First Time Royal Impressions from a CCL Vet...

PictureChris

Got back from my Monarch of the Seas 4 Day Bahamas Cruise. I had never been on RCI before so was looking forward to comparing. This was a last minute, Florida Resident rate, very good price. (only $22 Single Supplement)

-Ship was "nice". You could tell it was older and had been several years since the last dry dock. However, for a short cruise it was more than adequate. Similiar to my impression of Sensation but with more of a subdued/traditional look as opposed to your normal Carnival ship.

-Staff was overall very friendly and seemed glad to have you aboard.

-Lido (Windjammer) was an A- to Carnivals B+.

-Pizza was really bad, had better in Grade School Cafeteria.

-No Deli

-MDR was similiar to Carnival, only went one night.

-Room service was prompt and very good. ($3.95 fee between midnight and 5am)

-Production shows were adequate at best. I really enjoy the production shows and Carnival/Princess/HAL all had better.

-Two comedians were good.

-Orchestra/Live Music was very good.

-Photographers were less in your face. Did not see any in MDR.

-Activities/Other Cruise Staff Events were plentiful and good. (Quest/Love n Marriage Show)

-Cruise director was overall good. Was there at the appropriate events and saw him once or twice out and about.

-Ocean View (port hole) cabin was fine, very small (120ish sf) but fine for a solo trip.

-Smelled sewer smell a couple of times on lower decks but nothing to strong and I sort of expect it on the older ships.

Still would look to Carnival first but would go back on RC for the right price.

Adding to your comments, my sister and I did the 3-day October 9 on Monarch of the Seas.

I agree with everything you said except the smell. We didn't have that experience.

Only negatives came from two "loyal royal" couples who shared our table in the MDR. They bashed Carnival every chance they got.

Thanks for the info. I am doing my first Royal cruise on Majesty of the Seas in December. I know Monarch is a sister ship. The deck plans are a bit obscure so I can not get an adequate feel for the layout. It all seems a bit spread out on different decks. I am going solo as well and snagged an F1 Deck 5 oceanview for a ridiculously low price. This will be my second solo cruise. Did you go to Coco Cay? This is really the only port I am interested in as I have been to Nassau and Key West a few times.

Thanks for the info. I am doing my first Royal cruise on Majesty of the Seas in December. I know Monarch is a sister ship. The deck plans are a bit obscure so I can not get an adequate feel for the layout. It all seems a bit spread out on different decks. I am going solo as well and snagged an F1 Deck 5 oceanview for a ridiculously low price. This will be my second solo cruise. Did you go to Coco Cay? This is really the only port I am interested in as I have been to Nassau and Key West a few times.

Actually SOV is the sister to Majesty, Monarch is a little larger ship and not the same as Majesty. Your cabin will be minutely larger if its a inside or OV.

One of the cool things about the RCL ships is at each elevator lobby they have an illuminated cross section of the ship, so you can easily figure out where you are, or where you need to go. It's kind of pretty, made of glass or lucite.

Also, Cococay does get missed due to weather and rough seas from time to time, as happened to us last December. So, don't be too devastated if you are unable to tender in. From what I can determine, it's hit or miss, and time of year really doesn't seem to factor in that much.

Just a heads up.

Actually SOV is the sister to Majesty, Monarch is a little larger ship and not the same as Majesty. Your cabin will be minutely larger if its a inside or OV.

My understanding is that the Sovereign Class includes both the Majesty and the Monarch. The Sovereign went though a well publicized dry dock where she was enlarged (complete with multi part Travel Channel coverage). We sailed on the Sovereign following the STRETCH. While we had an OK time, I would never sail on that class of ship again. I did not care for the half (split) levels at a couple of places on the ship - no doubt I could get used to it ... but that's not going to happen. I felt the dining room was sub-Carnival quality in both the atmosphere, menu layout/choices, and food quality. I would try Royal again - just not on this class of ship. The Freedom OTS sails right here out of Pt. Canaveral, so we will make it one day!

