Do Solo Cruisers Feel Discriminated Against By Carnival

Chacooe

Since Post #1 seems to be completely about those situations when a solo passenger is being charged 200% of the cruise fare, I'm going to take the 1A options completely out of the picture with my reply.

On those occasions when I book a 6A cabin or higher for myself, I fully know going into the booking process that I'm going to pay for an imaginary person to go along, and I accept that. I've read the big print and the fine print. ;)

What doesn't make sense to me is the way CCL chooses to apply some of the other benefits to solo passengers. If a sailing is cancelled, and CCL offers a certain amount per-person if you choose to rebook, you only receive one, despite having already fully paid for two. Any cash-back promotions would not include the full fare for the non-existent passenger that has been paid.

For the 'Future Carnival Vacation' certificates, a solo passenger only receives half of the stated amount (quoted as Per Cabin). A solo passenger sailing in a 6A cabin paying 200% would receive half of what two passengers in the neighboring cabin would receive, despite the total cruise fare for each cabin being identical to the last dime. :confused:

Carnival says the majority of its solo passengers choose a booking option that would not result in them paying double fares, and Carnival has admitted (at least to me) that some of its financial arrangements for solo passengers fall into what they termed 'exceptions'. So while I won't use the word Discriminate, because I don't think that's totally accurate, I do feel that some of the line's policies don't have any wiggle room for the 'exceptions'.

Do they ever discriminate on the solo passenger? Absolutely Yes. But on those occasions, I think their service recovery was very well handled. :)

I've traveled solo for over 25 years and have never felt "discriminated" against.

I've cruise Carnival for years as a solo and have never noticed anything but the same excellent service.

Some folks feel uncomfortable traveling as a solo. They feel like the odd-man-out. Solo isn't for everyone.

You have to be completely comfortable in your own skin, be friendly and outgoing, enjoy spending time alone, doing your own thing, following your own drummer.

I travel solo by choice......and I love it.

Since Post #1 seems to be completely about those situations when a solo passenger is being charged 200% of the cruise fare, I'm going to take the 1A options completely out of the picture with my reply.

On those occasions when I book a 6A cabin or higher for myself, I fully know going into the booking process that I'm going to pay for an imaginary person to go along, and I accept that. I've read the big print and the fine print. ;)

What doesn't make sense to me is the way CCL chooses to apply some of the other benefits to solo passengers. If a sailing is cancelled, and CCL offers a certain amount per-person if you choose to rebook, you only receive one, despite having already fully paid for two. Any cash-back promotions would not include the full fare for the non-existent passenger that has been paid.

For the 'Future Carnival Vacation' certificates, a solo passenger only receives half of the stated amount (quoted as Per Cabin). A solo passenger sailing in a 6A cabin paying 200% would receive half of what two passengers in the neighboring cabin would receive, despite the total cruise fare for each cabin being identical to the last dime. :confused:

Carnival says the majority of its solo passengers choose a booking option that would not result in them paying double fares, and Carnival has admitted (at least to me) that some of its financial arrangements for solo passengers fall into what they termed 'exceptions'. So while I won't use the word Discriminate, because I don't think that's totally accurate, I do feel that some of the line's policies don't have any wiggle room for the 'exceptions'.

Do they ever discriminate on the solo passenger? Absolutely Yes. But on those occasions, I think their service recovery was very well handled. :)

Good post. I feel the same way. Carnival offers some good bargains with the 1A cabins. I was very happy with my cabin and the price I paid on my solo Imagination cruise in August. I understand the 'double fare" for the other cabins and really don't have a problem paying it. I do think that Carnival needs to look at the Future Cruise Certificate policy regarding solo cruisers paying double fare for a non 1A cabin. Other then that I have no problem with what Carnival offers. I am looking at another solo cruise next August.

I also agree with jpg1747. You can find some great deals on all lines if you just take the time to do the reserch. My next solo is on Royal Caribbean because the pice I got was amazing. Just put the leg work in and do your own serching.

I cruise solo all the time and yes, it sucks to pay 200%. I recently went on the Splendor and had the spa suite. Yes, a suite, I paid $3410 for just me to occupy the cabin when people were paying as little as $500 each to get a balcony cabin when they booked it after the H1N1 scare in April. I am not complaining about the cost, it was my 40th birthday cruise and the bank was gonna be broken no matter what! I booked the cruise 53 weeks out to make sure I had a spa suite!!! Overall, I was pleased/tickled/happy/overjoyed about the cruise and for my 50th I'd do it all over again!

Carnival needs to offer better deals for solo cruisers who want a balcony cabin cuz 1A's, and other lower category cabins pay around 150%, but move to a balcony and you pay 200%!

