Live from the coral panama cruise

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

Nov 18 Wednesday

We arrived in Cartagena about 8 am and had to be back by 1 pm so only 5 hours. We got off the ship abou 8:30 and we caught the complimentary shuttle bus to the terminal, but most people would not find that much of a walk. Then we walked through a few shops and finally to the street where we met another couple and got a cab. You have to talk to the Taxi coordinator and he assigns a cab to you. We got one that was air conditioned which we were glad for as it is very hot and humid. The cab cost $60.00 for two hours for the four of us. Our driver did not speak much english, but Denise did the talking and translating for the rest. We went to the old city area which is very clean and well maintained. Lots of photo opportunities. We stopped in a Market area for about 45 minutes where there are rows and rows of shops with a lot of nice stuff or whatever. We generally just took a driving tour but unfortunately the other couple with us was not all that keen on seeing more and we ended up getting back to the ship after only an hour and a half. It's always a good idea to make sure everyone's on the same page when you start out. But Cartagena is an incredibly beautiful city and no one should be worried about taking a cab on their own if they catch it at the cruise terminal. Might be a little difficult to find an english speaking driver. I would suggest leaving the ship as early as possible and getting to the old city and its shops before all the tour buses.

Someone asked about the movies at MUTS. There's always the pro football games being broadcast (also in the rooms). They've had Julie and Julie, The Ugly Truth, Oh yes and "My Life in Ruins" which is basically a sequel to My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Really enjoyed it - at least Denise did. Anyway lots of variety.

Mikiecc: we sill have the old style panasonic tvs with one video in and one audio in jack (RCA).

Sometime ago someone asked if the photo place had albums - yes they do - the generic type "Memories at Sea...

As for the Sanctuary, Alan checked it out today and it looked like it was about 3/4 full. Both general pool areas, - the covered one in the atrium as well as the outdoor pool with jacuzzis (Lido pool) seem to have plenty of empty lounges.

Oh dear, we have to turn the clocks ahead tonight again - FOR THE FOURTH TIME. We actually end up one hour ahead of east cost time. So glad we're doing the back to back as this cruise is just flying by.....

Nov 18 Wednesday

We arrived in Cartagena about 8 am and had to be back by 1 pm so only 5 hours. We got off the ship abou 8:30 and we caught the complimentary shuttle bus to the terminal, but most people would not find that much of a walk. Then we walked through a few shops and finally to the street where we met another couple and got a cab. You have to talk to the Taxi coordinator and he assigns a cab to you. We got one that was air conditioned which we were glad for as it is very hot and humid. The cab cost $60.00 for two hours for the four of us. Our driver did not speak much english, but Denise did the talking and translating for the rest. We went to the old city area which is very clean and well maintained. Lots of photo opportunities. We stopped in a Market area for about 45 minutes where there are rows and rows of shops with a lot of nice stuff or whatever. We generally just took a driving tour but unfortunately the other couple with us was not all that keen on seeing more and we ended up getting back to the ship after only an hour and a half. It's always a good idea to make sure everyone's on the same page when you start out. But Cartagena is an incredibly beautiful city and no one should be worried about taking a cab on their own if they catch it at the cruise terminal. Might be a little difficult to find an english speaking driver. I would suggest leaving the ship as early as possible and getting to the old city and its shops before all the tour buses.

Someone asked about the movies at MUTS. There's always the pro football games being broadcast (also in the rooms). They've had Julie and Julie, The Ugly Truth, Oh yes and "My Life in Ruins" which is basically a sequel to My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Really enjoyed it - at least Denise did. Anyway lots of variety.

Mikiecc: we sill have the old style panasonic tvs with one video in and one audio in jack (RCA).

Sometime ago someone asked if the photo place had albums - yes they do - the generic type "Memories at Sea...

As for the Sanctuary, Alan checked it out today and it looked like it was about 3/4 full. Both general pool areas, - the covered one in the atrium as well as the outdoor pool with jacuzzis (Lido pool) seem to have plenty of empty lounges.

Oh dear, we have to turn the clocks ahead tonight again - FOR THE FOURTH TIME. We actually end up one hour ahead of east cost time. So glad we're doing the back to back as this cruise is just flying by.....

Thank you for the reply on MUTS. Cant wait to be out there watching movies.

