the best of both worlds: great history and then nice shopping, while Mr. "hates shopping" returned to the ship!

I ended up having to be rude at the bazaar as people would not let you alone. By far the most aggressive venders ever. I did get a "designer" bag for ten Euros, they started out wanting 170 euros lol. It is cute but I am sure a knock off. You need to tell them directly "no" or what you are willing to pay and walk away.

Outside of Ephesis it is much worse,keep walking- they were fighting over who could sell me water lol. We did eat at a great restaurant for lunch in kudasi, it is a fun place just be firm

The Turkish culture for all stalls and most shops is about bargaining. Giving you more attention than you might prefer, driving you nuts with pitches to sell goods, etc. is just the way it is done in this part of the world. Saying a polite, but firm, "No thank you" is not rude, and expected, but they also view the no as meaning they should simply keep trying. To us, its just a lot of fun and smiles and politeness (along with the firm no's) can often make friends. In some stores they will even offer you Turkish coffee, tea, or a soft drink. My wife once spent more than an hour (at a shop in the Grand Bazaar of Istanbul) bargaining for a 2' x 2' rug and by the time we left the shop we knew the entire life story of the shop owner and his family. As to walking away, it often will result in you being followed and a better price. If they let you walk after bargaining it means you truly were below their lowest price.

Hank

This thread really does touch on an important topic regarding international travel. Many travelers seem to expect folks in different cultures to behave and function in a similar manner as they see at home. If that was the case, than it would be a good reaon to simply stay at home (why travel if its like home). It helps to learn about the local and national cultures and make the experience part of the fun. My favorite example has to do with dining in much of Europe. In most countries, a waiter/waitree in a restaurant will never bring the check (or even mention the subject) unless you specifically make a request. We have often seen fellow Americans get annoyed in France and Italy when they feel ignored at the end of their meal and cannot get a check...but this is considered proper in those countries. In fact, if they came over and ask if you wanted the check it would be "rude" in their culture. We once sat at a cafe at the Piazza Navona (Rome) for more than 4 hours without anyone bothering us to buy more or give-up our seat! Try doing this in the USA. Many Europeans consider the US practice of trying to urge us to leave our table as terribly rude behavior (we prefer the European system regarding restaurants). Getting back to the bargaining thing in Turkey (and some other countries) one should simply be prepared and consider it part of the fun of travel.

Hank

Archived