Progreso massage 1hr for $15????

iamheretowinp

Since massages where I live are generally in the $60-100 per hour range, I can not afford them very often. I generally go to a local massage therapy school where the students do 1 hr for practice/clinical for $25. That is a great bargain. But, if I can get a $15 massage while actually on the beach listening to the waves and feeling the tropical breeze also---well, that's one of the most relaxing things I can think of! :):):)

I'm not sure if I understand this massage fascination. I live in New York City, and in my neighborhood competition for massage services is intense. There are many places that advertise massage for as little as $18 per hour. Yes, $15 per hour in Progreso is less, but with all the money spent getting to Progreso, and the limited time in port there, is it really worth saving $3 and then shortchanging oneself from being able to fully explore the unique aspects of Mérida? Unless one is really hurting, I'd rather go exploring about a place far away and different from home, and save the massage for back home.

I think I'll move to New York City. :D

• 1 month later...

We were just there and the massage ladies were attractive young women, no one looked unkempt, and they were eager to please.

On the other hand, I stood and waited for someone in a public bathroom and out of the many cruise passengers that went in, only one washed her hands, so there are unsanitary people all around you...

I'm not sure if I understand this massage fascination. I live in New York City, and in my neighborhood competition for massage services is intense. There are many places that advertise massage for as little as $18 per hour. Yes, $15 per hour in Progreso is less, but with all the money spent getting to Progreso, and the limited time in port there, is it really worth saving $3 and then shortchanging oneself from being able to fully explore the unique aspects of Mérida? Unless one is really hurting, I'd rather go exploring about a place far away and different from home, and save the massage for back home.

I doubt many travel to Progreso for the massages alone, but if you are on a cruise ship where they are charging upwards of $150 for a simple massage and you get to the beach where it's $10 by ladies who will not talk the entire time and push you to buy their products- that's a treat you can't miss and want to tell others about.... :)

I doubt many travel to Progreso for the massages alone, but if you are on a cruise ship where they are charging upwards of $150 for a simple massage and you get to the beach where it's $10 by ladies who will not talk the entire time and push you to buy their products- that's a treat you can't miss and want to tell others about.... :)

I agree! I also think hygeine standards on the beach might not be the same as perhaps the one's we're used to in the states. I bet if you asked to use your own towel and asked if they could please wash their hands before your massage and then gave them a little extra than the agreed upon price, everyone would be happy!

MCC. And that might be interpreted as insulting. Why would you assume they don't wash their hands?

As they said,,,,,,it's on the beach.......you aren't going to die from someone who's sanitation standards are a little bit lower. Is ones bathroom where the bandaids and Neosporene kept as sterile as the ER? Same thing.

I can't imagine anything more relaxing than a massage on the beach. Here in DC and hour long massage can cost $200! So yeah, I am so not missing out on a $15 massage. I'll be doing the Dzibalchaltun ruins first and then heading back to the beach for a massage and a beer or two before heading back to the ship. I so can't wait!!

Count me in. I'm on the Triumph from in 2 weeks and Progresso is the first port. I am definitely going to do this $10/$15 massage. Cmon people, it's an hour for that much. Let's not be too picky. You can take precautions like mentioned in this post to keep it "clean" like bring your own towel. But about them washing hands..cmon, let's say they don't (which I think they do)..but let's say they don't..will it really kill you to have someone massage your back without washing their hands? You probably have stepped/sat/touched dirtier things on the ship by that time that it will be the least of your problems. Let's just accept that it is what it is and enjoy and appreciate the value.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We did our first beach massage at Cozumel in May. It was wonderful, relaxing and inexpensive. To lay on the beach, smell and hear the waves, listen to the local bands in the background and have the ship in site, aahhhh. And the ship does charge around $245 for massages. Wasn't sure what I was going to do in port in November, but after reading this thread, it's beach and massage for me! Thanks for the tips on bringing our own towels, I wouldn't have thought about that.

No doubt the massages on the beach are great. I can't wait till next month to be back down there and that is certainly the first thing and then most likely the last thing I will do before going back to the ship. They are massages on the beach. There is no privacy so to speak but each time I have been there the ladies have been wonderful. They try to give you good for the money. I have never been disappointed. I agree with the person before who said take your own small hand towel to put where you put your face but other than that you are not naked so you won't have parts of you touching anything that could really hurt you. Won't be any more dangerous than sitting on the chairs on the beach. I always take a nice hot bath when I get back to the ship (to get the oil and sand off) and I always feel great. The massages are the best massges I have ever had. Enjoy!!!! Hey Gina...I will see you there. Look for me on the nearest table.

• 6 months later...

Both myself and daughter-in-law are sooo looking forward to our massages on the beach in about 3 weeks from now.:D What a special treat...with the sounds of the REAL surf vs. listening to a CD of surf sounds contained within 4 walls...there's no comparison! Plus the fact that somebody posted earlier that the ladies don't talk the entire time or push high-priced products.:) Another treat in itself! And let's not even talk about the price. Although it's now gone up to $20/hr, that's still dirt cheap! The last time I was in Progreso I didn't know about this deal, but I'm certainly going to take advantage of this fabulous opportunity when we get there this go-around. We can't wait to get to get this party started.:cool:

Cheers!:D

Cruisin' Mama

What's up with the slightly offensive stereotypical comments? Do some folks really think that the masseuses don't sanitize their hands between massages just because they're Mexican? Or use the same towels? Or steal your valuables while you are getting your rub?

Sheesh.

They're cheap because a) it's a different economy and they can charge less and b) that's what the tourists expect - everything in Mexico is cheap - and they wouldn't pay a quality spa experience because it's 'too expensive'.

Sorry for the rant. :)

I totally agree with your comments. In fact I am sick of reading negative posts about Mexico and Mexicans. They are lovely, proud people.

I always get a massage in Mexico and they sanitize their hands and change the linens between customers. I would live in Mexico in a heartbeat if DH would just hurry up and retire.

My doctor always says a little dirt is good for you. The constant use of antiobiotic soaps, hand sanitizers and overuse of antibiotics have left us with immune systems that can't cope with the least little thing. We have wiped out the good bacteria leaving the superbugs to run rampant. You people just need to chill - a massage on the beach would do wonder for your attitudes.

Deb. If I was younger and healthier, I would move to Merida. Then I could have Mr Lawson for a neighbor.

Wouldn't that be great! We are seriously considering retirement in Mexico and have looked at real estate all over. Merida is a lovely city, but just too darn hot and humid in the summertime. Merida makes a South Texas summer seem positively cool!

• 3 weeks later...

William - since you live in Merida - I was wondering if you could tell me which you would recommend for a family fo 4 (ages 9 - 43) a trip to the Mayan Ruins or the beach? We plan on going to the beach in Cozumel, so I was leaning toward the Mayan Ruins (Uxmal) but I wondered how long the bus ride would be and if we would have time for a massage after before going to the ship

All opinions would be welcomed!

• 1 month later...

Archived