Dining in suite off MDR - tipping?

I'm booked in a suite for the first time on my upcoming cruise. I hope to take advantage of ordering off the MDR menu for breakfast. My question is, if you've done this, who did delivery, your stateroom attendant or someone else? Did you tip, and how much? Also, was the food delivery handled well or poorly? I have bad experiences with cruise breakfasts in normal staterooms because they seem so overtaxed.

It will be delivered by the team that happens to be working on the morning you order. Odds are it will not be your cabin steward and the service is identical to that offered other cabins. Tip depending on the size of the order, estimate $2-$5.

I'm booked in a suite for the first time on my upcoming cruise. I hope to take advantage of ordering off the MDR menu for breakfast. My question is, if you've done this, who did delivery, your stateroom attendant or someone else? Did you tip, and how much? Also, was the food delivery handled well or poorly? I have bad experiences with cruise breakfasts in normal staterooms because they seem so overtaxed.

Does this Breakfast service include Junior suite cabins?

We've been able to get hot entrees for breakfast in our JS's....

It's the kitchen staff who delivers room service...tip according to what they have to carry at time of delivery.

Thanks. I wonder if there's really much difference between the MDR breakfast menu for GS+ and the standard room service breakfast menu available to all. The standard room service menu is pretty good.

When did this actually start ? We stayed in a GS Alaska on ROS this past May '09 and asked about ordering breakfast from the MDR ? Room steward didn't know what we were talking about ? We didn't push it..just ate the usual roomservice and it was fine..no big deal...always write in any additional things we want on the doorhanger menu and we have always received them...

When did this actually start ? We stayed in a GS Alaska on ROS this past May '09 and asked about ordering breakfast from the MDR ? Room steward didn't know what we were talking about ? We didn't push it..just ate the usual roomservice and it was fine..no big deal...always write in any additional things we want on the doorhanger menu and we have always received them...

It started fairly recently. The steward puts a new menu in your cabin daily.

We've been able to get hot entrees for breakfast in our JS's....

It's the kitchen staff who delivers room service...tip according to what they have to carry at time of delivery.

Thanks. I wonder if there's really much difference between the MDR breakfast menu for GS+ and the standard room service breakfast menu available to all. The standard room service menu is pretty good.

The GS+ menus include pretty much the entire MDR menu, so you can get pancakes, French toast, eggs benedict, etc. Once upon a time you could just write things in, but I don't know if they do that any more.

Is there a different or upgraded suite in room dining menu? I have stayed in suites (GS and higher) and have only had the standard menu that is in the booklet. Did I miss something?

You may have. The program started some time last year, I believe - there's a "suite services" folio in the cabin that will have the full dining room menu for all three meals (lunch on sea days only, which is the only time the MDR is open for lunch).

Another full suite perk is the ability to have breakfast served in your stateroom on disembarkation day, at least it's supposed to be. We were able to order it on Mariner, but not on Radiance. Radiance doesn't have coffeemakers in the JS cabins yet, either.

Oh, and as to the original question, I don't think I've ever had my room service delivered by my cabin steward. We usually tip anywhere from $1 for a bucket of ice to $5 for a full meal, regardless of what cabin we're staying in. :)

Archived