Victor Bodden "Best of Roatan Private Tour"

Jaymee287

We don't cruise on the Conquest until January, but I booked with Victor Bodden a couple of weeks ago after hearing others on our roll call already had booked with him. I didn't want to wait and find out later that he was all booked up. I'm not sure who our driver will be, he didn't say. But we are planning on doing the Carambola Gardens tour and the monkeys, and a drive around the island to see some of the highlights/photo opportunities.

Thanks to everyone on this thread who posted reviews and photos. :) I also read many good reviews on Trip Advisor too.

I would recommend emailing them back and requesting Tex if he is available. I've read wonderful things about most of the Bodden guides, but apparently Tex is much better than the rest. I was lucky enough to snag him for our cruise this October. Looking forward to it...

What is amount is recommended for tipping your guides? I want to be fair and not under pay a good guide..

I didnt really know either but I tipped 60.00 total for the two of us. Tex uses his own van, his own gas, does his own cleaning and maintenance. I figured since it was a private tour, more was appropriate. I am really interested to see what others say.

I didnt really know either but I tipped 60.00 total for the two of us. Tex uses his own van, his own gas, does his own cleaning and maintenance. I figured since it was a private tour, more was appropriate. I am really interested to see what others say.

Tipping $60 on a $50 excursion seems ridiculously high. Even if the two of you were alone and had to paid $80 instead of $50, the tip amount still seems exceptionally high.

We tipped our guide $40 for the four of us. You should also budget tip money if you do any of the extras such as zip lining or offshore snorkeling.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

What is amount is recommended for tipping your guides? I want to be fair and not under pay a good guide..

We, 2 of us, tipped 20 for a tour that was 80, 40 a piece. That was a 25% tip which I think is fair considering it went in cash to the guide and the guide has to give an undetermined amount of the 80 to Victor.

Hope I'm not too late. I didn't get back to the thread. I would say a large unless they run really big. He isn't a big guy but he does have a bit of a little bit of a belly.

I forgot I posted this and came across your response...Thank You and yes it was in time! :)

We did this on Wednesday and LOVED it! It was me (36), my husband (40) and our kids (11 and 7).

Olin (sp?) was our driver. He was quiet, but willing to answer all our questions.

We did zip lining at Pirates of the Caribbean and it was fantastic!

Then we visited the monkeys and other critters.

We'd do it again in a heartbeat!

MichelleinOC

I am so OCD on having everything planned and don't know exactly what to do in Roatan. I have Tex booked. My kids want to Zip Line, I want to explore the island and go to the beach, my nephew wants to snorkel.

What were some of the things he took you to? I am open to suggestions :D

So, so sorry I missed your post. Below is what we did. Keep in mind I was traveling with a friend who didn't want to do beaches, snorkel and isn't very active. Probably wouldn't be the ideal day for kids but perrhaps you can do some of the things we did and combine them with a trip to the beach for a snorkel and some zipline time. When you get in the van with Tex, discuss with him and he will make suggestions. He was so very flexible with us. Very interesting too. He talked to us about growing up on the island, education, etc.

"We cruised to Roatan back in 2009. She doesn't like beaches, is quite a bit overweight so doesn't like anything too active, etc. We booked a private tour with Victor Bodden. Our tour guide was Tex. We loved, loved, loved our day and still talk about it. At the time Princess still docked in Coxen Hole and not Mahogany Bay. Here is what we did:

When we got in the van with Tex we told him we primarily wanted to see the scenery and island highlights. We also wanted to see a catholic church if there was one as my friend is catholic. First, he drove us through the town of Coxen Hole. It is an area with alot of poverty but we did get to see how the locals live in this area, then he took us to a small catholic church. He told us the churches there aren't very ornate as on other islands. He was right but it was nice to see an island church. From there he took us on a tour of the island. We went by the airport, by the governor's mansion,to some lookout points where we some some shipwrecks, some other beautiful lookout points - one with a small flea market. Then he took us by the resort where his brother worked. I needed to use the facilities so he stopped there. I don't know the name of the resort but I can't even tell you how beautiful it was looking out over the bay and then to the ocean. There were several bungalows along the bay with thatched roofs. It was just so beautiful. Just like a commercial. That is the feeling we got time and time again as we toured the island.

