Athens port time

fllchick

I'm looking at a Greek cruise next year, and the itinerary I'm considering is in Athens from 12pm-8pm.

Is that time going to be prohibitive in terms of getting to the acropolis and other sites? Not sure what time everything closes?

I'm sure there are some seasoned cruisers out there with some great insight.......thanks in advance!!

That is an unusal itinerary since most ships are in Athens from early morning until late afternoon. You would certainly have time to see the Acropolis and additional time to explore some other places such as Syntagma Square and the adjacent Plaka neighborhood. Your ship will certainly offer the usual excursions and its also possible to hire private tour guides. You also would have the usual option of simply doing it on your own by taking the train from Pireaus into Athens which should give you a solid 3 1/2 - 4 hours in Athens before you need to think about returning to Pireaus.

Hank

I agree that you should be able to see the sights if you get off the ship at 12, but also consider what time of year it is--time of sunset, as that may impact your enjoyment of things. Depending on season, the sights may close alittle earlier.

Do think about seeing the National Archeologic Museum, that was definitely a not to miss sight for me as many of the treasures from all over the isles are at the museum.

We just did Athens 12-8 a few weeks ago. Worked out fine. Took a taxi to the Acropolis and then Plaka, Syntagma, 1895 Stadium, Temple of Zeus and Acropolis Museum all on foot. Taxi back to the ship at 6 pm. Worked out great.

I can recommend it. But I would suggest you do the b2b. It seems the itineraries are the same next season. The only repeat is Corfu and you get Kusadasi(Ephesus) as well. We didn't do any ship tours. We rented cars in Corfu, Mykonos and Santorini. Used Ekol tours in Kusadasi. Went independent everywhere else.

I agree that you should be able to see the sights if you get off the ship at 12, but also consider what time of year it is--time of sunset, as that may impact your enjoyment of things. Depending on season, the sights may close alittle earlier.

Do think about seeing the National Archeologic Museum, that was definitely a not to miss sight for me as many of the treasures from all over the isles are at the museum.

The National Archeological Museum in Athens is world famous. It contains many stunning works of art, including the gold "Mask of Agamemnon"! BUT -- to be honest with you, 34 halls of statues were really more statues than I wanted to see!

The new Museum of the Acropolis is really an amazing place, and IMAO was much easier to navigate and not so ovewhelming in its size or the huge number of displays. Especially the third floor recreation of the frieze and metopes of the Parthenon was exciting. There are spaces in the museum reserved for the marbles which now reside in the British Museum and I hope they can soon be returned to their proper place.

I would seriously suggest the Museum of the Acropolis as a first priority, and the National Archeological Museum as your second option if time permits.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea3.html

and our tour of the Antiquities Promenade at http://www.bully4.us/athens.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

I have mixed feelings on this one.

If you have an interest in ancient history and archeology, Athens' National Archaeological Museum would have to rank in the top 10 of the world in this regard. The exhibits cover all of Greece, whereas the Acropolis museum's focus is almost entirely on the Acropolis. Given a full day in Athens, I would always recommend the National Archaeological Museum over the Acropolis museum if you had to choose only one.

However, given the limited time in port, I think it would be difficult to spend enough time in the larger museum to make it a meaningful visit. So by all means, visit the beautiful new Acropolis museum and save the Archaeological Museum for your next (hopefully longer) visit to Athens.

Here's a good review of the Athens Archaeological Museum: http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/europe/greece/athens/6095/national-archaeological-museum/attraction-detail.html

And here's one of the new Acropolis Museum: http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/europe/greece/athens/40798/the-new-acropolis-museum/attraction-detail.html

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy Athens!

• 2 weeks later...
eh2zed - Did you just take a taxi from the pier or did you have one reserved? Was there a problem finding a taxi to take you back to the port? What was the cost?

Thanks.

Lots of taxis at the terminal. 40E to the Acropolis ticket booth (3 of us). Probably 10E too much. 20E back to the ship. Got it at a taxi stand just down from the Acropolis Museum.

Archived