Its based on double occupancy...They are counting on at least two people in each cabin...

As a solo cruiser I feel like we are sometimes discriminated against. I don't feel it is fair that under the Early Saver Program that we only get a refund for one person when we have to pay the full price for two. We should be entitled to both refunds like other passengers receive.

I don't mind paying a higher price for my room, but common on 200%. They know well in advance how many are going to be sailing so they order supplies for that number of passengers.

How do other solo cruisers feel about this.

I cruise solo all the time and yes, it sucks to pay 200%. I recently went on the Splendor and had the spa suite. Yes, a suite, I paid $3410 for just me to occupy the cabin when people were paying as little as $500 each to get a balcony cabin when they booked it after the H1N1 scare in April. I am not complaining about the cost, it was my 40th birthday cruise and the bank was gonna be broken no matter what! I booked the cruise 53 weeks out to make sure I had a spa suite!!! Overall, I was pleased/tickled/happy/overjoyed about the cruise and for my 50th I'd do it all over again!

Carnival needs to offer better deals for solo cruisers who want a balcony cabin cuz 1A's, and other lower category cabins pay around 150%, but move to a balcony and you pay 200%!

Nobody likes the dreaded single supplement, for sure. Those of us who do go solo know it's there, however, and go anyway.

I will also bite the bullet and pay what's necessary to get what I want. A balcony is a must. It's as much a part of my cruise experience as the food and the ports.....and I'll pay whatever it is. I would no more book and inside or oceanview than fly to the moon.........

I've booked passage on the Elation for it's trans-canal repositioning in April. I booked it within a couple hours after reservations were opened. I bought the Verandah Cat 11 "suite", unobstructed, for this wonderful voyage through the canal and paid about 3400.00 for the cabin. It could have been in an inside cabin or oceanview a lot cheaper but, don't want either of those options.

Interestingly, within a few days, the prices started skyrocketing and, shortly before the Cat 11 and Cat 12 were sold out, the price for a Cat 11 would have cost me over 6000.00 as a single. That, I wouldn't have paid.....HA!!

Just happened to be in the right place at the right time...and feel I got a bargain.......:D

One other observation, then I'll move on.

So many people over the years, when they've found I'm traveling alone, whether cruise, land or whatever have said "how brave" I was.....

That's always puzzled me. What's brave about it?

There are darned few people that I would wish to travel with. I have a few friends, my 2 adult children and grandson - and that's it. I'd prefer to go it solo than travel with someone who doesn't share my travel outlook, for sure.

I have cruised solo several times. Each time I was forced to wear a shirt with a red "S" on it (for "Solo", I assumed).

:confused:. i give up. is your reply because someone accutally made you wear it or you just felt like that was the experience you had going solo. please let us know. or did it have the blue background as suggested and stood for superman or super solo cruiser?

:confused:. i give up. is your reply because someone accutally made you wear it or you just felt like that was the experience you had going solo. please let us know. or did it have the blue background as suggested and stood for superman or super solo cruiser?

we know it cant be S for ********* (s p i d e r m a n) because we cant type that word here.

Those 1As also look very small from the photos I've seen (I haven't been on a Carnival ship yet).

Just an FYI...the 1A rooms on the Fantasy class ships are a little smaller than the regular inside rooms but with only 1 bed on the floor they don't feel quite so small. It's really hard to see the true size from the pictures. Not only that, booking websites often posts a generic 1A pic as opposed to the "real" room. I would probably never book a 1A based on the pics I've seen on the websites.

Here are a few pics of a category 1A on the Destiny. This room appeared to be about the same size as the oceanview rooms. The biggest difference was I had port holes instead of a window.

IMGP0053.jpg

IMGP0052.jpg

IMGP0056.jpg

Well, I like to wear blue tights quite often. I figured the only way I could do that on a cruise and not raise eyebrows was to wear my homemade Superman outfit.

As far as discrimination for being a single cruiser, never experienced that.

Folks sometimes get too hung up on the single supplement, which are fluid and subject to changes due to soft bookings, etc. I always go into a cruise with an idea of what would be a reasonable total price, and I'm the sole arbiter of what is reasonable. If the total cruise price is lower than my "reasonable price," that's great. If the final price exceeds my "reasonable price," then I stay home. Simple as that.

That said, I've found Carnival to be by far the best cruise line when it comes to dealing with solo cruisers in almost every category from pricing to dining seating assignments.

