Victor Bodden "Best of Roatan Private Tour"

Jaymee287

We just returned from Roatan on the Legend. Having read so many positive reviews of Victor Bodden's tours, we arranged for a driver for the day for $25 each. We had a party of six, so we requested it be private. We had no problem finding the group of Victor's guides just over the crest of the hill. Victor send very good directions regarding meeting prior to our sailing.

Our guide was Francisco, Victor's brother. He was very friendly and gave a nice tour, informative without going overboard. He took us to several tourist resorts to see the sights but also to many local neighborhoods and viewpoints. We had asked for some local shopping so he included two points with local vendors.

We chose to zipline and visit with the monkeys. The zipline was not as scary as some and the guides were fun and careful. Everyone had a good time, even those of us who are nervous nellies! If you are worried, you can have a guide tandem zip with you and you just enjoy the view!

The monkeys were so much fun, really one of the highlights of the trip. Listen to the guide regarding how to interact and you will have a lot of fun. They will grab for hats, glasses, jewelry etc., so if that worries you leave them outside! The monkeys clearly enjoyed the interaction! They also had several other native wildlife to observe such as a lemur, deer, parrots, toucan. This was included in the zip line tour and a nice bonus!

We had a short port time in Roatan, so we did not have as much time at the beach as we might have liked (wish Carnival would make it a longer stop!). We went to West Bay Beach and walked in the water a bit, but no time for swimming or lunch. If we had more time I would have like to have lunch there or enjoy the beautiful swimming area.

So, I would not hesitate to use Victor Bodden Tours again. We had one of our most enjoyable days with Francisco!

So nice to hear you had a great time. We toured with Tex from VB back in 2009 and had a fabulous time. I think there are a few posters that haven't had a good experience but the majority have. I hope your review continues to encourage people to book with Victor or another tour operator and go see Roatan. It seems many are deciding to stay in the man-made compound of Mahogany Bay and I think that is a shame.

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone has wonderful things to say about VB. I'm traveling solo and don't want to go to the beach and am not real interested in the monkeys or shopping. How could I ask for a tour and not be with others who want to do the above?

My understanding is that "the best of roatan" tour is a private tour and they will take you wherever you want. There might be a two person minimum, because that is what the prices start at. The price gets cheaper if you have more people, but it is still private.

Are the monkeys or birds aggressive and do they scratch or bite?

We didn't go but I have read a few threads where people were scratched or bitten. YOu have to keep in mind, these are wild animals and there is a risk.

Everyone has wonderful things to say about VB. I'm traveling solo and don't want to go to the beach and am not real interested in the monkeys or shopping. How could I ask for a tour and not be with others who want to do the above?

You can absolutely do a tour on your own. I would imagine it will cost you $80. My friend and I did VB's tour and we paid $40 a piece. If I was traveling solo to Roatan I would do this tour again in a heartbeat and not hesitate to pay $80.00. You would probably pay more for a ship's excursion and be at the mercy of the tour's schedule.

We had Tex as our guide and he was fabulous. You can request specific guides when you book with Victor. Have you googled his website and gotten his email address? On his website are also suggestions of things you can do. I was traveling with a friend who isn't a beach type person. Below is what we did with Tex:

"When we got in the van with Tex we told him we primarily wanted to see the scenery and island highlights. We also wanted to see a catholic church if there was one as my friend is catholic. First, he drove us through the town of Coxen Hole. It is an area with alot of poverty but we did get to see how the locals live in this area, then he took us to a small catholic church. He told us the churches there aren't very ornate as on other islands. He was right but it was nice to see an island church. From there he took us on a tour of the island. We went by the airport, by the governor's mansion,to some lookout points where we some some shipwrecks, some other beautiful lookout points - one with a small flea market. Then he took us by the resort where his brother worked. I needed to use the facilities so he stopped there. I don't know the name of the resort but I can't even tell you how beautiful it was looking out over the bay and then to the ocean. There were several bungalows along the bay with thatched roofs. It was just so beautiful. Just like a commercial. That is the feeling we got time and time again as we toured the island.

From there we went to the interior a bit. He stopped at a produce stand and bought us some fruit. Don't remember what it was, never saw it before, but it was tasty. From there, he said he needed to stop by his house to pick something up and asked if we minded. Of course not, was our reply. At the time, he lived in a small house behind a larger house that was rented to island visitors. He was a caretaker for the larger house. The houses were on the beach and had a dock in front of them. When we walked out on the dock we could see the dolphin encounter in the distance. Again, so very beautiful! Amazing! We also met his two dogs. My understanding is that he doesn't live in this house anymore. From there we drove through that residential neighborhood and then he took us for a drive right on the beach. Yes, in the van right down the sand. Since we were in the local area there was absolutely no one on the beach. It was midweek and all were working. It was fabulous.

From there he took us to the Half Moon Bay and Resort for lunch. We loved this experience. As a side note, I have communicated with Victor Bodden since our tour and he indicated that this restaurant is his daughter's favorite place to go. We sat out on the patio. It was amazing. You looked to the right and saw the ocean, straight ahead and to the right and the very beautiful bay with small boats on it and quaint buildings lining the bay. The flooring was wood planks. We were actually sitting over the water and during the course of our lunch could feel water splashing up on our feet. Awesome! We paid $20 a piece for lunch. It included two lobster tails, a baked potato and a salad. It was very good. Not great, but good. We also had a Pina Colada. It was the best Pina Colada I have ever had and I've had my share. The service was also good.