From there we went to the interior a bit. He stopped at a produce stand and bought us some fruit. Don't remember what it was, never saw it before, but it was tasty. From there, he said he needed to stop by his house to pick something up and asked if we minded. Of course not, was our reply. At the time, he lived in a small house behind a larger house that was rented to island visitors. He was a caretaker for the larger house. The houses were on the beach and had a dock in front of them. When we walked out on the dock we could see the dolphin encounter in the distance. Again, so very beautiful! Amazing! We also met his two dogs. My understanding is that he doesn't live in this house anymore. From there we drove through that residential neighborhood and then he took us for a drive right on the beach. Yes, in the van right down the sand. Since we were in the local area there was absolutely no one on the beach. It was midweek and all were working. It was fabulous.

From there he took us to the Half Moon Bay and Resort for lunch. We loved this experience. As a side note, I have communicated with Victor Bodden since our tour and he indicated that this restaurant is his daughter's favorite place to go. We sat out on the patio. It was amazing. You looked to the right and saw the ocean, straight ahead and to the right and the very beautiful bay with small boats on it and quaint buildings lining the bay. The flooring was wood planks. We were actually sitting over the water and during the course of our lunch could feel water splashing up on our feet. Awesome! We paid $20 a piece for lunch. It included two lobster tails, a baked potato and a salad. It was very good. Not great, but good. We also had a Pina Colada. It was the best Pina Colada I have ever had and I've had my share. The service was also good.

From there we wanted to drive by a few of the beach resorts but not stop and he had mentioned an area where alot of Americans were purchasing homes. He took us by these areas. Very pretty and interesting to see the contrast between this residential area and the local area. From there we went to the Cameo Factory. Really our least favorite part of the trip. Some have seemed to really like this stop. For us, nothing to write home about. From there back to the pier, some shopping on the pier and then back on the ship.

It was truly an amazing day. It has to be the most personalized tour I have ever taken."

We used Bodden Tours last February and booked a Private Tour for 7 people.

We were not terrible impressed by the whole day.

I will first say that it rained for most of the day with a few periods of sunshine.

I don't remember the name of the person we got as a tourguide. I know it was not Tex, as he was booked.

He did not talk to us at all, just drove around the island.

He did stop first at Boddens office so that we could pay for our tour.

He stopped at one spot where they were selling souvenirs and you could get a view over one of the resorts.

He drove to West End and let us have about 30 minutes to walk around. Of course, with

everything wet and puddles everywhere, you couldn't do much.

Then he drove down a narrow road of buildings, stopped and asked us how long we wanted to stay at the beach. I don't even know which beach it was. None of us wanted beach time so we just continued on.

Then he dropped us off at the ship.

So, not the best tour we have ever taken. The weather didn't help, but we did expect the guide to offer more information about where we were driving and also maybe ask us what we were interested in seeing.

Would we book with Bodden again? Probably not.

Hopefully others have a much better time on their tours.

I am booking w/ Bodden, & hope we get a good guide...if he/she is not very talkative, I will simply ask questions - I hope that is not entirely necessary, but I sure hope to get some info as we tour...it seems like there should at least be some 'standard' for those who are paid & tipped to take us hither & thither?

We used Bodden Tours last February and booked a Private Tour for 7 people.

We were not terrible impressed by the whole day.

I will first say that it rained for most of the day with a few periods of sunshine.

I don't remember the name of the person we got as a tourguide. I know it was not Tex, as he was booked.

He did not talk to us at all, just drove around the island.

He did stop first at Boddens office so that we could pay for our tour.

He stopped at one spot where they were selling souvenirs and you could get a view over one of the resorts.

He drove to West End and let us have about 30 minutes to walk around. Of course, with

everything wet and puddles everywhere, you couldn't do much.

Then he drove down a narrow road of buildings, stopped and asked us how long we wanted to stay at the beach. I don't even know which beach it was. None of us wanted beach time so we just continued on.

Then he dropped us off at the ship.

So, not the best tour we have ever taken. The weather didn't help, but we did expect the guide to offer more information about where we were driving and also maybe ask us what we were interested in seeing.

Would we book with Bodden again? Probably not.

Hopefully others have a much better time on their tours.