Tom

My understanding is that the Sovereign Class includes both the Majesty and the Monarch. The Sovereign went though a well publicized dry dock where she was enlarged (complete with multi part Travel Channel coverage). We sailed on the Sovereign following the STRETCH. While we had an OK time, I would never sail on that class of ship again. I did not care for the half (split) levels at a couple of places on the ship - no doubt I could get used to it ... but that's not going to happen. I felt the dining room was sub-Carnival quality in both the atmosphere, menu layout/choices, and food quality. I would try Royal again - just not on this class of ship. The Freedom OTS sails right here out of Pt. Canaveral, so we will make it one day!

Tom

SOV (now retired, so you cant sail on her anymore) and Majesty are identical, even to where each cabin is ... so if SOV was stretched so was Majesty. Monarch the cabins arent identical, thats all I was saying, not that it isnt in the same class of ships. Monarch the insides are 121 s.f. on SOV and Majesty they are 119 s.f. etc ... Monarch is slightly different.

SOV (now retired, so you cant sail on her anymore) and Majesty are identical, even to where each cabin is ... so if SOV was stretched so was Majesty. Monarch the cabins arent identical, thats all I was saying, not that it isnt in the same class of ships. Monarch the insides are 121 s.f. on SOV and Majesty they are 119 s.f. etc ... Monarch is slightly different.

Gotcha.

So -- they spent all that time/money modifying the Sovereign only to retire her. I suppose they needed CASH from something they owned so that they could service the debt on the OASIS. Where is the (former) Sovereign now?

Tom

We sailed on the Monarch on Oct 20th. Had a very similar experience. We had an inside cabin and it was definitely small! We missed the party atmosphere but enjoyed the elegance of ship. We also enjoyed the food overall slightly better than Carnival with one exception..the chocolate melting cake. For the right price I would do Rccl again but might try the Freedom. We have CC friends who just sailed on her and she looks amazing!

We were able to tender to Coco Cay. It is very similiar to most "private islands". I walked the Nature Trail which is actually a slightly challenging trail with uneven terrain and some ups and downs. It comes out at a couple spots on beach areas that are less traveled.

We barely had any rough seas, the last night coming back to Pt Canav from Nassau was a little rough.

The split deck (tween deck) plan is a little confusing but I never got lost.

Somebody on the cruise mentioned that the Monarch had been sold. Not sure if that is true.

Gotcha.

So -- they spent all that time/money modifying the Sovereign only to retire her. I suppose they needed CASH from something they owned so that they could service the debt on the OASIS. Where is the (former) Sovereign now?

Tom

From Wikipedia:

In November 2008 Sovereign of the Seas was transferred to the fleet of Pullmantur Cruises and renamed MS Sovereign.

Royal Caribbean says they are the same size. Information from the RC website:

Majesty of the Seas

Passenger Capacity: 2,744

Gross Tonnage: 73,941

Length: 880'

Beam: 106'

Draft: 25'

Cruising Speed: 19 knots

Interior Stateroom (119 sq. ft.)

Oceanview Stateroom (122 sq. ft.)

Superior Ocean View Stateroom (157 sq. ft.)

Monarch Of The Seas

I was on Majesty and Monarch both between August 31 and October 26.

Basically the same ship, but Majesty seemed the nicer of the two to me. My 3rd deck cabin on Monarch had an awful smell to it that I could barely make it thru the cruise in. I'm pretty sure it was the carpet.

Royal Caribbean says they are the same size. Information from the RC website:

Majesty of the Seas

Monarch Of The Seas

I guess the site I looked at was incorrect. I did say they were the small class and the differences between these two ships was very minor. Iv read on RCL that these two are not identical.. Id have to look at the deck plans and check them out. Its not a big deal since I said they were pretty much the same anyway.

I swore off these small RCL ships, so only went on SOV and that was enough. Now I only cruise on Voyager, and maybe Oasis in the future.

I was on Majesty and Monarch both between August 31 and October 26.

Basically the same ship, but Majesty seemed the nicer of the two to me. My 3rd deck cabin on Monarch had an awful smell to it that I could barely make it thru the cruise in. I'm pretty sure it was the carpet.

Tom, I was in 3036, starboard, forward. When I would get off the Elevator, turn right, then left to go to my room, that is where the smell was on several occasions.

Tom, I was in 3036, starboard, forward. When I would get off the Elevator, turn right, then left to go to my room, that is where the smell was on several occasions.

Sounds close. I was in 3079. But the smell was worse near my closet than anywhere else in my room. I wouldn't walk in my cabin without flip flops.

Archived