Nov 18 Wednesday

Thanks for your reply on the TV's. I know what cable to bring.:)

Nov 18 Wednesday

.... Oh dear, we have to turn the clocks ahead tonight again - FOR THE FOURTH TIME. We actually end up one hour ahead of east cost time. So glad we're doing the back to back as this cruise is just flying by.....

Have they changed ship's time, as you crossed each time zone boundary, so ship's time matches local time in each port? It seems to be about right as Aruba is in the zone east of FFL.

Thank you for all the information so far.

If you have a chance can you go by and look at the cabin on Aloha deck straboard side in front of what looks like a set of stairs and then all the kids rooms. Its my cabin for my Jan 6th cruise and I cant figure out where those stairs might go, but even more concerned that there will be tons of kids passing by my cabin early morning. And can I get to the aft pool from that side of the ship.

Did they change any of the restaurants or is it still Sabatini's and that horrible other option?

BayCalif-Ariz R Us - I have a question. Was EZCheck-in offered on the first leg of your cruise that ended in FLL? If it was do you remember the earliest flight time you could use it for?

We are on this cruise in Feb. and when we disembark in FLL there will be EIGHT ships in port one of which is the OAsis (5400 passengers). We're anticipating the airport to be a zoo and EZCheck would be a huge help.

Thanks!

Ok we took on a whole new set of pax yesterday. Princess told those of us who were doing the return to get off the ship at 9.am and then we could reboard at 10:45. Fortunately I wasn't buying it. I told DH we would wait comfortably in one of the lounges until they did the "last call" everybody off, which was at 10:am. We went into the terminal and had to wait while everybody went thru customs with their baggage. I'm not a good stander so fortunately they had folding chairs available. When we got up to the customs person, she barely glanced at our passports - I don't think we even needed to see her. Then we turned around and went to another lounge with the other B2Bers and were soon reboarded.

DH just checked out the Aloha stair question for Logie, and the answer is the staircase goes up into the Lotus Spa where they have the aerobics classes.

Chamima - yes they offered EZ check IF you're on one of the participating airlines, which is just about all the American carriers. There is a $20 service fee then either $15 for the first bag (or $20) and then $25 or$30 for the second. Looks like a good deal if you don't mind the extra expense.

I'm an avid trivia player and when I played for the first time this morning, I discovered it was a repeat from the previous cruise. Even having heard the answers we still go only 15 out of 20. However, I've told this team that if they continue to repeat the questions I'm going to just pick teams at random and help people who never win to win some of the prizes which on this cruise are predominantly passport holders and ball caps. I intend to give any prizes I win away. Some people are just over the top greedy to win and I find that disgusting.

Oh my goodness sakes alive, we were right up alongside the Oasis of the Seas. What a monster ship. We're on Deck 11 and it very much looked like we were even with their midship. DH went up to to the highest deck the Coral has (14) and he still couldn't see the top of theirs. Right now they are just taking TAs on excursions but I just don't see how they are going to fill something that big.

We're happy to answer any questions about this cruise - it's a great one!!!! Denise & Alan

For Chamia - Some more info on EZCheck, for FLL your flight has to leave after 11:30 a.m. an from MIA after 14:00 but not later than midnight from the day of arrival of th ship

For Logie, I just checked the stairway again you must be in A633 which is next to the stairway. I would not think there would be much traffic there as people using it would end up in the middle of the Lotus Spa area just before you go into the Aerobics area. Kids going to the Teen and Youth Center would walk down the hall then into an alcove before going through the double doors to the Kids area. Unless they were yelling or talking very loud walking down the hallway, I doubt you would every hear them. There is no aft pool anymore available for anyone. You have to be using the Santuary. You can only get to it from the Santuary area.

Alan

For Chamia - Some more info on EZCheck, for FLL your flight has to leave after 11:30 a.m. an from MIA after 14:00 but not later than midnight from the day of arrival of th ship

For Logie, I just checked the stairway again you must be in A633 which is next to the stairway. I would not think there would be much traffic there as people using it would end up in the middle of the Lotus Spa area just before you go into the Aerobics area. Kids going to the Teen and Youth Center would walk down the hall then into an alcove before going through the double doors to the Kids area. Unless they were yelling or talking very loud walking down the hallway, I doubt you would every hear them. There is no aft pool anymore available for anyone. You have to be using the Santuary. You can only get to it from the Santuary area.

