Live from the coral panama cruise

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

Will answer your questions tomorrow. Right now there is great drama - and probably sorrow, as a crew member has gone missing. He was seen this morning when the pilot boat came in to lead us into Cartagena but not since then. The Captain made an announcement this afternoon that we would be circling the area until it got dark. they have launched their rescue boats but no sign of the young man - apparently an Italian 2nd cook. It doesn't look good and everybody is out on the decks and balconies hoping to spot him. Kind of puts a damper on our Thanksgiving and we're all just hoping a miracle will occur. Denise

Sad, but with all those extra "eyes" maybe they will get lucky.

Will answer your questions tomorrow. Right now there is great drama - and probably sorrow, as a crew member has gone missing. He was seen this morning when the pilot boat came in to lead us into Cartagena but not since then. The Captain made an announcement this afternoon that we would be circling the area until it got dark. they have launched their rescue boats but no sign of the young man - apparently an Italian 2nd cook. It doesn't look good and everybody is out on the decks and balconies hoping to spot him. Kind of puts a damper on our Thanksgiving and we're all just hoping a miracle will occur. Denise

Wow, that is sad. Have you heard gossip that he was depressed and suicidal or is this a case of him actually falling overboard accidentally?

No, sadly they did not find him despite an all-out effort by the ship and it's crew to do so. The Captain came on the intercom during our thanksgiving dinner last night and announced that, with his great regret, they would have to discontinue the search due to darkness and head on to Panama, where we have now arrived this morning (it's 6:45 and we haven't entered yet). You could have heard a pin drop in the dining room. Although the crew of course was told not to discuss the incident many of course did with passengers they had gotten to know. The young man was Italian and quiet, not a lot of friends among his peers, who are primarily of other nationalities. There were signs he was having problems the night before but no one could have predicted how serious they were. since it is unlikely the body will ever be recovered I suppose we can't know for sure although cameras are everywhere and if he did jump that may have been recorded. Of course they wouldn't announce that though.

Pam I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes I think Billy will be here for awhile - and lucky you are. What a great great guy.

Cromeyer, yes we have the cruise log from your trip. However, I'm going to put it on you to contact me AFTER December 8th at:

hermy8820 at cox dot net. We'll be back in AZ by then. Will be happy to mail it to you. Denise

I have a question. We are booked on the Coral Princess leaving on Feb. 5 from LA to FLL. We are scheduled to be in Fuerte Amador from 8 AM until 6 PM. Then the next day we go through the canal heading for Cartagena. Does the ship stay anchored for the night in Fuerte Amador?

We are also on board the Coral at the moment. Enjoying the cruise thoroughly. A passenger is right beside me arguing with the Internet Manager because Skype is being blocked. The argument has been going on for 20 minutes.

Anyhow, we love the ship...today is a sea day enroute to Costa Rica and we have seen whales, dolphins and sea turtles from the pool deck. We are hoping to see more wildlife when we do some white-water rafting. Yesterday, our excursion to visit the Embera Indians was fantastic....a truly wonderful day.

Cheers from on board.....

We are also on board the Coral at the moment. Enjoying the cruise thoroughly. A passenger is right beside me arguing with the Internet Manager because Skype is being blocked. The argument has been going on for 20 minutes.

Anyhow, we love the ship...today is a sea day enroute to Costa Rica and we have seen whales, dolphins and sea turtles from the pool deck. We are hoping to see more wildlife when we do some white-water rafting. Yesterday, our excursion to visit the Embera Indians was fantastic....a truly wonderful day.

Tell him you are Chrysalis and I would bet they would stop. :eek:

Have fun. :D

Hi where are you going White Water Rafting and can someone confirm the book club discussion time and day and that is still on the "No1 ladies detective agency" volume #1 as I just bought that and the "Path Between the Seas" for my pre-cruise reading.

Thanks!

Here are my two questions. thanks so much for being a resource. So excited that we're leaving on Monday!

1) has there been any indication that disembarkation will be delayed due to FBI boarding the ship in LA to do investigation of crewmember's (presumed) death?

2) if you have time, could you please check the gym to see if there are mats on the floor/available for use even when there are no classes (i.e. Pilates) going on. undecided whether to bring a thin mat to use in my cabin

Thanks much, Jan

PS are you doing a b2b so we'll meet you on our cruise?

First for whoever asked me some time ago if Billy would still be CD in January, I said I thought so, but now I hear he's getting off around Jan. 6 or 7 - whenever that cruise ends. Not positive but that sounds logical as he doesn't take long assighments.

Konagirl, we don't expect as passengers that there would be any delays because of the FBI investigation. This really is a mystery. We can see the place where the missing life preserver was on the wall. Princess has covered that space with a piece of canvas. Whoever took the preserver cut off the big lantern light that is attached to each preserver. It was located at the very back of the ship on deck 7 and if someone did voluntarily jump - either suicide or to float to land (Colombia) it was easy to see where the cameras are and how to avoid them. There was a HUGE delay for passengers disembarking in L.A. on Nov. 7 (just before DH and I got on) because customs and immigration came on board but were 2 hours late. Pax were FURIOUS! Those of us getting on the ship had no problems whatsover.

Also Konagirl, DH checked out the gym. There are plenty of mats available for general use - as well as those big exercise balls. Even tho we've be on for both cruises, I'm still not quite ready to get off. Sorry gotta run - there's a margarita with my name on it waiting out there in Acapulco. Denise

Archived