Normally you would have your itinerary pretty much figured out before you even get there....... it should have been discussed during the booking process. As for "knowing" what you want - how can anyone know unless you tell them. I have found that if you are friendly and talk with the guide that is what you get back. It sounds like you were kind of expecting a tour with a set narrative and didn't really do any research or homework as to what there is to do and what might interest you. Why didn't you ask what beach you were at ? And the weather......well Mother Nature is gonna do what she is gonna do..... can't help that.

I am booking w/ Bodden, & hope we get a good guide...if he/she is not very talkative, I will simply ask questions - I hope that is not entirely necessary, but I sure hope to get some info as we tour...it seems like there should at least be some 'standard' for those who are paid & tipped to take us hither & thither?

Roatan is one of the few islands I've been in the Caribbean where I would say you might not get a "standard" tour. Especially with Victor Bodden's guides. If you really want a hither and thither tour I would suggest booking through your cruiseline. Please know I'm not saying this in any critical way at all.:) I just know that VB's tours are usually very personalized. I think the more experienced tour guides have more options to offer you as they have seen what many like. If you happen to get one of the less experienced tour guides you might not get the same attention. Just like any business, VB tours has entry to experienced level employees. You can request a specific tour guide by email with Victor or if a specific choice isn't available you can email Victor and ask him to pick one for you and let you know who it is and to also make suggestions as to what you might want to do. I found Victor very responsive and answered alot of questions. Keep in mind, though, that internet on Roatan can be spotty so it could take a few days for him to reply.

Do you pay for the Victor Bodden tour prior to getting there, or once you are on the tour?

I'm just curious, as if the ship were to miss out on the port for any reason, I was wondering if you would get a refund if you pay ahead of time??

Thanks for the response - and sorry if it is already answered somewhere, I scanned through and didn't notice!!

Happy Sailing

Do you pay for the Victor Bodden tour prior to getting there, or once you are on the tour?

I'm just curious, as if the ship were to miss out on the port for any reason, I was wondering if you would get a refund if you pay ahead of time??

Thanks for the response - and sorry if it is already answered somewhere, I scanned through and didn't notice!!

Happy Sailing

You pay your guide for the tour at the end of the day when he or she brings you back to the port. It was a wonderful tour, and I think you will love Roatan!

You pay your guide for the tour at the end of the day when he or she brings you back to the port. It was a wonderful tour, and I think you will love Roatan!

Thank you so much for the quick reply! Hearing this makes me very happy and I think we will be leaning towards booking one of his tours ... they seem much more interesting and more economical than the ship tours!

We loved it so much last year, that we have the tour with the same guide booked for this fall, and we're taking other people with us! You can't beat $25.00 per person (4 or more people). We ate at a little local place that was fabulous! Don't forget to take a little extra cash to tip your guide if you decide to. Victor Bodden's tours are the way to go for us! Make sure you do a little research on Roatan and let Victor know what you want to do on your tour. Of course, you can always change it up when you get there. The guides are usually pretty flexible....and wonderful!

Normally you would have your itinerary pretty much figured out before you even get there....... it should have been discussed during the booking process. As for "knowing" what you want - how can anyone know unless you tell them. I have found that if you are friendly and talk with the guide that is what you get back. It sounds like you were kind of expecting a tour with a set narrative and didn't really do any research or homework as to what there is to do and what might interest you. Why didn't you ask what beach you were at ? And the weather......well Mother Nature is gonna do what she is gonna do..... can't help that.

We did send some emails back and forth to Victor outlining what we were interested in seeing. Also had pages printed of the history of the islands and highlights to see. At times I knew where we were due to the pre-cruise research.

We did tell him that we were not interested in beach time and wanted to see the island and maybe stop for a bite to eat.

The driver just didn't seem very happy driving us around. And again, the weather was terrible, fairly heavy rain most of the day. That most likely also played into our enjoyment of the tour.

I'm sure most of Victor's drivers are really good and he has both drivers that work for him and drivers that he contracts out the tours.

While our tour wasn't the best, I wouldn't discourage anyone from using Bodden Tours, but you know that there are no guarantees.

And everyone did give tips to the driver, since it is his means of making a living.

