give up cabin for a gty??

Lisa&Neb

we are sailing on the CB in March 2010 and have an aft. BB on the Caribe deck booked (C752 I think), anyways, the minisuites are now cheaper, we can book the lowest mini and save about $200.

Question is, the lowest mini (AE) is a guarentee as there are no cabins available in that category, or the next (AD), the first available are in the AC's and there are quite a few according to the nice lady at Princess that I spoke with. Would you give up the aft BB on Caribe, for a gty cabin. What are the chances that we would end up in and AE or AD if they are already sold out, what do you think our likely cabin category would be and would you switch? we have to decide by tomorrow.

we are sailing on the CB in March 2010 and have an aft. BB on the Caribe deck booked (C752 I think), anyways, the minisuites are now cheaper, we can book the lowest mini and save about $200.

Question is, the lowest mini (AE) is a guarentee as there are no cabins available in that category, or the next (AD), the first available are in the AC's and there are quite a few according to the nice lady at Princess that I spoke with. Would you give up the aft BB on Caribe, for a gty cabin. What are the chances that we would end up in and AE or AD if they are already sold out, what do you think our likely cabin category would be and would you switch? we have to decide by tomorrow.

You'd be getting a mini and saving money? I'd give up my balcony in a heartbeat! And I wouldn't care where the mini would be located.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't say give up a cabin you've booked to change it to a GTY but in this case, I think I would. IMHO, there's no such thing as a "bad" mini-suite although some are better than others due to location. But that's minor when you compare the extra space and larger bathroom.

The odds are that you would end up in a mini on dolphin deck with an exposed balcony, since the minis on Emerald deck are usually sold out. I have stayed in C752 and C753 and love those corner aft cabins. Ultra private (Its like you have your own hallway to your room) and a huge balcony that is totally covered. I would only switch from the aft BB if you could change to E730 or E731 (both of which have extended balconies). In my opinion, the guaranteed mini is not worth the gamble to give up one of the most sought after cabins out there.

Do what you want as long as you understand what the change would be. Your cabin is a regular cabin inside. Outside you have a huge corner balcony with only one neighbor. It's very quiet and private!

In a minisuite (any category but AD which are on Emerald deck and covered) you will have a larger inside cabin with a small couch and a bathtub instead of a shower in the bathroom. Your balcony will be totally open to all those above you and on both sides. It will also be smaller than the balcony you are giving up.

I'm sure you see what my thoughts are on this. I would never give up that aft cabin!

Do what you want as long as you understand what the change would be. Your cabin is a regular cabin inside. Outside you have a huge corner balcony with only one neighbor. It's very quiet and private!

In a minisuite (any category but AD which are on Emerald deck and covered) you will have a larger inside cabin with a small couch and a bathtub instead of a shower in the bathroom. Your balcony will be totally open to all those above you and on both sides. It will also be smaller than the balcony you are giving up.

I'm sure you see what my thoughts are on this. I would never give up that aft cabin!

And now, the OP is completely confused; thanks to us. :D

I might be wrong, but it is my understanding that a guarantee room is that level or above. So, booking a guarantee AC means an AC, AB or AA in the end unless you are upgraded to a full suite which is even better!
While it does mean that level or above, the likelihood is it will be an AC cabin, especially as the OP said there are plenty of cabins available.

So to Lisa&Neb - if you change, be sure it is because you like an AC location, not because you might get a cabin assignment in a higher category.

And now, the OP is completely confused; thanks to us. :D

I didn't mean to confuse her but thought she needed to hear both sides. I think if the interior is more important she should go with the mini but if the balcony is more important I stick by my statement. We have sailed in both and now book our cruises a year and a half out just to get that aft cabin. Quietly sitting out there and hearing nothing but the ship's wake is priceless!

I didn't mean to confuse her but thought she needed to hear both sides. I think if the interior is more important she should go with the mini but if the balcony is more important I stick by my statement. We have sailed in both and now book our cruises a year and a half out just to get that aft cabin. Quietly sitting out there and hearing nothing but the ship's wake is priceless!

LOL Karen. :) And I say that because we wouldn't ever entertain the thought of booking that cabin. The rear end of the ship (excuse me....aft) is not for us. :D

On our first Caribbean Princess cruise we got C753. The next cruise on the Crown we got E731.

HAving sailed both-- I am now booked C753 on the Ruby.

The mini was nice-- and there was a sofa. and a tub (which we never used)

two tvs was nice.. but we hardly were ever in the room to enjoy it all.

The balcony-- is where I spend a lot of my time. The mini suite balcony was just way too windy out there while we were at sea--

the C753 felt just so private with the only one neighbor-- plus felt i had my own private hallway.

For us== even if the upgrade is for free I wont be giving up that C753.

thanks so much for all your replies. We have sailed aft before but on NCL and loved it, that is partially why we chose cabin C752 on the CB, we have also had a suite on NCL and loved it. This will be our first Princess Cruise and we want to love it just as much as the other cruises that we have taken. If there was a way to know the category we would get when booking the AE gty. that might sway us away from the aft, but at this point, we will be sticking where we are. I'm not concerned about shaving in the teeny tiny shower as I plan on getting waxed right before we leave!! I think we will spend more time on the balcony compared to the room or the bathroom.

Don't you just love the perspective CC provides? So many way to consider a given question! That said, I will tell you that from my point of view, your decision to stay with the Caribe aft is just what I would have suggested. We, too, recently had the option of upgrading to a mini suite for the same price if we'd let go of our long- reserved corner aft C-753 (twin to 752) on the CB for our upcoming cruise in March. The extra space/couch/tub was tempting but our cruise last year in 753 convinced us that the incredible view, privacy and the expanded balcony just couldn't be matched. That's why we used our FCCs to book her again for both 2010 and 2011. Enjoy your cruise!

Last year I booked a BA midships [Caribe] on the Island for a Panama cruise. I was eventually offered an AD [or AE] gty for $10 less/person and took it. Got an AB on Caribe next to last aft. If it hadn't been the noise at night from the fixture above our bed vibrating like hell at night it would have been a good deal - guess it sort of broke even worthwhileness wise.

Archived