Alan

Alan

Thanks for checking. That extra half hour (from 11 that we had heard to 11:30) is going to make a big difference to a bunch of people on our roll call with 11 am flights. Better to be prepared, though!

Alan

Thank you so much for the promt answer about the cabin. Probably won"t be too many kids (hopfullly) for a cruise that length right after the holidays. With all thoe time changes I need to get me sleep. Was hoping to run right out to that pool, but not I get that its the sanctuary.

Any idea if port or starboard is better for this cruise? I am on the leg you just finished...

Have a great second leg!!!

Chamima I just noticed someone started a general thread on EZ check in at Fll. Don't know if it will be helpful for you. As for the rock 'n roll music we also are big fans. I don't think the regular bands do a lot of that although I haven't heard "Gypsy Moon", their main house band. We're not night owls so don't hit the disco. However they do have the usual pink poodle shirt show which is lots of fun. I woke up last Sunday in FLL with the beginnings of a cold which I just can't shake. Grrrrr. Definitely not the noro but annoying as heck. We've got tickets for the train ride to the Gatun Locks in Panama so I gotta get better. Bye for now. Denise

Chamima I just noticed someone started a general thread on EZ check in at Fll. Don't know if it will be helpful for you. As for the rock 'n roll music we also are big fans. I don't think the regular bands do a lot of that although I haven't heard "Gypsy Moon", their main house band. We're not night owls so don't hit the disco. However they do have the usual pink poodle shirt show which is lots of fun. I woke up last Sunday in FLL with the beginnings of a cold which I just can't shake. Grrrrr. Definitely not the noro but annoying as heck. We've got tickets for the train ride to the Gatun Locks in Panama so I gotta get better. Bye for now. Denise

Denise,

Thanks for all of your interesting posts and your quick replies. The person that started that post is on the cruise with us. She (and several others) have 11 am flights (we aren't until 1 so are ok) and are nervous since we heard about the Oasis being in port with us. We are all trying to figure out our options (EZCheck and private transportation, etc.).

For the cold - do you have any access to Vitamin C ? I find that if I load up (500 mg. 3 or 4 times a day) when I feel a cold coming on it never gets bad. My family laughs at me but it works!

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Yes cromeyer I of course remember you guys. Honeymooners are always fun to be with! This cruise is just as nice as the last one. My cold is abating somewhat this morning. I don't know if they had Vit C in the shops. I just dosed myself with Sudafed from the beginning b ut after awhile it stops working. Anyway, I should be fine by Fort amador when we have the train ride to the Gatun locks. To those of you reading this thread who will be doing this cruise, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Hi Denise-

I wish I was still on the Coral with you guys. I would rock at trivia if they are asking the same questions. ;)

No International Cafe but they have a Coffee Bar on Deck 5 where you can get speciality coffees and you can get them at the Lotus bar on deck 14.

The sanctuary is on Deck 12, 14 and 15 aft on the Coral. Public access is on Deck 16 by the shuffle board/basketball court.

I'm sure the morning show is less entertaining with out the H & H limericks :lol:

Stacy

For sure on the morning show Stacy. And........he's using the same quotes. I've played two trivias where the questions were repeated - and only won one! I razzed Ralph about knowing the answers in advance like I did - but all that means is he's got a lot better memory than I do. But he's giving his prizes away as I am.

Happy thanksgiving everybody. Hope to get a cool picture in Cartagena today which will make a nice XMAS card pic. Still can't entirely shake this cold and by the end of dinner I can no longer taste food - actually SKIPPED the raspberry creme brule last night - an all-time favorite of mine.

So what time are they going though the canal this time? I know ours was at 6:00am at the first set on the Pacific side. Also do you have the Captian's Log from the cruise that we were on? Could you make a copy and send it when you get back? Thanks, the cruise was great fun for both of us. It got us wanting to go on another. What kind of entertainment are having on this cruise? Any of the same shows or people?

Will answer your questions tomorrow. Right now there is great drama - and probably sorrow, as a crew member has gone missing. He was seen this morning when the pilot boat came in to lead us into Cartagena but not since then. The Captain made an announcement this afternoon that we would be circling the area until it got dark. they have launched their rescue boats but no sign of the young man - apparently an Italian 2nd cook. It doesn't look good and everybody is out on the decks and balconies hoping to spot him. Kind of puts a damper on our Thanksgiving and we're all just hoping a miracle will occur. Denise

Archived