Edited by OVgirl

We did send some emails back and forth to Victor outlining what we were interested in seeing. Also had pages printed of the history of the islands and highlights to see. At times I knew where we were due to the pre-cruise research.

We did tell him that we were not interested in beach time and wanted to see the island and maybe stop for a bite to eat.

The driver just didn't seem very happy driving us around. And again, the weather was terrible, fairly heavy rain most of the day. That most likely also played into our enjoyment of the tour.

I'm sure most of Victor's drivers are really good and he has both drivers that work for him and drivers that he contracts out the tours.

While our tour wasn't the best, I wouldn't discourage anyone from using Bodden Tours, but you know that there are no guarantees.

And everyone did give tips to the driver, since it is his means of making a living.

Hmm, sounds like the weather put a damper on everyones spirits that day. I would imagine it is hard to tour with hard rain since most everything is about being outside and seeing views etc..... I guess we have been very lucky in all our travels with guides. *knock on wood* :D

We used Victor Bodden back in 2010. We booked the private tour..and boy was it PRIVATE! My DH and I had the van all to ourselves. Upon exiting the boat, and the "carnival owned" area, we walked up over a hill to locate our driver. It was a bit scary at first as there were tons of locals shouting at us to come with them. At one point, my DH looked at me and said "Are you sure this is safe?". Being that there was a family with small children walking right behind us, I told him yes. As I said, there were tons of local operators yelling at us to go with them, but once we told them we were looking for Victor Bodden, they graciously pointed us in the right direction.

Our driver "Mr.Zethro" was holding up a sign that read "Victor Bodden Tours". The van was air conditioned, and very roomie....could have probably held 6-8 people. Mr. Zethro asked us where we wanted to go, and being that it was our first time to Roatan, we had no idea. So, he pretty much drove us all over the island, with stops for pictures, or pretty much whatever we wanted. He always locked the van when we got out, and also guarded us against locals who were trying to sell us things. We also made a stop at the beach where he allowed us to swim as long as we wanted. In addition, he took us to Victor Bodden's house (where the zip lines are), and for about $10 extra we walked around the wild animal area and held the monkeys. They were cute, but I could do without this experience again.

We got back to the boat terminal with plenty of time. In fact, we had enough time to walk around the shops in the "carnival owned" area, before getting back on the boat....again with plenty of time! The whole trip cost around $80....I'm not sure how much we tipped him, but I would guess (knowing DH) around $20 or so for the tour.

We really enjoyed the tour, and raved about it being our favorite part! Mr. Zethro was very professional, and even gave us his business card, and told us to ask for him the next time we were in Honduras. Well, I can tell you that we may just do that. We are going to Roatan again in October, and I'm thinking of booking the "Zip and Dip" tour as I wanted to spend more time in the West End.

Hope this review helped!

We just returned from Roatan on the Legend. Having read so many positive reviews of Victor Bodden's tours, we arranged for a driver for the day for $25 each. We had a party of six, so we requested it be private. We had no problem finding the group of Victor's guides just over the crest of the hill. Victor send very good directions regarding meeting prior to our sailing.

Our guide was Francisco, Victor's brother. He was very friendly and gave a nice tour, informative without going overboard. He took us to several tourist resorts to see the sights but also to many local neighborhoods and viewpoints. We had asked for some local shopping so he included two points with local vendors.

We chose to zipline and visit with the monkeys. The zipline was not as scary as some and the guides were fun and careful. Everyone had a good time, even those of us who are nervous nellies! If you are worried, you can have a guide tandem zip with you and you just enjoy the view!

The monkeys were so much fun, really one of the highlights of the trip. Listen to the guide regarding how to interact and you will have a lot of fun. They will grab for hats, glasses, jewelry etc., so if that worries you leave them outside! The monkeys clearly enjoyed the interaction! They also had several other native wildlife to observe such as a lemur, deer, parrots, toucan. This was included in the zip line tour and a nice bonus!

We had a short port time in Roatan, so we did not have as much time at the beach as we might have liked (wish Carnival would make it a longer stop!). We went to West Bay Beach and walked in the water a bit, but no time for swimming or lunch. If we had more time I would have like to have lunch there or enjoy the beautiful swimming area.

So, I would not hesitate to use Victor Bodden Tours again. We had one of our most enjoyable days with Francisco!