From there we wanted to drive by a few of the beach resorts but not stop and he had mentioned an area where alot of Americans were purchasing homes. He took us by these areas. Very pretty and interesting to see the contrast between this residential area and the local area. From there we went to the Cameo Factory. Really our least favorite part of the trip. Some have seemed to really like this stop. For us, nothing to write home about. From there back to the pier, some shopping on the pier and then back on the ship.

It was truly an amazing day. It has to be the most personalized tour I have ever taken."

Ok got a e mail back from Victor today. After reading about how wonderful Tex was I asked for him but Victor said he was already busy the day we will be there, so I went though post to see who eles people were talking about, I asked for Kenny Joanne Hanno and others but they (1)were already busy that day or (2) No longer worked for him. I then said ok it does not matter, he then emailed me back and said that he gave us Laura for the day.

I went back to look and see if there was anything about her, not one review with her name. Has anyone gone on a tour with her. If so what did you think?

Please help, maybe someone out there can give me another name to ask for.

At least you got a name of a tour guide we didn't and we probably won't be using his services. I read that if his people are booked he contracts other people do do his tours for him. I not care for this and I would of used him only that to tell us he not know who our tour guide be until we arrive and seeing how many people here have gotten who they asked for or gotten a persons name such as yourself I just not feel like taking this tour any longer.

Ok got a e mail back from Victor today. After reading about how wonderful Tex was I asked for him but Victor said he was already busy the day we will be there, so I went though post to see who eles people were talking about, I asked for Kenny Joanne Hanno and others but they (1)were already busy that day or (2) No longer worked for him. I then said ok it does not matter, he then emailed me back and said that he gave us Laura for the day.

I went back to look and see if there was anything about her, not one review with her name. Has anyone gone on a tour with her. If so what did you think?

Please help, maybe someone out there can give me another name to ask for.[/quote

Did you try asking for Big Al ? We had him on our full day tour in early July while we were on Roatan for a week stay. We found him very easy to work with as we didn't want to do any tourist things but rather SEE Roatan. Off the beaten track so to speak. He was very informative and really friendly. I would definitely recommend him for a tour !

At least you got a name of a tour guide we didn't and we probably won't be using his services. I read that if his people are booked he contracts other people do do his tours for him. I not care for this and I would of used him only that to tell us he not know who our tour guide be until we arrive and seeing how many people here have gotten who they asked for or gotten a persons name such as yourself I just not feel like taking this tour any longer.

As a multi-Bodden user, we've always been happy with the guide we were assigned.

But for you, it's probably a good idea for you to cancel since you already have a negative attitude about your day in Roatan. In fairness, it would be nice if you let him know in advance since one of his 40+ guides will lose their daily pay if you don't show up without notice.

...somehow, though, I think you'll end up just being a no-show since it doesn't directly affect your wallet.

Last time I was in Roatan I just stayed at the beach all day in Mahogany Bay. It was peaceful since we were the only ship in that day.

This time, I want to do ziplining and some snorkelling. Seeing the island would also be nice. Do you think the Victor Bodden private tour would be a good option? It would just be two people. Or is there a better tour for ziplining and snorkelling that you know of?

I like the idea of a private tour, but for just two people adding the ziplining seems like it might be too expensive.

Just wanted other's thoughts on what they did and how it worked out. Thanks!

Edited by brifor

Thanks to all of you with guide recommendations, I just requested Tex last night and heard today he was available! His van holds only six.

Greatly looking forward to this tour!

Kathy

They can make accommodations to fit larger parties. My family will be there in two weeks. We have Tex reserved and there are 7 of us.

Oz9591 How come everybody I spoken to has gotten their guides name well in advance and I can't? We are the easiest people just want a nice sightseeing tour paying him for all day long probably be back within 3 hours 4 no later and just a scenic tour in the car. I have not heard from him since also.

Look everybody here knows who they getting but me.....

Oz9591 How come everybody I spoken to has gotten their guides name well in advance and I can't? We are the easiest people just want a nice sightseeing tour paying him for all day long probably be back within 3 hours 4 no later and just a scenic tour in the car. I have not heard from him since also.

Look everybody here knows who they getting but me.....

I wrote and requested guides for a few of my Bodden trips...have had Tex once and Lionel once, the last two times I just went with whoever was assigned when we got to the port (last minute bookings, so didn't bother making a guide request.)

Did you write and request a guide? I believe that is what most (all?) did on here from what I gather. You're not given a name in the Confirmation -- at least, I never have been provided one. But, once confirmed, I did write back to make requests on several of the trips.

We're planning on going again in December, requested Tex again and he had been already requested/reserved back in July. So, we again are just going to be happy with who we get! Can't wait to get a different perspective of island life and see all of the changes!

Thanks to all of you with guide recommendations, I just requested Tex last night and heard today he was available! His van holds only six.

Greatly looking forward to this tour!

Kathy

They can make accommodations to fit larger parties. My family will be there in two weeks. We have Tex reserved and there are 7 of us.

This is true for us too. I am there in November with 7 people and have Tex. Victor had him get a larger van.

Good to know that they are accomodating :D

This is true for us too. I am there in November with 7 people and have Tex. Victor had him get a larger van.

Good to know that they are accomodating :D

You guys are very fortunate. Tex really is great. A nice guy who told us alot about the island and gave us a really personal tour.

Have a great time in beautiful Roatan!