Victor Bodden "Best of Roatan Private Tour"

Jaymee287

! I have read many of your posts and you are the cheerleader :rolleyes:!

All of my posts are factual, I do post often when people partake in illegal activities in the hope that future cruisers do not make the same mistake you made in promoting the illegal hubting of Iguana, call it cheerleader or whatever but the fcys are the same, you ate a meal that was against the law, Don't they say in your home area that ignorance is not an excuse?

• 2 weeks later...
Hope this thread gets back to providing tour information for folks visiting Roatan

This thread has continued toprovide good information for those visiting, Anyone reading it will now know that it is illegal to hunt/kill Iguana and they can tip their tour operator accordingly, which should be zero if they suggest anything illegal and environmentally harmfull

Ok, after reading this entire thread, I was convinced I needed to book with this company. My family of five is now officially booked for the "Best of Roatan" tour with Tex when we're there at the beginning of October. I was happy to learn that Tex was still available on the date we'll be there, since he seems to come highly recommended.

We'll be in port from 10am until 7pm, so I can reasonably expect to have 6 - 7 hours on the island (since I'll lose up to an hour with tendering each direction)

Our itinerary will consist of (in no particular order) snorkeling for a couple of hours at a rocky beach with good snorkeling, an hour or two at a soft-sand beach, the monkeys, lunch, and sightseeing.

I have a few questions which maybe some of you who have been to Roatan can answer.

(1) We're planning to just let Tex decide where to take us sightseeing, but is there anyplace specific (free or VERY cheap) that we should make sure we don't miss?

(2) I'd like some recommendations on where we can go for lunch. We are NOT seafood eaters. We'd like to go someplace that has INEXPENSIVE local cuisine.

(3) My research suggests that Tabyana will be the best place to snorkel. Is there someplace Tex will be able to drop us off which offers free access to this beach?

Ok, after reading this entire thread, I was convinced I needed to book with this company. My family of five is now officially booked for the "Best of Roatan" tour with Tex when we're there at the beginning of October. I was happy to learn that Tex was still available on the date we'll be there, since he seems to come highly recommended.

We'll be in port from 10am until 7pm, so I can reasonably expect to have 6 - 7 hours on the island (since I'll lose up to an hour with tendering each direction)

Our itinerary will consist of (in no particular order) snorkeling for a couple of hours at a rocky beach with good snorkeling, an hour or two at a soft-sand beach, the monkeys, lunch, and sightseeing.

I have a few questions which maybe some of you who have been to Roatan can answer.

(1) We're planning to just let Tex decide where to take us sightseeing, but is there anyplace specific (free or VERY cheap) that we should make sure we don't miss?

(2) I'd like some recommendations on where we can go for lunch. We are NOT seafood eaters. We'd like to go someplace that has INEXPENSIVE local cuisine.

(3) My research suggests that Tabyana will be the best place to snorkel. Is there someplace Tex will be able to drop us off which offers free access to this beach?

Do you really have to tender there? We were able to tie up, which is always nice.

1 - I don't have an answer for that. I do remember Tex saying that many charge access to the beach even when they don't own the beach.

2 - I was eating seafood most of the week on the ship. The place we ate at, I had a good cheeseburger, my wife had a chicken sandwich and the kids had a pizza. Just an idea - since you are arriving late morning, have a late breakfast, have an afternoon snack and then dinner on the ship. It may give you more island time.

3 - snorkeling? I have no idea on that one. We didn't see any but then again we weren't looking for it either.

I do know that if you explain your plans to Tex he will tell you if you have time for all that and provide suggestions. Flexibility is key to enjoyment. Whatever you end up doing, I am sure it will be a very satisfying visit.

I was in Roatan this pass friday on Carnival Legend. My wife and I and our two sons did the best of Roatan private tour. Our guide was Marty, great guy. We did sightseeing, went to see the monkeys (which my kids really loved) Then went to West Bay beach and had a great day swimming and relaxing. Marty was awesome, whenever I go back to Roatan and do Victor tours again, I will be asking for Marty. Great guy, great tour.

Can you tell me how the time change works??

We are suppose to arrive at 8am to 3pm ship time but the time change is like 2hrs behind???

6am we arrive seriously? and leave at 1pm???

You'll love Tex. He's great! If I knew how to add a picture to these boards I would post a picture of him. We didn't snorkel or go to the beach. The friend I was traveling with isn't an active type person so we toured the island most of the day, ate lunch at the Half Moon Bay Resort and then went to the Cameo Factory. Cameo Factory was my least favorite part.

Have fun in Roatan

• 2 weeks later...
You'll love Tex. He's great! If I knew how to add a picture to these boards I would post a picture of him. We didn't snorkel or go to the beach. The friend I was traveling with isn't an active type person so we toured the island most of the day, ate lunch at the Half Moon Bay Resort and then went to the Cameo Factory. Cameo Factory was my least favorite part.

Have fun in Roatan

What size t-shirt do you think Tex wears? We are going to see him in the summer and I plan on bringing him a Detroit Lions or Red Sox t-shirt. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

We're booked (no particular guide) for November 28th. We're also looking for some "must sees". We're definitely going off shore snorkeling and the monkeys. My mom stated she might want to do the butterfly garden as well. The cameo factory looked interesting. Any other must sees, eats, or photo ops we won't want to miss? We don't want to be too structured, but we don't want to miss a wonderful opportunity either :D.