Port charges are included in the cruise fare, not added on, so most people are unaware of what they pay. Carnival used to subtract out the port charges and then apply the solo supplement. A year ago last summer they changed it to 150% of the cruise fare on 1A so you are paying 50% of the port charges, or 100% if you pay 200% ... what they remove is the 2nd persons taxes and fees (the fees do not include port charges).

Thanks, so it is Carnival, then. Royal Caribbean includes the port charges in the "taxes and fees" section (or they did when I went on them, at least). And, of course, since I'm going with a group, Carnival adds all the group fees, so I was paying MORE than 200%! :rolleyes: Thankfully, they lowered my price.

Also, on Triumph class, Conquest class and higher the 1As have windows and port holes. I have a port hole on Triumph .. so you can see out of many 1As ..

Not very helpful if you can't choose your ship, though. I go where the group goes. And a window that doesn't open doesn't help, unfortunately. It is the air that helps. (Watching the movement can actually make it worse, so no window might be better if there were no balconies. But I get the balcony for other reasons, too.)

Well, I like to wear blue tights quite often. I figured the only way I could do that on a cruise and not raise eyebrows was to wear my homemade Superman outfit.

As far as discrimination for being a single cruiser, never experienced that.

Ummm...don't you think the Superman outfit might raise a few eyebrows?!?!

Just an FYI...the 1A rooms on the Fantasy class ships are a little smaller than the regular inside rooms but with only 1 bed on the floor they don't feel quite so small. It's really hard to see the true size from the pictures. Not only that, booking websites often posts a generic 1A pic as opposed to the "real" room. I would probably never book a 1A based on the pics I've seen on the websites.

Wow, yeah, that definitely looks a lot different from the other photos I've seen! Thanks for posting that! The booking site photos do make the room seem quite tiny.

I book a 1A and that is not double the price....Only Carnival and HAL offer these type of rates that are about 150% and it works great for me....;)

I have gotten them as low as 130%...

My experience also. I usually cruise solo and last minute (3-5 days before the cruise).

At times Carnival's SUPERIOR treatment of solos is the only thing that keeps me from trying other cruise lines. Usually pay between 150-120% depending upon how quickly they need to fill the ship. Always book a 1A or guarantee and frequently get upgraded to a 4A or, in one case, an Oceanview. No other cruise line does this, to my knowledge.:)

Cabin bunks are like fruits and vegetables at a market. Cruiselines must maximize the revenue on every cabin, every cruise, as they'll NEVER be able to recover the lost revenue of an empty cabin or bunk on a cruise, so they go out of their way, cutting prices like crazy sometimes, to FILL THE SHIP.

Booked a last minute cruise (several weeks out) for a single on the Dream on the 23rd. the single rate for a senior was just under $900 for a 1A, and they upgraded the room to a 4F. Considering the prices of cruises during the Thanksgiving Holiday, I think this was a great price. The PVP did make it clear that if someone decided to go at the last minute the room would go to the normal price, which both parties would have to pay/makeup, but considering when I booked, I think it was still a great price.

Thanks, so it is Carnival, then. Royal Caribbean includes the port charges in the "taxes and fees" section (or they did when I went on them, at least). And, of course, since I'm going with a group, Carnival adds all the group fees, so I was paying MORE than 200%! :rolleyes: Thankfully, they lowered my price.

Actually, RCL also includes port charges in the cruisefare .... as do ALL cruiselines for over 10 years now. There was a class action lawsuit that it was (cant think of the word now) adding them on like they did in the old days. ... ALL cruiselines have to add port charges into the cruisefare. Its over $50 per port pp, so thats over $300 for 2 people in a cabin, and is too much to add on without showing it in the fare. FL AG brought them to court back in the 1990s...not sure when the last time you booked was, but its been added on for a pretty long time. I booked some cruises back in the 1980s before it was added in is why I know some of the port charges.

Folks sometimes get too hung up on the single supplement, which are fluid and subject to changes due to soft bookings, etc. I always go into a cruise with an idea of what would be a reasonable total price, and I'm the sole arbiter of what is reasonable. If the total cruise price is lower than my "reasonable price," that's great. If the final price exceeds my "reasonable price," then I stay home. Simple as that.

That said, I've found Carnival to be by far the best cruise line when it comes to dealing with solo cruisers in almost every category from pricing to dining seating assignments.

Exactly!!

I have a "budget" amount in my head and, when I'm ready to cruise, start looking for prices within that budget. Sooner or later, I'll find what I want and book it.

I'd never book outside my target price and have had great luck with Carnival who has always had the best prices for me....that's the main reason I cruise with them....and, also, the great food, pretty ships, good entertainment, large cabins and a wonderful time, of course.

Archived