Private tour is that the best way to go. Made res. for fun in the sun but thinking to change it to a private tour.

You should really consider changing to a private tour. So worth it

What size t-shirt do you think Tex wears? We are going to see him in the summer and I plan on bringing him a Detroit Lions or Red Sox t-shirt. Thanks.

Hope I'm not too late. I didn't get back to the thread. I would say a large unless they run really big. He isn't a big guy but he does have a bit of a little bit of a belly.

Will be in port in late July, for those who have been: is there enough time to snorkel, zip, monkeys and eat and see a few interesting spots on the island without being rushed?

I believe this would depend on how long you wish to snorkel, how long it takes you to eat and what sites you wish to see.

Bodden and the other tour companies do this for a living...toss them an email with this things you want to do.. they can give you a VERY good idea how long each activity takes for the average party.... then plan your day according to what you wish to do from the most important to the least.

I will share my VB experience. We did not like our tour driver Ann. She hardly spoke unless we prompted her. She was very quiet the whole time.

We expected more I guess. We had a good day overall but it was not anything I would rave about and we would prob just do Mahogany Bay if we go again. Just know exactly where you want to go, we should have gone online here for more tips so we would know the names of places to go etc.. so when she only took us 1 place we could have known there was more etc..

We had a bad experience on a private tour in Italy and we let the owner of the company know via email on return. We were refunded our money. And thanked profusely for the information. You need to let V Bodden know if you haven't already. You might not get a refund, but if you don't let him know of your dissatisfaction with this guide, he won't know. And someone else might have the same problem.

It is better if you do some research so you have some info re the port and what woud be of interest to you.

Will be in port in late July, for those who have been: is there enough time to snorkel, zip, monkeys and eat and see a few interesting spots on the island without being rushed?

Well, some ships stay longer than others. Remember there is a time change. So you'll have to work that into your stay as well.

Edited by eandj

I just booked TEX as our driver on 12/19. I hope they can take up to Carribean Pirates Zip line and West bay. I will ask tomorrow maybe.

That's great that you were able to book Tex. At times, he books a year in advance. I don't see any problem with you being able to do the zip line and then visit West Bay. Should be enough time for both and then some. Tex is happy to take you wherever you want to go.

Enjoy your day in beautiful Roatan:)

Edited by MichelleinOC

That's great that you were able to book Tex. At times, he books a year in advance. I don't see any problem with you being able to do the zip line and then visit West Bay. Should be enough time for both and then some. Tex is happy to take you wherever you want to go.

Enjoy your day in beautiful Roatan:)

Should I send an email to add the Carribean pirates zip line or just tell him in person?

Should I send an email to add the Carribean pirates zip line or just tell him in person?

It's always best to let your private guides know what "for sures" you want to do and see. They know when spots are less/more busy and will schedule you at the best times to take advantage of the entire day.

Give them an email with your planned ideas. But also know that you can change things up a bit on the day of. Enjoy.

Edited by eandj

We snorkeled, zipped, saw the monkeys and shopped for souvenirs with our guide last summer. We would have liked to get something to eat but time got a little short and I'm a bit OCD about getting back to the ship early. (See page 2 of the review in my signature for more info.)

Victor himself actually came along on the snorkeling boat with us, so yes, I think he is very invested in making sure his customers are happy and get back on time. I don't think he would let you book more than you could actually do in one day.

We were so pleased with the tour last year that we're going back again this year, but this time we're doing a more relaxed itinerary -- just some snorkeling and shopping and eating at West Bay/West End. I managed to get Tex, so I'm hoping to just let him show us stuff.

I'm not 100% sure but since it is a zipline and might be capacity controlled it wouldn't hurt to let him know. Then, if you change your mind, let him know when you start your tour. He is very flexible.

We snorkeled, zipped, saw the monkeys and shopped for souvenirs with our guide last summer. We would have liked to get something to eat but time got a little short and I'm a bit OCD about getting back to the ship early. (See page 2 of the review in my signature for more info.)

Victor himself actually came along on the snorkeling boat with us, so yes, I think he is very invested in making sure his customers are happy and get back on time. I don't think he would let you book more than you could actually do in one day.

We were so pleased with the tour last year that we're going back again this year, but this time we're doing a more relaxed itinerary -- just some snorkeling and shopping and eating at West Bay/West End. I managed to get Tex, so I'm hoping to just let him show us stuff.

Congrats on getting Tex. We just let our day unfold with him and it was an amazing day!

Congrats on getting Tex. We just let our day unfold with him and it was an amazing day!

MichelleinOC

I am so OCD on having everything planned and don't know exactly what to do in Roatan. I have Tex booked. My kids want to Zip Line, I want to explore the island and go to the beach, my nephew wants to snorkel.

What were some of the things he took you to? I am open to suggestions :D

Edited by girlscruise2011

We don't cruise on the Conquest until January, but I booked with Victor Bodden a couple of weeks ago after hearing others on our roll call already had booked with him. I didn't want to wait and find out later that he was all booked up. I'm not sure who our driver will be, he didn't say. But we are planning on doing the Carambola Gardens tour and the monkeys, and a drive around the island to see some of the highlights/photo opportunities.

Thanks to everyone on this thread who posted reviews and photos. :) I also read many good reviews on Trip Advisor too.